Moderator: Team

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Chevy S10 4.3l Sunday stealth project

Post by midnightbluS10 »

groberts101 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:15 pm
Carnut1 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm
Before the Sunday project he was thinking of a full 4.3l build. We will see if a few extra ft/lbs get him hooked for more.
I have cash in hand that says the shiny new wears off in two weeks or less! And far less than that if he puts it up against something he's raced before as a comparison.

And to be clear, I was not dissing your abilities or achievement there.. just a pessimistic and cynical realist created from hanging around and driving plenty of them 4.3's(I was and still are a 4.3 lover too) gives some added perspective to the actual power numbers generated at the end of a quarter mile.. or freeway ramp, or stoplight to stoplight, or whatever.

Good motors for what they were.. but with the amount of good LS motors sitting around the parts yards and bolt in swap kit availability these days.. not worth dumping money into a "seasoned motor". Been there done that.. blew the rings out of my last one since all that added cylinder pressure made it run so well. Had turbo parts for it but the shortblock never made it that far. :mrgreen:
Just a K&N FIPK intake and Dynomax catback on my 2nd gen 4 door Blazer put it over a second faster than stock, which is single cab S10 territory. It's faster than any other 2nd gen truck or suv I've driven and I'm not just saying that because I own it. I drove quite a few s-series trucks when I worked at the Chevy dealership. Every time, I couldn't believe how much they felt like they were being held back. From a dead stop, it always felt like they were all pulling a couple thousand pounds where my truck takes off hard. I didn't do any before & after testing in my own truck or anything. Just after and comparing that to the many other stock trucks Ive driven.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 am
groberts101 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:15 pm
Carnut1 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm
Before the Sunday project he was thinking of a full 4.3l build. We will see if a few extra ft/lbs get him hooked for more.
I have cash in hand that says the shiny new wears off in two weeks or less! And far less than that if he puts it up against something he's raced before as a comparison.

And to be clear, I was not dissing your abilities or achievement there.. just a pessimistic and cynical realist created from hanging around and driving plenty of them 4.3's(I was and still are a 4.3 lover too) gives some added perspective to the actual power numbers generated at the end of a quarter mile.. or freeway ramp, or stoplight to stoplight, or whatever.

Good motors for what they were.. but with the amount of good LS motors sitting around the parts yards and bolt in swap kit availability these days.. not worth dumping money into a "seasoned motor". Been there done that.. blew the rings out of my last one since all that added cylinder pressure made it run so well. Had turbo parts for it but the shortblock never made it that far. :mrgreen:
Just a K&N FIPK intake and Dynomax catback on my 2nd gen 4 door Blazer put it over a second faster than stock, which is single cab S10 territory. It's faster than any other 2nd gen truck or suv I've driven and I'm not just saying that because I own it. I drove quite a few s-series trucks when I worked at the Chevy dealership. Every time, I couldn't believe how much they felt like they were being held back. From a dead stop, it always felt like they were all pulling a couple thousand pounds where my truck takes off hard. I didn't do any before & after testing in my own truck or anything. Just after and comparing that to the many other stock trucks Ive driven.
Yes, I had a 99 Blazer 2 door 4x4 5 speed 4.3 and it was slightly doggy until until about 4000 rpm and then a relative rush of power to 5000....In fact my 03 Silverado 4.8 V8 5 speed is similar...A "rush" of power that kicks in around 4000 and pulls harder until the 5500 rpm limiter.I have also noticed this on late 90's 4.0 Jeep Cherokees ..Might be emission related tuning ???
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I think I’m going to have to look at the intake tract on my ‘99 suburban a little closer now!

Just welding up the exhaust (apparently leaking a bit and affecting the O2 sensors) and stock sized tires on (1.5” shorter than what was on it) made a noticeable difference. If I can get a little more duplicating what you did I would be happy
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

travis wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:30 am I think I’m going to have to look at the intake tract on my ‘99 suburban a little closer now!

Just welding up the exhaust (apparently leaking a bit and affecting the O2 sensors) and stock sized tires on (1.5” shorter than what was on it) made a noticeable difference. If I can get a little more duplicating what you did I would be happy
I have been doing this type of mild hot rodding since the 80's starting with tbi trucks and Camaros. NY was a pain with emissions but this never gave me code problems and did not seem to bother the speed density either.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

MadBill wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:06 pm
Carnut1 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:09 pm 0408181047.jpgAnyone else using a rough surface treatment on a throttle body?
I talked with a guy at the Mosport Ontario track last summer that has designed and sells a line of 3D-printed* air bells with dimpled inner surfaces: https://custompolycast.com/ *(or maybe just the prototype I saw)
velo-stak3.jpg
Interesting MadBill. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Carnut1 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:37 pm
Carnut1 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:09 pm 0408181047.jpgAnyone else using a rough surface treatment on a throttle body?
I talked with a guy at the Mosport Ontario track last summer that has designed and sells a line of 3D-printed* air bells with dimpled inner surfaces: https://custompolycast.com/ *(or maybe just the prototype I saw)
velo-stak3.jpg Interesting MadBill. Thanks
I can only assume it was developed on the flowbench and tested on an engine but still have to wonder.. why didn't they dimple the bells entry area as well?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I would think the same reason a smooth ssr and a rough port works.
631-816-4911
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

groberts101 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 pm

I can only assume it was developed on the flowbench and tested on an engine but still have to wonder.. why didn't they dimple the bells entry area as well?
He didn't talk about the development time or process but said it finished up with ~ 2.5% more flow but had not yet been dynoed.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

With no emissions testing or inspection here, I also pulled the converter off after it got plugged up from my stupidity about 7 yrs ago. I thought it was plugged already so I beat on it with a hammer to see if it rattled. That broke the stuff inside and allowed it to flip sideways and block flow every now & then. It got replaced with a "test pipe" which did more for the sound of my truck than the 2.5" mandrel bent Dynomax single exit catback did alone. Combined, they made a huge difference to the sound and performance level, IMO.

Fortunately, I figured out a fix for my truck until I could remove the cat. Unplugging the EGR valve released the built up backpressure and I could fimally go faster than 20mph.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

MadBill wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:13 pm
He didn't talk about the development time or process but said it finished up with ~ 2.5% more flow but had not yet been dynoed.
2.5% total gain in an open straight section of a velocity stack? lol.. I smell a salesman, Bill.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I did some calculation today about gains made on the hat and throttle body. Nobody yelled b.s., well it isn't but I cannot say how accurate it is either over the benches rating. I will say I think the rough surface is worth some flow on the throttle body. How much I can't say. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Sometimes you guys kind of drift off into somewhere in space and the next thing you'll be discussing on this thread is how to get blood out of a turnip!
LOL, :lol: Earth to Speedtalkers, please come back to earth and let's get back on the subject of a 4.3L V-6 performance again or put this thing to bed!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Newold1 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:03 pm Sometimes you guys kind of drift off into somewhere in space and the next thing you'll be discussing on this thread is how to get blood out of a turnip!
LOL, :lol: Earth to Speedtalkers, please come back to earth and let's get back on the subject of a 4.3L V-6 performance again or put this thing to bed!
Only slighly off in space.... How do you pros deal with flows higher than your bench can keep up with? Just flow it at 10" and convert?
631-816-4911
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

groberts101 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:18 pm
MadBill wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:13 pm

2.5% total gain in an open straight section of a velocity stack? lol.. I smell a salesman, Bill.
I suppose he could have meant for the dimpled stack vs. none, but that would be misleading...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
CharlieB53
Pro
Pro

Post by CharlieB53 »

Some claim hp can be had by removing the 'thinbg' on the throttle plate. Factory has this 'wedge' that reduces air flow at small throttle settings. The throttle must be about half way open before that side with the wedge allows much air flow.

I didn't want to just remove the wedge as I figured it might make the throttle very touchy. So I take the wedge to my 6" belt sander and ground about half of it off, leaving the fist stage intact. Throttle is a bit touchier than before, and I figure at WOT there is less restriction than the original.

Combined with the 'tune', trans reprogram, lack of limiters, it runs OK for stock.