More Tunnel Ram talk

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Casper393W
Pro
Pro
More Tunnel Ram talk

Post by Casper393W »

As most know I have been working with David Vizard on my 393 Windsor build. We decided to do some flow testing between my old Weiand Hi-Ram for a SBF that I'm using on the 393w with Price Motorsports Adapter plates and the new Holley Hi-Ram for the 351w...

The results were, well interesting to say the least...

Using my DV ported aluminum head that flows 315 cfm @ .625"

Old Weiand Hi-Ram. 258cfm @ 28" at .625" lift
New Holley Hi-Ram 290cfm @ 28" at .625" lift

We have started porting on the old piece and we might save grace with it after all.. as of now it's up to 275 cfm with more to go...

Andy
Cougar5.0
Re: More Tunnel Ram talk

Post by Cougar5.0 »

This is combined flow intake runner + head? One particular runner or is this an average?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

As long as there is ENOUGH air flow ... volume, shape and length will make more difference than air flow.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

This was just one runner.....

I believe that this engine is going to be a torque producing machine! With the adapter plate I have right at 8" of intake runner length... Walter what do you think about this?

we can't wait to get this thing hung on the dyno

Andy
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Oh yeah this is with the intake, adapter plate and the head flowed together....
Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 »

Casper393W wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:29 pm Oh yeah this is with the intake, adapter plate and the head flowed together....
Thanks. I've thinking of switching from Edelbrock Supervic to the Holley Hi-ram, was curious about flow of hi-ram since little info is available. 428W
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

The new intake shows lots of promise.... We are planning on doing tests between 3 manifolds

A Super Vic (ported)
Old Weiand Hi-Ram
Holley Hi-Ram

The runner length and size really seem suited for 427+ CI and will probably make peak power at or around 7500 rpm...just like Holley claims

Andy
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you are after big BROAD torque over a big rpm range as in a street motor you best should test in unported form FIRST. (especially if the lower part of the torque curve is important.
Then, consider how big to port out the runners on the Weiand.
It was designed to make big (midrange) TORQUE.
You cannot develop a intake manifold based on raw air flow numbers alone.
How much (volume-speed port pulse) and when (RPM) it resonates matters.
You will need to test more than one cam against each other too.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Since you have already ported and flow tested one of the runners of the Weiand Hi ram intake to 275 cfm, (which is lots of raw flow) what is the new port cross sectional area of the now ported runner? Is it tapered shape or constant area along its length now?
Interesting Ford project.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

You must remember that the old intake was designed for 289/302 engines with stock heads. The intake has small ports...The extent of the porting is opening up the port face and blending back about 3 inches or so, I knew this going into it but I really want the old school look in my truck. When you raise the hood on Casper I want it too look like it could be 1971....there will be no fancy braided fuel line, or billet parts...My C9 part number NOS Holman Moody valve covers will look the part!

Im glad that I have the adapter plate because going from 1.88" tall port on the intake to a 2.1 port in the head is a big step!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Casper393W wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:21 pm This was just one runner.....

I believe that this engine is going to be a torque producing machine! With the adapter plate I have right at 8" of intake runner length... Walter what do you think about this?

we can't wait to get this thing hung on the dyno

Andy
If you need a flange adapter anyway ... I personally would use the Weiand "Cleveland" tunnel ram and take the return water from the front of the heads like a "Clevor".
Fabricating a thermostat and water goose-neck receptor is easy with a short piece of 1" x 3" box tubing and capping the ends.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 »

Casper393W wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:33 pm The new intake shows lots of promise.... We are planning on doing tests between 3 manifolds

A Super Vic (ported)
Old Weiand Hi-Ram
Holley Hi-Ram

The runner length and size really seem suited for 427+ CI and will probably make peak power at or around 7500 rpm...just like Holley claims

Andy
Interesting - I'd like to see those results :D . My angle is will the hi-ram work well on a 428W street oriented vehicle with a HR cam and limited to about 6800 RPM max. I see TORQUE mentioned above and this is where I am curious. Even though it's possible the Supervic and Hi-ram have similar average runner lengths (do you happen to know the runner lengths of each? - I measured my supervic but didn't write the numbers down :/), I am left wondering if the 4 long/4 short runners of the Supervic will produce more usable torque on a 3600 lb vehicle that's driven 20 miles each way to the dragstrip and back. The Hi-ram interests me whereas it should provide a more even mixture balance between cylinders since I don't have the ability to tune individual cylinders, though this is an EFI application. I look forward to any results or further info on the Hi-Ram (and any comparisons.)
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

We did some more work today, I worked on blending the runner entrance in the top of my Weiand... I flowed everything tonight... I get a solid 270 cfm at my camshafts max lift .675" with the Carbs bolted onto the intake.

Once I finished up with that I bolted on a ported Super Victor to see how it compares... At the same lift I observed 284 cfm

I have plenty of pics of my testing but the files are too large to upload here...any suggestions?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Andy, that intake will weed a good amount of aluminum removed to feed the heads and cubes. Do you need 315 cfm? No but that might be tough even with the tunnel ram. It has pretty small runners. You will need to pay attention to the taper as well. It is a ram and has a good shape. I would probably shoot for 300 cfm all bolted to the bench right to the air cleaners. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

To correct and resize your pictures so they are suitable size/resolution
and image quality and FILE size to make them easy to post and display quickly.
Use this free program. Its small footprint too.
Re-save as JPG pic , you can adjust the the JPG compression from 85% default down to about 40 50% 640x480 is plenty big. Fills the whole screen.
50 kib to 100 Kbs is plenty big file size.
You can also correct bright and contrast etc.
www.irfanview.com

At 270cfm with carbs on I think you are doing great. nice improvement over as cast. You are limited to how far you can open up the port runner openings when they are grouped together as on the old Weiand plenum. Otherwise you loose the radius between adjacent port, on 2 sides of each. Remove the radius entry and ports become "coupled" raw flow is not everything.
What is the horsepower target?