science project

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

barnym17
Guru
Guru
science project

Post by barnym17 »

My 9 year old grandson learned the principles behind a simple inductive ignition system when we did his science project today. Also how to solder, use heat shrink, and get his mom to grab the plug wire and get bit lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barnym17
Guru
Guru
Re: science project

Post by barnym17 »

The button acts as the ignition switch, the flasher makes and breaks the primary resulting in spark as long as you hold the button down.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

=D> =D> =D>
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

That's a great science project. Some good knowledge passed along! =D>
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

barnym17 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:52 am My 9 year old grandson learned the principles behind a simple inductive ignition system when we did his science project today. Also how to solder, use heat shrink, and get his mom to grab the plug wire and get bit lol.
To provide him the opportunity to begin understanding the difference between inductance and capacitance........

If he adds a capacitor in the circuit, from coil - neg. to ground, AKA "condenser" in points ignition, it should make hotter spark and increase life of the mechanical contacts in the flasher. (unless that flasher is the solid state electronic type, then ... nevermind ...)

The next task in the lesson plan is for him to figure out why the capacitor increases contact life.

Using a set of actual ignition contact points in the circuit as an alternative to the flasher will allow visually observing the arcing between the contacts as they open to break the circuit, so a comparison between with and without the capacitor can be easily recognized in the primary circuit and also in the spark plug gap in the secondary circuit .
B Original

Post by B Original »

Tuner wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:36 am
The next task in the lesson plan is for him to figure out why the capacitor increases contact life.

Using a set of actual ignition contact points in the circuit as an alternative to the flasher will allow visually observing the arcing between the contacts as they open to break the circuit, so a comparison between with and without the capacitor can be easily recognized in the primary circuit and also in the spark plug gap in the secondary circuit .
Wrong! Not exactly, its time for a distraction now where you show him how to hold the charged capacitor and tell him to hand this to your grandma while asking for another beer for grandpa :lol: [-X :lol:
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I love it! Being the I work with kids in the Boy Scouts, well it used to be boy scouts and is not called Scouts BSA, I should keep something simple like that around to teach them with. It is great to pass along the science that many of us take for granted. Probably the best post I have seen in a while. Not because of what it taught me, but because of the effect it might have on the future.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Hopefully, the teachers judging the projects will be smart enough to understand it.
Years ago, my son's project showed how sound waves could pass thru a solid mass, and move objects on the other side of the mass.
His science teacher said he should have won, but it went over the heads of the judges.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

CamKing wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 pm Hopefully, the teachers judging the projects will be smart enough to understand it.
Years ago, my son's project showed how sound waves could pass thru a solid mass, and move objects on the other side of the mass.
His science teacher said he should have won, but it went over the heads of the judges.
And most here. :D
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

MTENGINES wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:48 pm
CamKing wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 pm Hopefully, the teachers judging the projects will be smart enough to understand it.
And most here. :D
:roll:
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Connect a points condenser to the green and white wires of the flasher can. Also, given the very slow spark rate, you don’t need 18 volts worth of battery. Connect the three of them in parallel for 6 volts but 3 times the amps capacity.
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

I got told that day he needed to do a project, this was a hurry up deal with stuff I had laying around. I didn't have a condenser looked high and low in the garage. I did one with his dad eons ago using an msd box and dual point distributor to show the output difference between inductive and capacitive discharge units. Little dude loves fast cars, 4 wheelers etc, he is happiest when we are in the garage or at the track.Unless its football season lol.
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

Results=A 2nd place in judging.