Best engine??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Best engine??

Post by Frankshaft »

This should stir the pot, lol, but, as the title says, what do you think was the best, engine available, domestic V-8's that is, Ford, Chevy, Mopar, Buick, Olds, and why. I also mean, using 90% of the main parts for the build. Rods, crank, block and head cores. Mixing and matching FACTORY installed parts is ok. Example, using a forged crank in a 4 bolt block, with rectangle port heads, etc. If your core came with a cast crank, for example, if the factory installed a forged version in something that was available to the masses, that is ok.

I will start, Big block Chevy. It is hands down the KING. Here is why. What other engine, can you use 90% of all the parts that came with the core and make the kind of power you can with them, and be reliable. Pretty hard to beat. Even a 80's big oval port truck engine, with 3/8 rod bolts and a cast crank will STOMP just about any of them, and live. Heck, even a later peanut port core will. A 4 bolt block, steel crank, 7/16 rods, and some 990 rectangle ports. 800 reliable horsepower would be easy. 1000 would be possible, but, the rods may not hang. Oh, I should add, cost should be a factor as well, making this thread, maybe over, lol. Whoops.

Lets see if we can beat the record for pages, with a fun conversation, other than some controversial tech idea that turns into a giant argument and bash fest.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Best engine??

Post by SupStk »

This thread will no doubt ruffle some peoples feathers and run into pages of rabbit chasing.
Feel I need to do my part...:D. For N/A engines a SBF gives a good return considering HP/CI.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

I would go for the 351C motor and the 385 series ford motors also mopar Hemis and wedges.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

turbo2256b wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:33 pm I would go for the 351C motor and the 385 series ford motors also mopar Hemis and wedges.
I second that in that exact order but raise you to a 400c
oldjohnno
Pro
Pro

Post by oldjohnno »

I think you need to refine the question a little - best engine for what? Drag racing, dual purpose, daily driver? The BBC has plenty of potential no doubt but it's heavy too. I always liked the 455 Buick for a daily - not particularly high hp but light for its size, torquey and relatively fuel efficient.
Perfectionism is the enemy of actually getting shit done.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Engines are inanimate objects. They don’t care what they are.

People anthropomorphising engines with these silly arguments
-Bob
oldjohnno
Pro
Pro

Post by oldjohnno »

hoffman900 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:56 pm Engines are inanimate objects. They don’t care what they are.

People anthropomorphising engines with these silly arguments
I don't know what you're talking about...

Perfectionism is the enemy of actually getting shit done.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

:lol: :lol:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

https://youtu.be/DnCsQPpY6xA
How about in turbocharged form?

Ford modular
Holding down 2500ish HP with a stock block/crank/heads
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

englertracing wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 am https://youtu.be/DnCsQPpY6xA
How about in turbocharged form?

Ford modular
Holding down 2500ish HP with a stock block/crank/heads
There was a time that the turbocharged quad 4 held the standing mile and flying mile records
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

another rare engine was the ford semi hemi got slammed in most racing venues because of its powers.
just after purchasing my 69 Shelby GT350 the boss 429s hit the show room floor. told my sales guy wanted to trade in my 2 month old shelby for it he thought i was joking. gave me all kinds of excuses as to why he couldnt sell it to me
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

turbo2256b wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:10 pm another rare engine was the ford semi hemi got slammed in most racing venues because of its powers.
just after purchasing my 69 Shelby GT350 the boss 429s hit the show room floor. told my sales guy wanted to trade in my 2 month old shelby for it he thought i was joking. gave me all kinds of excuses as to why he couldnt sell it to me
The boss 429 is a BBC killer.
340king
Expert
Expert

Post by 340king »

Well, my username says it all. Small block Chrysler, more specifically, the 340. In a well prepped Duster it was a big block eating machine!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

I think when you see LS and Mod motors being used in 24hr endurance road racing, with a lot of factory peices, running at the pace they do, with service intervals of thousands of miles, it makes the old stuff look exactly like it is. Dated.

The Mod motor, with with OEM heads (casting), block, rockers, and intake bested a LSX with just about everything aftermarket at the EMC some years ago. There is something to be said for 4 valves per cylinder...
-Bob
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I don't believe GM got the bottom end of the LS block correct. Mark H. :?