Gen3 Hemi cylinder damage

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Gen3 Hemi cylinder damage

Post by Krooser »

I have a 2014 5.7 in my shop... I bought it from a local guy who bought the car as a rebuilder. It was a left rear hit. He made a deal with the Dodge dealer he bought it from to replace the 5.7 with a 6.1/392... they did a little shady deal and did the upgrade under warranty (long story). He got the original engine back to keep.

He was honest with me and said the engine had a little noise... he thought it was the infamous Hemi Tick starting in... honestly he's not a mechanic but a great body guy. The guy could repair the Titanic with enough welding wire and Bondo.

So now I have torn it down... I pulled the pan and saw a little aluminum smear on one cylinder. The rest looked perfect. So I pulled the head and found # 6 with this damage.

The cylinder, I'm sure will clean up with a dingle ball hone. This must have just started before the accident or, perhaps, as a result. The PO said he thought the car might have run a few minutes after it landed on an angle in a ditch.

OK I need some opinions here... am I on the right track with a hone job and new piston? Any ideas on why this would happen other than the accident and subsequent trip to the ditch.

BTW this is a 2014 motor with 18,000 on the clock.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
superpursuit
Pro
Pro
Re: Gen3 Hemi cylinder damage

Post by superpursuit »

A photo would help to understand what you are talking about. Can you post a photo?
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

No I can't upload a pic...my pix are too big to load here and I don't have a 3rd party hosting service since Photobucket screwed us over trying to extort $$$ to use our own photos online.

What I have here is what looks like scratches down the cylinder but they aren't even thru the cross hatch...the piston, however, is toast. Severely scuffed on one side...the other side is untouched.

Can't catch a nail on the damage but I can feel tiny pieces of piston material on the surface...almost like 3000 grit paper.

I think I'm going to ball hone it and replace the piston. The engine looks new inside...top end is perfect, no parts or pieces in the oil pan... the damage must be from lack of oil when the car was in the ditch. Funny how only one hole was affected.

The only other thing I can think of was the Muchacho who assembled it in Mexico put an A piston in a smaller B hole... took 18,000 miles to start making noise.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Just one of many photo resizers.
http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

Imgur.com to host pics.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I'll have wait to load pix on my Mac.... This POS phone is tuff to navigate.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

IMG_20180409_184330296_50.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Oops...
Last edited by Krooser on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I'm no expert but if the cylinder is still round, the rod is straight...And it hones up without being out of spec...Should be ok...But why just one cylinder?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I agree....don't know why just one. Might get ambitious and pull one more...
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

So is this the 5.7 or the 6.1 block??
Just asking cause the 6.1 have skirt oilers/piston coolers and it may be plugged and not doing its job. I have seen the same thing also when it starts to loose a bearing and the crap collects at the bottom of the bore and is picked up by the piston.

OR if there was trash in the pan that was picked up by the piston when it was on it's side still running.
But regardless I don't believe a dingle ball hone will fix that bore. A CK 10 or what ever would have a better chance at rounding it up.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Unless you can come up with a good reason for that to be recent/post wreck damage, and I can't, that piston or possibly the bore was damaged when assembled.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

It's a 5.7... the engine is spotless inside.

The bore looks way worse than it is...those scratches aren't as deep as the crosshatch...they are on top of it from what I can see.

The piston looks terrible... I would have expected worse damage but it just isnt that bad. Like I said all I can feel is a little grit on the cylinder.

I'm leaning toward damage that occurred during assembly.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I've had enough trouble with my wife's 2005 5.7 in her Durango...I want to light it on fire. The check engine light is on every 5 days with a Evap leak code...its terrible. That being said, I would love to put a carb conversion on one with a performance cam and sit one in a Duster or a Dart and have a cool little hot rod. I'm not even a Mopar guy.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Maybe as simple as that one cyl bore was a tad undersize....or the piston a tad oversize....& the piston was grabbing.