Super 7 retainers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Super 7 retainers

Post by MadBill »

Think how tough it would have been with sevens! (if they hadn't already pulled through the retainers.)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro
Re: Super 7 retainers

Post by ZEOHSIX »

Super 7 is the REAL DEAL for endurance race motors. My buddy who has forgotten far more than I will ever know and builds champion USAC Midget and V8 Sprint car motors that spin over 9000RPMs every event uses only Super 7 hardware in his builds and told me 10degree stuff doesn't have the "purchase" that a Super 7 retainer has...Super 7 has a far better grip/lock on the valve stem and is less likely to fail compared to 10 degree stuff which is why I had to frantically search for Super 7 valve lock hardware for an 8mm bead lock stem once and spend $96 at CV products for said valve locks.....Just to keep my buddy happy on a 8200RPM build....he was selling me some really trick tool steel retainers that had proven to not be up to the task in a 9200RPM Silver Crown V8 application.....$160/set for some really nice and light retainers that never flake metal into the oil system like Ti stuff. My buddy uses Super 7 "top lock" hardware almost exclusively now on all his builds.....including a 400 cu/in Aussie Pro Stock motor....11,500RPMs.....