Manifold Dyno Test

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Manifold Dyno Test

Post by MadBill »

MTENGINES wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 pm What does this test show us? Other than there was no control.

Also i think more cam would show these manifolds potentials better.
Yes, seen via the clarity of the retrospectoscope, an unmodified 300-110 would have been a useful addition (as of course would OOTB versions of all the rest. What's a few more dyno days and a grand or so in parts and fuel? :) )
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

MTENGINES wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 pm What does this test show us? Other than there was no control.

What do you mean "no control"..

Maybe a cam would have, but how many people build engines like this??
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I've seen the same 2 or 3 manifolds tested on different engines, (same cube) a couple times, different cam etc. The trend was actually the same each time. One manifold was better than the other before 6500, same till 7000....that was the end of the rpm range. There were educated conclusions to be drawn each time.

One thing I will say is, just from having some time on a stuska. The 2 lowest power runs also happened to have the lowest average acceleration rate. Not drastically, but still lowest. I've seen a correlation between that using a stuska. It would likely be very small differences, but the differences in the manifolds are relatively small...for the most part anyway. Interesting tests regardless.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

cspeier wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 pm

What do you mean "no control"..

Maybe a cam would have, but how many people build engines like this??
I believe he means an unmodified manifold as a baseline for reference. However, since there are a number of different p.n.s in play, it's debatable what would be appropriate as the 'control' part.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

This wasn't a planned test vs the Pro-Filer. The truth is Cobb has a few of my manifolds for "dyno" tests. This engine had Eric's 2892 for it. Next thing is Eric did a dominator, a local did one, and I sent over the 300-25. The PF was tested just because he had it for another project.
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

"Regardless of any conclusions to be drawn, BRAVO for pulling off and sharing such an extensive test series!"

Yea! What he said.^ Those of us without the dyno or the resources appreciate the info people are willing to share. I don't know why people here can't just appreciate the input. There's no agenda, just info. Thanks.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

CGT wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 pm I've seen the same 2 or 3 manifolds tested on different engines, (same cube) a couple times, different cam etc. The trend was actually the same each time. One manifold was better than the other before 6500, same till 7000....that was the end of the rpm range. There were educated conclusions to be drawn each time.

One thing I will say is, just from having some time on a stuska. The 2 lowest power runs also happened to have the lowest average acceleration rate. Not drastically, but still lowest. I've seen a correlation between that using a stuska. It would likely be very small differences, but the differences in the manifolds are relatively small...for the most part anyway. Interesting tests regardless.
I don’t know if that is true because my Motown was second lowest average power but had the quickest acceleration of all manifolds.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Thanks Chad, love to see tests like this. The heads otb or did they get a bit of love?
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

I know everybody says the profiler is as cast, which it is but this is a cast version of a Wilson ported manifold. This manifold resembles no other cast manifold. It is not a spiffed up super victor it’s all new. So in my opinion it is the perfect baseline manifold because it is an cast ported manifold. I also think with more work it would have been right with the rest of the manifolds.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm
CGT wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 pm I've seen the same 2 or 3 manifolds tested on different engines, (same cube) a couple times, different cam etc. The trend was actually the same each time. One manifold was better than the other before 6500, same till 7000....that was the end of the rpm range. There were educated conclusions to be drawn each time.

I don’t know if that is true because my Motown was second lowest average power but had the quickest acceleration of all manifolds.
How is the acceleration measured on a Stuska?
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

I wonder though if many of the newer manifolds, 2895, Motown, 300-110, aren't a hand ported core box?
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

The control would an as cast version of each vs their ported counter part.

The test would be more meaningful in my eyes. You could see if these gained or lost with porting.

No disrespect Chad. Still a cool test though

But it would also be nice to see the bsfc, temp, airflow etc. If we had a manifold that made 4 more hp but the bsfc shows its using way more fuel.. I might want the lesser hp manifold
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

I’ve posted this before, but this was a great manifold test on a brake and an inertia dyno.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120307005 ... Engine.pdf

I wish there were more of those dynos around.
-Bob
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

That whole deal kinda came and went. .......
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Warp Speed wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:40 pm That whole deal kinda came and went. .......
Is there a reason why?

If you can, what would you look for in a test like this?
-Bob