Valve spring testers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

benno318
Pro
Pro

Valve spring testers

Post by benno318 »

I had a little mishap the other day, was testing some springs and was distracted by someone at the wrong time and put a bit much pressure on the tester, the spring coil bound and i wasnt paying attention due to being talked to, the gauge maxed out and the gauge didnt return to zero.

my tester would be a fair bit older than i am, it is an old repco-warren and brown (australian made) and when i took my shop over it was not working so i put in a new o-ring, new hydraulic oil and bled it, reset zero and its been within 10# or so for the past 7-odd years i have had my shop. now it seems the gauge does not read correctly even if i reset the zero.

never been happy with the height gauge, its a rolling readout like an old 20's vintage car speedo, so if you move your head slightly or stand at a slightly different height to the last test the reading varies a LOT. i always used digital verniers with it.

so i am here asking for recommendations as to what people here are happy with - tempted to go digital pressure and height readout (assuming these are all battery powered??) but also tempted to stick with old school rimac style simplicity, too. those things seem very scarce and sought after, and hence still command good $$...

would gladly be open to any good second hand units. being in australia i do need to figure shipping into the picture also.

thanks in advance,
ben
blykins
Guru
Guru

Re: Valve spring testers

Post by blykins »

Intercomp.....
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

blykins wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:52 am Intercomp.....
X2
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Good old-fashion Rimac is what I use, with dial indicator set-up for height measurement. Simple and they never let me down ( I have two of them, 500# and 1000# models). Check with Ferris Shop Equipment, as they often have used unit that they have checked out and verify their accuracy.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

Buxton Engineering valve spring testers are in lots of NASCAR shops, cost about $1600. Nicest thing I have seen yet.
Flinch

Post by Flinch »

Bourdon tubes, once sprung past full scale, are not to be trusted ever again. Replace the gauge, keep the tester.