Engine machine shop destroyed my block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

John@RED
Engine machine shop destroyed my block

Post by John@RED »

A wonderful engine machine shop just made the bores 0.00008 to 0.00015 bigger than what I asked:
what can I do now to save the block, except sleeving it, beside asking them for damages?
:evil:
steve316
Expert
Expert

Re: Engine machine shop destroyed my block

Post by steve316 »

run it you will never know
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

chuckle
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

John@RED wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:03 am A wonderful engine machine shop just made the bores 0.00008 to 0.00015 bigger than what I asked:
what can I do now to save the block, except sleeving it, beside asking them for damages?
Change the temperature of your shop and remeasure.
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

Obviously that was sarcasm but it reminds me of a block that I checked for a Ford dealer once. Newer truck was getting a new replacement block 351W for some reason. The mechanic thought the pistons from the old block felt loose in the bores. They sent it over with the spec sheet from Ford still attached. The spec on the bores was 4.0000" (-0.0000" + .0040"). It was 4.0040" right on the nose. I know I've fretted over a few tenths too big but then I remember that Ford block.
Big bald guy

Post by Big bald guy »

"Chuckle"
I see what you did there Dave...
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

John@RED wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:03 am A wonderful engine machine shop just made the bores 0.00008 to 0.00015 bigger than what I asked:
Please describe the measuring process used to determine 80-150 millionths.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

x2 with head guy!
If that veriation bothers you , then don't even want to know how the Bore size can change from side to side and top to bottom just from normal differences in coolant temps seem within a running motor!

Your rabid over nothing!!!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
B Original

Post by B Original »

John I get the feeling you may have your decimal point in the wrong place I suggest remeasuring the cylinder and verify you're measurements and re-post if necessary
tjz450

Post by tjz450 »

Geesh, who's your machinist. I need to take my stuff to him.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

WOW a knats azz crack and complaining.WOW
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Geesh, who's your machinist. I need to take my stuff to him

lOVE IT me too , all my work heading that way now
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

B Original wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:10 am
John I get the feeling you may have your decimal point in the wrong place I suggest remeasuring the cylinder and verify you're measurements and re-post if necessary
John: This is the only right answer here, You other guys are not helping at all....John you have wrong info....Oldhead
Quicker then most
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

Decimal point in the wrong place has to be what makes this make sense.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

tenxal wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:57 am
Please describe the measuring process used to determine 80-150 millionths.
lol.. right. Surprised no one else even assumed those nearly immeasurable numbers could be off right away in this thread. Would guess it's more likely .0008 to .0015. And if that's closer to reality?.. then hardly what most would call "ruined".

I'd do 3 things there and then just run it.

1st. Ask for a partial refund since it never hurts to ask. Be politely firm but seem highly agreeable and could also bait them a little by saying something like.. "was planning on bringing XXX parts in to have more work done in the near future but now have concerns about them not standing behind their workmanship". That puts them in a situation where they think they can reabsorb some losses related to this partially refunded job towards future invoiced work.

2nd. Gap the rings to fit those specific bore diameters. IIRC, and I may not, every .001" of bore increase results in around .003 larger ring end gap. If you need to order new +.005" "gap to fit" rings then I would first try to swap them out at place of purchase, or if non-returnable?.. ask the machine shop to pay for them due to the larger overbore.. or just order you a set from their distributor and swap yours out.

3rd. Once the issue has been remedied to the acceptable outcome.. run like hell away from that shop cause being .0015" out on an overbore/hone job is downright horrible quality control regardless of how it happened.