How many things do we do just because?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: How many things do we do just because?

Post by Krooser »

Boy am I going to catch some flack for this..

I can't bring myself to put a Chevy engine in anything...

I've had a Buick in a '49 F1... a 350 Olds in a '52 Poncho, a 5.9 Mopar in a Malibu street stock (until that was banned before I got it trackside...replaced by a 403 Olds that also got shot down).

Didn't grow up that way....worked at a GM-centric shop at 14...then a couple Chevy dealers before going to GM training school.

After that training gig I couldn't get a job at the Pontiac store that sent me to school so I got a job at a Dodge dealer while racing a Ford Starliner on dirt.

Nothing against them... Love a good 327 or 409. I guess I just love to swim upstream.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I probably do only one engine per year or less. Since I don't do it every day, each build is seen with fresh eyes so to speak, so I'm not locked into anything as a routine. One thing for sure, each one takes much longer than the last. I don't like repeating mistakes.
So much to do, so little time...
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

A lot of people just aren't capable of thinking for themselves.
They've been taught a certain way to do a job and that's the way they do it .

There's always more than one way to do every job and more than one wrong way.
The proper way isn't always the best.

If you're doing a job for yourself, you can break as many rules as you want because if and when it breaks, you'll be doing it yourself again.

If you're doing the job for someone else then there's only one way to do it and that's by the book.

So therefore hotrodders will always be more knowledgeable than professionals.
Unless you're a professional.

My son is a prime example, I was modding cars, playing with turbos and building engines years before he was born........he's done an automotive machining apprenticeship. We argue all the time. I can't work with him but I've tried. I've done a few years of machining but I'm a trained professional in the telecomms / electronics field.
Dad you never give me any advice.
I do all the time but you argue with me and tell me I'm wrong.
No I don't.

Like about 15 years ago I built a junk engine out of spare parts just to do some tests on some heads.
I had a stock sized bore and oversized forged but damaged pistons so I had them cut down by a friend on a lathe.Second hand good bearings, second hand rings , no hone, second hand MLS gaskets.
Dad, I told the boss ( I fixed his boss's dead Prius for him) what you're doing and he said it'll never run..........
OK so why's that?
Because pistons aren't round.
So what about the world's fastest Indian then?
The dyno man next door said it'll blow up on the dyno.

It made 260Kw at 1 bar boost on the dyno and lasted a full 6 months of torture before it broke.....it was a zero dollar build though.
But they all break in the end.
Once you find a limit.

If you're not willing to experiment, you won't learn anything.
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

joe 90 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:17 am We argue all the time.

Dad you never give me any advice.
I do all the time but you argue with me and tell me I'm wrong.
Sounds like you telling me off about my ignitions :-)
That's half the reason I come here :-) ;-)