Moderator: Team

user-17438

Re: Potential of ported Edelbrock Performer RPM’s 6025’s

Post by user-17438 »

groberts101 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:16 am
MTENGINES wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 am
groberts101 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 am

No doubt.

What's with the big gash, if that's what it is?.. in the fire deck above the intake valve?
its a sigh groove..lol
Why do you say that? Because you "sigh" everytime yiu see one? LOL
yup.lol
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Obviously don't know what part of the country you are in but most likely there is a good cylinder head man or shop with good performance cylinder head abilities around you.

As others here have said, those heads need some pretty important work and parts, so put together an idea (budget) of what you CAN spend and see if its worthwhile to get into all they really need. With the intake at that exposure in the head they have been milled a lot and maybe even angle milled. If that gash in the deck is real then they are going to need additional milling and if that's the case they are just about junk in my opinion. If you are building something where you need a particular cfm flow then also make sure they are flow benched to make sure they what additional porting they may need and you should cc the ports and chambers to see where they are at now.

I would not advise just using them on a engine without some real careful look over!

Sometimes parts like these can be more expensive with all the rework needed than it would cost to buy a ready to run pair that can perform up to your needs. JMO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
thomas butt
Pro
Pro

Post by thomas butt »

Newold1 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:48 am Obviously don't know what part of the country you are in but most likely there is a good cylinder head man or shop with good performance cylinder head abilities around you.

As others here have said, those heads need some pretty important work and parts, so put together an idea (budget) of what you CAN spend and see if its worthwhile to get into all they really need. With the intake at that exposure in the head they have been milled a lot and maybe even angle milled. If that gash in the deck is real then they are going to need additional milling and if that's the case they are just about junk in my opinion. If you are building something where you need a particular cfm flow then also make sure they are flow benched to make sure they what additional porting they may need and you should cc the ports and chambers to see where they are at now.

I would not advise just using them on a engine without some real careful look over!

Sometimes parts like these can be more expensive with all the rework needed than it would cost to buy a ready to run pair that can perform up to your needs. JMO
Sounds good. Thanks to all for the good advice. I might just sell them especially if they need work on the deck and other places. I am an amateur enthusiast and don’t know that much about head work.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Looking at that chamber again promp's me to think that the intake seat was re-cut for a 2.08" valve.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Those heads appear to have had a terrible former life or two.
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

what happened to porting the cleveland heads and building that?
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
thomas butt
Pro
Pro

Post by thomas butt »

cab0154 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 pm what happened to porting the cleveland heads and building that?
There on the back burner. I still have them but am not sure o want to mess with the heads because the whole M code engine, intake to pan, is all stamp dated within a week of each other so might sell to a restorer of a 70 mustang or Torino. They’re all 12/69 date.

I’ve got both a set of N351 & n352s to make a fast motor out of. I haven’t done much of anything though. Been busy buying foxbody coupes the last two years.
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:09 pm Looking at that chamber again promp's me to think that the intake seat was re-cut for a 2.08" valve.
I agree after zooming in, can clearly see two angle, inner one looks like a 45 and out like a 30-35. If thats the case it won't fit and have enough working clearance, that might be why 2.02 are in it instead. Pictures can lie though. Theses heads work good, just dont do very much at overall. .Bigger is not better with these heads. ButChamber smoothing and sizing bowl to 90 percent and making the Short turn like will be important as opening bowl will change/hurt SSR if not rolled at least like factory. A perfect round SSR will get ya in the 250 cfm pretty easy but fall at .550 lift. Pinch is big enough , dont open much if you do. There springs are weak from factory, get some new ones for sure. Looks like the gash just missed the fire ring. Take apart and have someone check guides/seats and port work. might be better then it looks. I wouldn't guess.
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

thomas butt wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:27 pm
cab0154 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 pm what happened to porting the cleveland heads and building that?
There on the back burner. I still have them but am not sure o want to mess with the heads because the whole M code engine, intake to pan, is all stamp dated within a week of each other so might sell to a restorer of a 70 mustang or Torino. They’re all 12/69 date.

I’ve got both a set of N351 & n352s to make a fast motor out of. I haven’t done much of anything though. Been busy buying foxbody coupes the last two years.
I understand. 20 years ago when I hurt a couple pistons in my 93 I bought an early 302 block and crank from a friends dad who was a big ford guy. It was a virgin bore 1970 boss 302 block and matching forged crank. I was going to use it for a performance build. But when I looked up the serial numbers on it I found that the car was in missouri. So I offered it to the guy who had the car. He was happy to get it. I dont have any regrets because I didnt throw a rod through very rare block and at this point I have a block that makes the mains in the original boss 302 block look like origami. The profit I made on it wasnt bad either.

Not to mention that the N351 can make power.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.