fabrication question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

fabrication question

Post by Belgian1979 »

I need to construct an air bypass line for intake runners. I would like to be able to restrict the airflow if needed. What would be the best way to tackle this ?
PS : I don't have a mill nor a lathe.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: fabrication question

Post by ProPower engines »

What is the purpose of this bypass??
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

You're a little short on detail but if for example you were talking say a 3/16" neoprene hose to each runner, you could press in brass Allen head set screws drilled to the desired orifice size. A box of 50 is only a few bucks from McMaster Carr or the like and would give lots of scope for going too big and starting over. If you're talking one big hose, you could just drill a metal or plastic slug of the right diameter, either pressed or threaded in.
carb jets 003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

ProPower engines wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:14 pm What is the purpose of this bypass??
iac air to individual runners that I need to get balanced. The full details would mean a very very long explanation....
Last edited by Belgian1979 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

MadBill wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:12 pm You're a little short on detail but if for example you were talking say a 3/16" neoprene hose to each runner, you could press in brass Allen head set screws drilled to the desired orifice size. A box of 50 is only a few bucks from McMaster Carr or the like and would give lots of scope for going too big and starting over. If you're talking one big hose, you could just drill a metal or plastic slug of the right diameter, either pressed or threaded in.
carb jets 003.jpg
That looks like something I could work with. However I'm dealing with an alu line which is fixed into the runner. Need to give this another thought.

Thanks Bill.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

How about needle valve manifold for aquarium co2 systems

http://www.aquacave.com/aquarium-co2-su ... alves.html
LIGHT 'EM UP
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:11 pm I need to construct an air bypass line for intake runners. I would like to be able to restrict the airflow if needed. What would be the best way to tackle this ?
Dump the ITBs and use a proper manifold with plenum.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

The easiest would be don't bother then adjust the throttle plates to balance it. If you set the unloaded warm idle using the throttle not the is the whole system will be much less sensitive and your off idle throttle will be easier to manage

A version Bills suggestion is the other path. The fanciest version is to use needle valves, they make pipe thread on 1 end that you could screw into the little plenum. The very cheapest version is solder the fittings you have shut and drill to size.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

---I did the same thing on a Crower fuel injection---
---I found 8 small needle valves with 1/4" tube spouts and 1/8NPT male fitting ends---just use some short pieces of push-on hose.

---I don't remember where the valves came from.
individual cylinder idle air control for Crower fuel injection.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:11 pm PS : I don't have a mill nor a lathe.
So step 1 is to get a mill and a lathe.
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Your local plumbing or hardware store should have small brass bleed screws very similar to those posted by Bill Jones

They're used to vent air bubbles out of the radiators in countless large buildings such as libraries and hotels
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:53 am
ProPower engines wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:14 pm What is the purpose of this bypass??
iac air to individual runners that I need to get balanced. The full details would mean a very very long explanation....
It would be far easier to use an IAC motor that opened the throttle directly, for various reasons related to the strangeness of IR setups. 1980s Cadillacs with the 4.1/4.5/4.9l engine used a stepper motor throttle stop for idle control that would serve you well.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

joe 90 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:35 am
Belgian1979 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:11 pm I need to construct an air bypass line for intake runners. I would like to be able to restrict the airflow if needed. What would be the best way to tackle this ?
Dump the ITBs and use a proper manifold with plenum.
Plenum manifold engines drive like shit. Poor throttle response and awful midrange.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

peejay wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:44 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:53 am
It would be far easier to use an IAC motor that opened the throttle directly, for various reasons related to the strangeness of IR setups. 1980s Cadillacs with the 4.1/4.5/4.9l engine used a stepper motor throttle stop for idle control that would serve you well.
This certainly is a possibility, but I never found a stepper motor powerfull enough to work against the springs and such. Do you have a part number ?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

bill jones wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 am ---I did the same thing on a Crower fuel injection---
---I found 8 small needle valves with 1/4" tube spouts and 1/8NPT male fitting ends---just use some short pieces of push-on hose.

---I don't remember where the valves came from.

individual cylinder idle air control for Crower fuel injection.jpg
Bill,

Interestingly enough I was thinking of doing something similar. Did the needles work in a 1/4" hole. Most needles I see are very tiny and wouldn't allow enough airflow past them.