Chevy S10 4.3l Sunday stealth project

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Chevy S10 4.3l Sunday stealth project

Post by Newold1 »

Some people like to twist the controls to achieve questionable results they think are important. I am not one of those people. When it comes to producing and extracting power and torque from an engine I think it is important to use the effectiveness and success of changes and modifications to determine how far one will go "down the rabbit hole" for a result. It is important to look at how much a particular "change" can do to produce a more powerful engine and that is done with real TESTING and VERIFICATION and if it is just a person saying "it just felt as it had more performance and seemed snappier ".

Your flow improvements to a throttle body are relative especially where the cost of the throttle body and performance expected by the OEM was the driving factor, was your objective but I feel if you really want to show the improvement then try and use a real method of testing and verification of that improvement.

I understand that finding small improvements can add up to a worthwhile addition to an engine but small power improvements can and usually are the hardest to test and prove but it should be done in my opinion especially before anyone spends there time( money) to chase these very small changes.

This dimples and finish of air flow areas can and have been shown to make a slight difference in some cases, but if they "were the cat's meow" you would see them more highly incorporated in all engines where added power was being chased. In reality we don't see a lot of these small and in many cases unverified changes incorporated because the change was so small and economically unjustified that they just sort of fade away.

If a friend or customer of yours CAN and will use your expertise and efforts to achieve more real power he wants then he has to be prepared to invest (money) and support to proceed with meaningful changes. Many here put forth some good change advise and they all obviously involve money, time and effort. If the owner wants real meaningful power added to his 4.3L V6 then he has to make that effort in my opinion.

If something you design and develop is worthwhile,then TEST it with verified methods and show its worth. :) JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Some people like to twist the controls to achieve questionable results they think are important. I am not one of those people. When it comes to producing and extracting power and torque from an engine I think it is important to use the effectiveness and success of changes and modifications to determine how far one will go "down the rabbit hole" for a result. It is important to look at how much a particular "change" can do to produce a more powerful engine and that is done with real TESTING and VERIFICATION and if it is just a person saying "it just felt as it had more performance and seemed snappier ".

Your flow improvements to a throttle body are relative especially where the cost of the throttle body and performance expected by the OEM was the driving factor, was your objective but I feel if you really want to show the improvement then try and use a real method of testing and verification of that improvement.

I understand that finding small improvements can add up to a worthwhile addition to an engine but small power improvements can and usually are the hardest to test and prove but it should be done in my opinion especially before anyone spends there time( money) to chase these very small changes.

This dimples and finish of air flow areas can and have been shown to make a slight difference in some cases, but if they "were the cat's meow" you would see them more highly incorporated in all engines where added power was being chased. In reality we don't see a lot of these small and in many cases unverified changes incorporated because the change was so small and economically unjustified that they just sort of fade away.

If a friend or customer of yours CAN and will use your expertise and efforts to achieve more real power he wants then he has to be prepared to invest (money) and support to proceed with meaningful changes. Many here put forth some good change advise and they all obviously involve money, time and effort. If the owner wants real meaningful power added to his 4.3L V6 then he has to make that effort in my opinion.

If something you design and develop is worthwhile,then TEST it with verified methods and show its worth. :) JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

CharlieB53 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:34 pm Some claim hp can be had by removing the 'thinbg' on the throttle plate. Factory has this 'wedge' that reduces air flow at small throttle settings. The throttle must be about half way open before that side with the wedge allows much air flow.

I didn't want to just remove the wedge as I figured it might make the throttle very touchy. So I take the wedge to my 6" belt sander and ground about half of it off, leaving the fist stage intact. Throttle is a bit touchier than before, and I figure at WOT there is less restriction than the original.

Combined with the 'tune', trans reprogram, lack of limiters, it runs OK for stock.
Unless my teenage drivers or my wife's expected to drive it in the snow.. I'll take every bit of throttle response I can get.