Can you tell me about valve spring assembly/disassembly tools?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

4vpc
Pro
Pro
Re: Can you tell me about valve spring assembly/disassembly tools?

Post by 4vpc »

If you want to PM me a pic then it's fine, I've got a few scruffy items lying round the shop I wouldn't want to post up too! What I can't imagine is how something can be adjustable, but be made from wood and take the pressure applied.

Maybe someone will be interested in what i've found very useful for holding heads while i'm doing porting, it's called a Hydraclamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgYpwfQywAw

Mines a really old one I picked up on Ebay for good money and bolted a length of 1" square tube with holes drilled through to I can bolt heads to it. I locks simply by pulling the handle down, just like an old beer pump.
One of the most useful tools I ever bought.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Some photos. I took them outside for better light. It’s crude, made in a hurry, but it works. I use it mostly on bucket heads. You could make it simpler, eliminating the top part that slides. Just having the two pieces that hinge. Especially if you need to work on diesel and other 0 angle valves. (That’s how I had for a while. Later I added the slide). I thought about remaking the whole deal, with adjusting screws, but I’m always busy and it’s easy enough to stuff different sizes of wood or metal shims to change the angle.

It’s mounted on a bench top drill press, though a decent rugged old machine.

Ive been meaning to make or buy L shaped spring depressors. I think some people have cut-away a socket for that purpose

506E335C-F575-41B7-87B3-7CF2AD5E5E6D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Keith Morganstein on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

FF382501-3E0D-4ED5-AB8E-9053EACCEB1E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

C003562E-EC0D-477E-AF0A-83B7291454D0.jpeg
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

AAEDEE45-64C5-4B0B-9B15-072C81B9BCB8.jpeg
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

5B2397FC-4C2F-47E9-BAEF-12784BF813B8.jpeg
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

Fantastic, now I get it. Time to break out the carpentry tool kit I think, thanks very much for taking the time, it is appreciated.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-here's a different deeper C c-clamp unit being using on a Subaru.

deep C may fit wide Hyundai head.jpg
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Ive made a few item over the years I'll post tomorrow when I get a chance to pic them , some of them stuff i think that's made is very heavy , for the money of the goodson , I'd prefer whats in the link below and I will be ordering one it has additional features, about 1900 euro , for the small valves bucket tappet there so fast , a friend made one to that foot operated ill try post a pic too

https://www.carmec.si/en/suppliers/carmec/pws-900_3
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Here's a few I have and modified with a cheap 10 quid fleebay set for different size tapper bores I got a bit of treated gun barrell welded it so I can can now change ends then I got the quick change kit and it very quick now