Who rebuilds/modifies Thermoquads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

70GS455

Who rebuilds/modifies Thermoquads?

Post by 70GS455 »

Since I have not been able to contact DemonSizzler, does anyone know who can rebuild and modify for performance a Carter Thermoquad?
Scott
FGaspare
Re: Who rebuilds/modifies Thermoquads?

Post by FGaspare »

Call Dave Cunningham @ 330-386-3688 ,he's over by Youngstown, ohio. Just did one for me, very happy , he does quadrajets too. You will not be disappointed !
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

70GS455 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:29 pm Since I have not been able to contact DemonSizzler, does anyone know who can rebuild and modify for performance a Carter Thermoquad?
The modern day version of the of the Thermoquad is the Holley "Street Demon". Designed by the same guy that did the AFB, AVS, and the original Thermoquad.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

The few Holley Street Demon carbs I have seen are poorly made & a poor cousin to the original TQ. Probably because it is made by Holley......

Jon Hardgrove, CarbKing, of Eldon Missouri, should be able to advise you. He has heaps of parts & the TQ is his favourite carb. He runs one on his Pontiac. Great carbs, stick with it.
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

The Thermoquad, my favorite carb! It's really a shame that they quit making them, it's probably the most flexible carb ever designed. Can be tuned to work on a slant 6 to a 500ci stroker.
I have 2 of them on a Weiand tunnel ram on my 605 Street Hemi.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Quick, I'm with you. Probably the most underrated carb of all the 4bbls. I have fitted quite a few to many different cars.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Fireonthemountain wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm
70GS455 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:29 pm Since I have not been able to contact DemonSizzler, does anyone know who can rebuild and modify for performance a Carter Thermoquad?
The modern day version of the of the Thermoquad is the Holley "Street Demon". Designed by the same guy that did the AFB, AVS, and the original Thermoquad.
Who is this "same guy" ? He would be an interesting guy to talk to.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

I have a TQuad that Demon Sizzler rebuilt and tuned a few years back. I never used it so it is still ready to go in the box. I'll sell it if you need one. I took it to a swap meet and had a $50 price tag on it and nobody was interested so they must not be worth much.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

Tuner wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:41 am
Fireonthemountain wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm
Who is this "same guy" ? He would be an interesting guy to talk to.
No idea, but they probably worked for Carter. That little tidbit was in a rather obscure article, on the Street demons, when they first came out. Many of the parts do interchange and they are all of a similar design it seems to me. I wish I had a name for you Tuner and I bet he would have some good info and stories. Now, here is an interesting point. When did the Street Demon actually get designed. It could have been many decades ago, especially with the 3 barrel secondary instead of the two large Thermoquad barrels.
Daniel Jones
Pro
Pro

Post by Daniel Jones »

Andy,

If the other guy passes on the ThermoQuad, I'll buy it.

Thanks,
Dan Jones
70GS455

Post by 70GS455 »

andyf wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:23 pm
I have a TQuad that Demon Sizzler rebuilt and tuned a few years back. I never used it so it is still ready to go in the box. I'll sell it if you need one. I took it to a swap meet and had a $50 price tag on it and nobody was interested so they must not be worth much.
Can you tell me a little about it? What is carb number? What was its intended applicatiion and setup? Any ideas of any mods to it?
Scott
Sonofthatguy

Post by Sonofthatguy »

I was helping my nephew do a school project about our family history when we came across this old thread. I was shocked to see that guys still talk about the Carter Thermoquad. I hope you still find it of interest. I grew up hearing my dad talk about it constantly and spent many evening and weekend hours watching him work on it and many other carbs. Those carbs were his life. I always hated when he left to go spend weeks in the Arizona desert testing them. But then he put it in Carter's dragster which I got to see and I was a very excited kid. You see...my dad was the lead design engineer for Carter all of my childhood. He always said the thermoquad was his greatest design. He's 90 now, still has his health, and still living in St. Louis. When I told him about you guys and that I was going to post here he asked me not to. He's a very humble man. So I won't mention his name. He told me he still has the thermoquad prototype (the first one ever built). If you have questions for him I will pass them along and give you his answers. But I'm not sure how much he will remember. It's a shame that engineers rarely get credit for their designs. Through Carter he has 105 patented designs.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

andyf wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:23 pm
when so many people approve, you should re=think things....best factory carb ever produced for small blocks.. :idea:
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

Son of that Guy, tell your father Thank You for me!! It's a crime they stopped production. It is absolutely the most flexible and underappreciated carb ever made. I even modified one to run on E-85.
I remember once reading a quote by an Engineer from Rochester, " The Thermoquad is the next evolutionary step in carb design".
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Aren't, "TQ's", 1,000 cfm stock??

And the, "Q-Jets", either 750 or 800 cfm stock? I can tell which by looking down inside for the little 1/2 moon shaped, "tits", that are on the front/back??, barrels because these are used for mixture distribution help on the 800 cfm carbs, At least I think??

I think that I have read way long ago that the only drawback on TQ's as that the plastic body MIGHT warp a skoch??

pdq67