Bad bronze guide liner work

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Bad bronze guide liner work

Post by pcnsd »

This is the guideliner installation instructions from K-line Industries. Some variation in process compared to the Headbytes method. I have to say that I enjoyed the Headbytes video, so thank you to Keith Morganstein. Good stuff. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOaOTnpacV0&app=desktop
- Paul
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

I enjoy the majority of his videos.Tony Sizemore was featured in "High Performance Pontiac in December 1991,February 1992 with Pontiac GURU Pete McCarthy, and Ken Fisk of Chaffey College, flow testing and porting various V8 Pontiac heads,the article was "Flow Job"an introduction to Pontiac head porting.In his videos you see him port a vast assortment of many makes/types of cylinder heads from Iron and aluminum.In my observation it looks to me like he is Bucks down poor and he is doing the best he can with what tools he has on hand. As far as his accent their is a top running AMC superstock racer that talks the same way and people all around the country seek his work and advice.I like the way he sonic maps the ports and how he lets the funny outtakes in . From watching you soon learn what to and what not to do.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Appeared like he was always busy wonder what really happened? Maybe too much time spent on videos and unfinished work?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I don't know the whole story but I had a few phone conversations with Tony a few months ago. Some of the things he told me was he "lost" his parents and a son a short time ago. I didn't pry. He lost his home and all his shop stuff was in storage. He told me he had lung cancer and every head got to every customer. To be honest he sounded suicidal, I don't really want to call and see if he is still alive.
I sent him a few pics of what I was working on and he was pissed, he said I have come a long way but still not there. No doubt he was furious when I told him about my SF600 I have wanted for years. Some things you should know about him, he worked under DV in the early 90's, went to college for engine performance / engineering. His heads have won NHRA championship events. Don't ask me details I don't know them. His website may still be up, I haven't checked. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Carnut1 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:49 pm I don't know the whole story but I had a few phone conversations with Tony a few months ago. Some of the things he told me was he "lost" his parents and a son a short time ago. I didn't pry. He lost his home and all his shop stuff was in storage. He told me he had lung cancer and every head got to every customer. To be honest he sounded suicidal, I don't really want to call and see if he is still alive.
I sent him a few pics of what I was working on and he was pissed, he said I have come a long way but still not there. No doubt he was furious when I told him about my SF600 I have wanted for years. Some things you should know about him, he worked under DV in the early 90's, went to college for engine performance / engineering. His heads have won NHRA championship events. Don't ask me details I don't know them. His website may still be up, I haven't checked. Thanks, Charlie
Charlie
And u believed all he told you. And you think every one came out ok? NOT. Do google reviews and the law suits. Im a real hillbilly and some cant even be classified as that
reed
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

racear2865 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Carnut1 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:49 pm I don't know the whole story but I had a few phone conversations with Tony a few months ago. Some of the things he told me was he "lost" his parents and a son a short time ago. I didn't pry. He lost his home and all his shop stuff was in storage. He told me he had lung cancer and every head got to every customer. To be honest he sounded suicidal, I don't really want to call and see if he is still alive.
Charlie
And u believed all he told you. And you think every one came out ok? NOT. Do google reviews and the law suits. Im a real hillbilly and some cant even be classified as that
reed
I would hope you give me more credit than that. I am just repeating what I was told. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Carnut1 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:22 pm
racear2865 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Charlie
reed
I would hope you give me more credit than that. I am just repeating what I was told. Thanks, Charlie

Charlie
I was not in any way knocking you. In fact, I respect you for the way you do all your work on here. I was trying to make sure every one on here understands what has happened. Many people got hurt by this fellow and him trying to wipe the slate clean "aint" right.
reed
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

4vpc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 pm Some more delights on this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufou8RMAvlo
How not to grind and check valve seats.
Looks like a headbytes video the day Tony had laryngitis...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Krooser wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:57 pm
4vpc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 pm Some more delights on this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufou8RMAvlo
How not to grind and check valve seats.
Looks like a headbytes video the day Tony had laryngitis...
No, totally different. That's a total waste of time. His "lapping" failed to remove much metal at all in 20 minutes work, which is probably for the best. You know he'd be miles ahead glueing sandpaper to a new valve and spinning that in there, at least something would happen.
Rather watch the worn out guy with worn out tools, since at least there is metal moving and thoughts in his head. I watched one of his on porting swirl ports once. Don't know how much was right, but you can't find much on it period, so I appreciated it. At least gave me some ideas.
BenE64

Post by BenE64 »

Frankshaft wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:30 am
jcisworthy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 am
mdabbott2009 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:44 am The bad thing is most kids go to YouTube see this guy saying extra good job and he doesn’t like to take chances!

What then happens they think that’s the actual way it’s post to be done.

Would be nice if some of the good guys would put out short videos showing some of the steps that is actually done correctly.
I am going to post the first of a series of videos in a few weeks covering engine work on a knee mill. .

The series will cover tramming, resurfacing, installing bronze guides, valve jobs using "three angle" tooling , square decking blocks, installing four bolt main caps.

I may do some porting videos in the future.

I have been using my knee mill to do this for a couple years now and have it pretty well worked out.

With some recent upgrades, the time it takes to do a valve job is almost as quick as a floating seat and guide machine.
Honestly, why? I am just curious. Not a dig, or anything, I am just curious why someone would waste the time. Is it "marketing", hoping to get work? Is it you like attention, and want to be the next Jenna Marbles? I mean, she makes several hundred thousands a year doing nothing but youtube videos, she has like 18,000,000 subscribers. Is that why? I just don't get it. There are numerous guys and girls that do just stupid stuff, and spend what has to amount to a full time job, just filming, editing, uploading, answering comments and emails, etc. They usually sell t-shirts, stickers, cook books,hats, whatever. Larry Enticer for example, "Just going to send it" he sells t-shirts faster than he can have them printed. Its crazy

Headbytes used the videos for marketing purposes. That was obvious. If you are sitting there twiddling your thumbs, I could see it. I thought about doing some too, but, said, I have WAAAAAY to much work to get done. Plus on my down time I would rather go snowmobiling, or hang out with friends, or go fishing.
I for one would appreciate decent videos. I live in an area where the closest decent shop would be 3-5 hours away. They are catering to big corp mining companies and are not interested in my one off custom job. They want to bang out big diesel oem repairs at inflated prices not my shit.
I own a knee mill, i am slowly buying toooling to do small stuff for myself. Where do hacks like me go to learn? I built 2 cylinder heads as an apprentice diesel fitter, almost 20 years ago, then re-man parts kicked in full swing and have not done one at work since. It is not even covered in some apprenticeships now?
In reality i would need to send my heads at least 1000klms away to be done. And i would have no way of knowing what sort of job i was getti g. And the cost would make you guys in the US sick.
I say go for it. Id watch. I atleast have the experience to see bullshit when its in front of me.
bigblock57

Post by bigblock57 »

BenE64 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:40 am
Frankshaft wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:30 am
jcisworthy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 am

I am going to post the first of a series of videos in a few weeks covering engine work on a knee mill. .

The series will cover tramming, resurfacing, installing bronze guides, valve jobs using "three angle" tooling , square decking blocks, installing four bolt main caps.

I may do some porting videos in the future.

I have been using my knee mill to do this for a couple years now and have it pretty well worked out.

With some recent upgrades, the time it takes to do a valve job is almost as quick as a floating seat and guide machine.
Honestly, why? I am just curious. Not a dig, or anything, I am just curious why someone would waste the time. Is it "marketing", hoping to get work? Is it you like attention, and want to be the next Jenna Marbles? I mean, she makes several hundred thousands a year doing nothing but youtube videos, she has like 18,000,000 subscribers. Is that why? I just don't get it. There are numerous guys and girls that do just stupid stuff, and spend what has to amount to a full time job, just filming, editing, uploading, answering comments and emails, etc. They usually sell t-shirts, stickers, cook books,hats, whatever. Larry Enticer for example, "Just going to send it" he sells t-shirts faster than he can have them printed. Its crazy

Headbytes used the videos for marketing purposes. That was obvious. If you are sitting there twiddling your thumbs, I could see it. I thought about doing some too, but, said, I have WAAAAAY to much work to get done. Plus on my down time I would rather go snowmobiling, or hang out with friends, or go fishing.
I for one would appreciate decent videos. I live in an area where the closest decent shop would be 3-5 hours away. They are catering to big corp mining companies and are not interested in my one off custom job. They want to bang out big diesel oem repairs at inflated prices not my shit.
I own a knee mill, i am slowly buying toooling to do small stuff for myself. Where do hacks like me go to learn? I built 2 cylinder heads as an apprentice diesel fitter, almost 20 years ago, then re-man parts kicked in full swing and have not done one at work since. It is not even covered in some apprenticeships now?
In reality i would need to send my heads at least 1000klms away to be done. And i would have no way of knowing what sort of job i was getti g. And the cost would make you guys in the US sick.
I say go for it. Id watch. I atleast have the experience to see bullshit when its in front of me.
Hey Ben I have flowbench and seat and guide machine in Bundaberg and work in CQ 7 on 7 off give me a call if I can help you out
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Personally, if his parents and son all passed away recently, I can feel for the man. I know what it's like to bury a child. Almost 4 years later and I still haven't recovered completely from my daughter passing away. Couldn't imagine losing BOTH of my parents in that timeframe. Give the guy a break, for just that, if anything.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING