More Tunnel Ram talk

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

427dart
Expert
Expert
Re: More Tunnel Ram talk

Post by 427dart »

I'm curious to see how the new Hi-Ram compares to the Super Vic! What size carbs are you planning to run on the Hi-Ram?
My 427 setup uses the TFS 225 HiPort heads that flow 330 cfm at .600 lift. Cam has .600 lift and is hyd. roller.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Thanks for the pic info! F-Bird'88 I will post more tomorrow!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Here are the three contestant's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Here is down the runner....
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

As far as a HP target.... I will be quite interested in what everyone here thinks it will make....

David has a goal in mind of what he thinks it will do...

Here is the breakdown of the build

D4 block
393w

Mahle Flattop pistons
Cast crank/ I beam Rods
10.7 to 1 compression
A solid Roller cam
245/253 @ .050
.674/.674 lift
Ground on a 108 LSA installed on a 104 IC
1.7 Shaft Rockers
Heads that flow 315cfm @ .625
And a induction system that only flows 270cfm...LOL

Going in a '71 F100 named Casper!
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

The carbs are BLP modified Holley 1850's 600 cfm
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Are you going to get/make a carburetor plenum/top for the new Holley Hi-Ram efi intake so you can run carbs on it too.? On the old Weiand manifold it looks like once you get down past the D shaped runner entry shape, the port CSA becomes quite modest in size. You'd want to avoid making the middle of the runner a pinch point (decreased CSA) when porting.

This street motor is another prime candidate for my dual QJet carbs (using only 6 barrels) on a custom made plenum top. HA HA :wink:
You could also try out the Dual QJets ("six shooter") on the Single 4bbl intake, on a dual carb to single carb adapter.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

What F-bird said. Guess rhe intakes will be ported & flow tested and included in results?

I’ll follow this closely- also since i’ve been weighing in posibility of going to a carbed Weiand setup for my 8.2 motor. Dismissing the fuel injecion ram- manifold for street- duty and going carbed on the track- car...
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

On a side note regarding the new 351w Hi-Ram.... If you notice in the comparison pics of the 3 intakes the approach angle of the runners isn't the best of the lot... When bolted on to my heads the port floor has a severe turn. This intake might be better suited to a raised port design...

To me it appears that they kept the same angles for the runners as the LS Hi-Ram which doesn't match that well to the Windsor design...

I really wish I could have found a Boss 302 tunnel ram , I would probably have a better chance of winning the lottery though....
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Would like to see the port exit to head on the new Hi-Ram intake. My thinking is the new manifold was designed FIRST as an EFI manifold just for moving intake airflow without the fuel mix. Then a plenum for carb use as a secondary option??
Would be great if you could dyno that intake with your carbs without port work.

I am currently running the Price Motorsport 2x4 intake which is a bit lacking on runner size but works OK for street use.
Have been looking at that new Hi-Ram but fear I would loose the bottom and mid range for street use and not having the RPM range needed up top for any meaningful gains for the money spent. 3000-6200 is my range.
BLstangin

Post by BLstangin »

I'll be real interested to see the results also as I'm building a procharged dart block based 438w for my 86 f150 pickup as well and haven't decided on intakes yet either.
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Casper393W wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 pm The carbs are BLP modified Holley 1850's 600 cfm

Those carbs are a power killer. How did you settle on those carbs?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Looks like Edelbrock should pay attention to the market for these big CID stroked Windsor small blocks "393w"+ etc and make a (big port) dual quad intake for the big aftermarket heads
( raised port too.) A dual plane and a tunnel ram. The (small) port sizes for the old 289-302W OEM heads are not big enough for these stroker motors.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

I'm with you F-Bird'88. I know Edelbrock has their Rpm Air Gap Dual Quad manifold but I believe that they limited themselves by trying to be selfish....the manifold only accepts the Carter/Edelbrock carbs due to spacing. I know that Offenhouser offers a offset adapter but even using two of them in opposite directions still won't allow for a pair of 4160 Holley Carbs. I also wish that they would sell a Tunnel Ram to compete with Weiand/Holley but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I had spoke with Pricemotorsports about a 351w style Tunnel Ram when I ordered the adapter plates...They told me that the thought had crossed their mind but said that it would take about 20k investment to make it happen and that would be a huge gamble without having any pre-orders....

I chose the Carbs because I wanted the classis 4160 style look... While they may look stock BLP completely reworked them for this Application.... I can tell you first hand. I had this intake and carb setup on my mildly built 306 and it blew away the Edelbrock Performer Rpm AirGap with a Quick fuel 750 with Annular boosters...

I ran this for about a month and it made more power throughout the entire curve.

So Statesystems what carbs would you recommend?
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Casper393W wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:12 pm I'm with you F-Bird'88. I know Edelbrock has their Rpm Air Gap Dual Quad manifold but I believe that they limited themselves by trying to be selfish....the manifold only accepts the Carter/Edelbrock carbs due to spacing. I know that Offenhouser offers a offset adapter but even using two of them in opposite directions still won't allow for a pair of 4160 Holley Carbs. I also wish that they would sell a Tunnel Ram to compete with Weiand/Holley but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I had spoke with Pricemotorsports about a 351w style Tunnel Ram when I ordered the adapter plates...They told me that the thought had crossed their mind but said that it would take about 20k investment to make it happen and that would be a huge gamble without having any pre-orders....

I chose the Carbs because I wanted the classis 4160 style look... While they may look stock BLP completely reworked them for this Application.... I can tell you first hand. I had this intake and carb setup on my mildly built 306 and it blew away the Edelbrock Performer Rpm AirGap with a Quick fuel 750 with Annular boosters...

I ran this for about a month and it made more power throughout the entire curve.

So Statesystems what carbs would you recommend?

Something that isn't vacuum secondary. Doesn't matter what BLP did to them, they are still VS and way too small.