Engine Teck Bearings vs Clevite P series bearings

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

garym
Engine Teck Bearings vs Clevite P series bearings

Post by garym »

Building a small block chevy with the small journal crank and was wondering how the Engine Teck bearings compare to the Clevite P series.I read where these bearings may be Clevite bearings re-packaged as the company sells a lot of bearings, rings,etc.I always liked Clevite bearings, but was thinking about the Engine Teck bearings.They also have a coated cam bearing and I would like to know if anyone has used these coated cam bearings? This is a GREAT forum and I enjoy all of the input from all of the questions that are asked etc. THANKS garym
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Engine Teck Bearings vs Clevite P series bearings

Post by PackardV8 »

My machinist uses a lot of Enginetech; it's always worth the money, but you never know what you'll be getting from one shipment to the next. Sometimes, it's obviously reboxed major brands. Other times, it's Brazil/Argentina/Israel/Mexico and who knows what.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

I've been using Engine Tech bearings sence the mid 90s haven't had any trouble with them and am
still using them. The ones I am getting now are reboxed King bearings.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

They buy in bulk....there isn't anyone pulling parts from one box and putting them in another....
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

They buy in bulk....there isn't anyone pulling parts from one box and putting them in another....
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

garym wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 pm Building a small block chevy with the small journal crank and was wondering how the Engine Teck bearings compare to the Clevite P series.I read where these bearings may be Clevite bearings re-packaged as the company sells a lot of bearings, rings,etc.I always liked Clevite bearings, but was thinking about the Engine Teck bearings.They also have a coated cam bearing and I would like to know if anyone has used these coated cam bearings? This is a GREAT forum and I enjoy all of the input from all of the questions that are asked etc. THANKS garym
Back in the 90's till mid 2009 they used FM bearings in their labeled packaging Now they use king "A" series bearings just like all the major manufactures do.
There is nothing wrong with them but you do need to have a clean engine on start up as the "A" series bearings have no embeddability like a babbit bearing does
The bearings they offer are bored aluminum bearings on a steel back and work just fine for the average mild build with proper clearances but they will grab a journal if they run short of oil.

Kings SI series is a Bi metal bearing and their XP coated bearings are a tri-metal bearing. I have been using the race series bearings for about 10 years now and see no issues with them on any higher HP engines ( 600 and up ) and compared to clevite H series the pricing is much better and size options and availability for cranks that have been ground they have them in .009 .010 .011 and .019 .020 .021 and .030 .031 making a repair much easier to do correctly.
Availability for most engines in the XP line is very good.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
garym

Post by garym »

So on the King SI Silicone Alecular bearings what would be a hp range for a 350 drag race engine? THANKS garym
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

I have used them up to 375-400 HP sm blks with no issues.
As an example the GM 604 crate uses the same type of bearing which is a 400 to 425 HP engine in stock form.
I have also used them in marine BBC engines in stock power ratings of 330 to 400 HP as well
Any more torque/power then that and I would be using the better bearings.
The cost difference between the SI and XP bearings is minimal depending on how or where you would buy them.
They fit much better then a clevite bearing does and the dimensions are more consistently sized and the thrust bearings are much closer to a factory size then others are.
JMO
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I have used both King Alecular and Clevite "A" series on BBC's with good forged rotating assemblies in straight well machined and assembled blocks for years in versions up in the 800Hp ranges with great results. They must have good finishes on straight even smooth journals and properly sized round rod bores. With good oil pressures no dirt and correct clearances they work great and have incredible endurance compared to softer babbit types. They are not the best for "sloppy" builds in my opinion.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Newold1 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:59 pm I have used both King Alecular and Clevite "A" series on BBC's with good forged rotating assemblies in straight well machined and assembled blocks for years in versions up in the 800Hp ranges with great results. They must have good finishes on straight even smooth journals and properly sized round rod bores. With good oil pressures no dirt and correct clearances they work great and have incredible endurance compared to softer babbit types. They are not the best for "sloppy" builds in my opinion.
I totally agree.
With advancements in component technology today it seems like there is lots of shops that will never catch up to the current times when it comes to bearings.
There is a local shop near me that just seems to love to use very wide clearances and high volume oil pumps rather then a solidly blue printed set of bearing clearances I believe is because they can't line hone a block ( in this case a BBC ) and have a bad habit of cutting the rear crooked every time then grinding the thrust surface of the bearing shells to gain enough end play not to seize the crank during assembly. [-X ](*,) ](*,)