A3 ford nascar heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

A3 ford nascar heads

Post by Steve.k » Sat May 05, 2018 6:52 pm

IMG_2538.JPG
Whats the most power you guys have seen from these?Heres the first pulls on new Trackboss Block. Had some minor issues on dyno should resume pulls shortly. . So far 761@6900 and 603 ftlbs at 5800. Should find more mules this week. Keep in mind this is not as wild as one could go. Its one that fits our budget.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

createaaron
Member
Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by createaaron » Sat May 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Been following this build for awhile. What is the bore/stroke combo?

I've seen yates headed motors, in the 400 cu/in range, making 2+ hp/ cube

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by Steve.k » Sat May 05, 2018 10:41 pm

14:1 racetecs
4.155 x4
Dual 1050 sheet metal intake
Camresearch cam .780 lift
266-272@.050 on 112
A3 nascar heads with narrowed c3 style ports 377@.800 and 256@800
Kevko bulged pan.
2" x 4 inch collector.

user-17438

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by user-17438 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:59 am

what makes 2.0hp/ci @358" might only make 1.74 @430 your question is misleading. ive seen old Yates heads make 800hp. but then againive seen them only make 710.. soo does it have enough area for the target rpm? enough intake mainfold? Carb .etc

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by Steve.k » Sun May 06, 2018 9:42 am

IMG_2575.PNG
Just curious trying to crack the 800 hp plateau. We think we have enough hardware there but maybe not.Heres our hp graph so far. We think the turn up top is when we pulled out of it when we acquired a leak on oil adapter. Hard to tell i guess till we resume this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DrillDawg
Expert
Expert
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:03 am

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by DrillDawg » Sun May 06, 2018 11:20 am

Swedge your 4" collector down to 3" and make it a total of 18" long.
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by Frankshaft » Sun May 06, 2018 11:32 am

That engine is BEGGING for a real camshaft. I bet there is 50-60 easy from a camshaft. 20 more on both sides, and more lift. It will obviously run at higher rpm, and move the power band way up, but, it will come alive. That's my advice.

Is this a Tmeyer block? A buddy of mine sent me a screen shot of the build from Facebook. Nice build, and I am glad to see Tim with useable blocks now. My first thought, man, that thing needs way more camshaft. I am assuming its a drag race piece with the sheet metal tunnel ram and 2 carbs?

If the heads flow 377, simple math will give you an idea of what that amount of cfm can potentially make. With a sheet metal tunnel ram, and 2 1050's, 2.3-2.4 hp/cfm is possible, which is 860-900 ish, depending on many things obviously, but it is possible.

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by Steve.k » Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 am

Yes that is Trackboss number 1. Tims project yes. The engine will eventually go into a 3000lb drag car. Scott figured much more cam than that will be useless in car. Also we strapped for air here density altitude is 4500+ usually. But hey maybe we are wrong. I also thought more duration required.

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by Frankshaft » Sun May 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Steve.k wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 am
Yes that is Trackboss number 1. Tims project yes. The engine will eventually go into a 3000lb drag car. Scott figured much more cam than that will be useless in car. Also we strapped for air here density altitude is 4500+ usually. But hey maybe we are wrong. I also thought more duration required.
Not saying anyone is wrong, but, I promise you, in a drag car, rpm is your friend, if you want to be as fast as possible. If its just a bracket race deal, and its not about max performance, I understand that too. Not everyone needs or wants to get everything out of it. If it was mine, I would have a lot more cam in it, target 8000 rpm for peak power, shift about 8400 and clip the stripe at about 8500. It would have a 6800 converter and the gear required to hit those rpm's. It will be WAY quicker and faster that way.

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by Steve.k » Sun May 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Thanks Frankshaft we will make pulls this week and see where we end up. We are getting tight on p/v clearance so even upping duration might get close. We will do the math and see how much wiggle room we have. I beleive your right on the 8000-8500 is where the heads would like to be.

user-17438

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by user-17438 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Frankshaft wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:32 am
That engine is BEGGING for a real camshaft. I bet there is 50-60 easy from a camshaft. 20 more on both sides, and more lift. It will obviously run at higher rpm, and move the power band way up, but, it will come alive. That's my advice.

Is this a Tmeyer block? A buddy of mine sent me a screen shot of the build from Facebook. Nice build, and I am glad to see Tim with useable blocks now. My first thought, man, that thing needs way more camshaft. I am assuming its a drag race piece with the sheet metal tunnel ram and 2 carbs?

If the heads flow 377, simple math will give you an idea of what that amount of cfm can potentially make. With a sheet metal tunnel ram, and 2 1050's, 2.3-2.4 hp/cfm is possible, which is 860-900 ish, depending on many things obviously, but it is possible.
wow, i just saw how small that cam was, i was looking at the graph and noticed you need to make peak torque higher.

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by Steve.k » Sun May 06, 2018 3:25 pm

I will say for not having to work it to hard power is decent.

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by Frankshaft » Mon May 07, 2018 9:11 am

Steve.k wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:25 pm
I will say for not having to work it to hard power is decent.
I would agree. It should still run good. Not sure what your et/mph goals are, but, at the altitude you say, and the weight, It should run deep in the 9's at 140+.

DrillDawg
Expert
Expert
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:03 am

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by DrillDawg » Mon May 07, 2018 12:41 pm

I would like to see the uncorrected numbers.
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

Re: A3 ford nascar heads

Post by Steve.k » Mon May 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Well I think Fairmont is around 1000ft so likely not much correction factor. Not like where i live. I thought remember seeing A/d around 700ft on dyno day.

Post Reply