Pipemax headers build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert
Pipemax headers build

Post by redliner »

Hey guys, I bought the pipemax header program and am going to build some mild steel fenderwell headers. To get the correct length I need, the collector will be angled back a bit but I really need to have a cut off, open, 90 degree tip. Will this cause a problem as the collector is not a straight shot but a 90 although cut almost right in the bend... kinda hard to explain. I just want to deflect it from blowing dust bowls at the Cordova Dragway I race at... I am going to a bit of money & time and do not want to screw up all my work with a tip that negates the entire process.... Any thoughts?
NormS
Vendor

Re: Pipemax headers build

Post by NormS »

I've found that a collector can curve just like a primary tube, as long as you use mandrel bent tubing, so that the cross section stays the same through the curve. I've extended collector lengths many times, where a curved collector was necessary to miss something, like a frame rail or a cross member.
Use the largest radius of curvature on the collector curve as you can fit in, to maximize flow.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

NormS wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:45 pm I've found that a collector can curve just like a primary tube, as long as you use mandrel bent tubing, so that the cross section stays the same through the curve. I've extended collector lengths many times, where a curved collector was necessary to miss something, like a frame rail or a cross member.
Use the largest radius of curvature on the collector curve as you can fit in, to maximize flow.
cool
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

What c/l bend radius will it be?
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

4-2-1 or 4-1?
Jim
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

digger wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 am What c/l bend radius will it be?
I dont know the radius but I will be almost splitting the 90 in 1/2. Just enough to deflect exhaust back not down.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

77cruiser wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:04 am 4-2-1 or 4-1?
4-1
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

The set I built for my frankenferrari has 4 of the 6 collects bent (2x 6-2-1), on a couple the whole thing is bent including the where the tubes merge together. I just matched up the centerline lengths and welded. The only down side I know of is it's more work t build.

Then the front bank need about 4-5 ft of pipe to get the muffler while the rear bank (transverse engine) needed under 1ft so the front got the choke expands to 3.5" pipe which then split in back for the 2 mufflers, the front tapers to 3" then splits to hopefully give similar pressure results, we'll see how that works out if I ever get it running well enough for the dyno, but my point is that you need exhaust so just do the best you can with the space you have.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer