storm vulcan 85 cutters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

drifter
Expert
Expert

storm vulcan 85 cutters

Post by drifter »

What are you guys using the org brazed carbides or the removable carbides?
I also see they make an indexable holder so you can set the cutters yourself has anyone tried these?
gem

Re: storm vulcan 85 cutters

Post by gem »

I don't have my Storm 85 any more, but when I did I used the brazed carbides. When properly sharpened it worked very well. The problem is finding someone who can do that. I had 2 cutter heads so I could have one in reserve and then allow the sharpener time to do a good job not a rush job.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

drifter wrote:What are you guys using the org brazed carbides or the removable carbides?
I also see they make an indexable holder so you can set the cutters yourself has anyone tried these?
i have a SV85BE
with indexable holder and replaceable square carbide inserts
in my opinion thats the best way to go
but it does take at least 2+ Hours or more to dial-in Carbides perfectly
to within .0000" to .0001" 1 ten-thousandths accuracy In/Out & Up/Down

i'm going to attempt to convert SV85BE over to using CBN cutting inserts
in a few months

i have 18" dia wheel w/16 Cutters
Last edited by maxracesoftware on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

maxracesoftware wrote:
drifter wrote:What are you guys using the org brazed carbides or the removable carbides?
i have a SV85BE
with indexable holder and replaceable rectangular carbide inserts
in my opinion thats the best way to go
but it does take at least 2+ Hours or more to dial-in Carbides perfectly
to within .0000" to .0001" 1 ten-thousandths accuracy In/Out & Up/Down

i'm going to attempt to convert SV85BE over to using CBN cutting inserts
in a few months

i have 18" dia wheel w/16 Cutters
X2
When I had the 85B it took half the day to get the cutters correct but when they were that thing kicked ass, great finish
I built a little adapter that worked on my old Kwik Way Boring bar to sharpen them that I still have & I think I still have one or two sets of the brazed carbide inserts around here somewhere if anyone is interested
Might take a while to find them,, been about 25 years :)

Larry
Can you get the head speed up enough for CBN or are you staying with multiple cutters?
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

Larry
Can you get the head speed up enough for CBN or are you staying with multiple cutters?
i hadn't thought about Wheel RPM speed yet, or will it present a problem ??
its still a few Months away before i tackle this :)
PS- i was thinking of using/converting all 16 Cutters
i'm on my last cutting edge of those square inserts,
so i'll need to buy new ones shortly anyways !

what has been your experiences ?
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

maxracesoftware wrote:
Larry
i hadn't thought about Wheel RPM speed yet, or will it present a problem ??
its still a few Months away before i tackle this :)
PS- i was thinking of using/converting all 16 Cutters
i'm on my last cutting edge of those square inserts,
so i'll need to buy new ones shortly anyways !

what has been your experiences ?
My experience is 20+ years old with the 85B so it isn't much help
I use a single CBN on cast iron at about 900RPM & a single PCD on aluminum at about 1800 with a 14" head in my surfacer.
Don't know my normal feeds but I can check pretty easy if you want it.
I vary the feed a little on alumimum depending but average finish is in the 15RA range from memory

On the blocks (in the CNC) I use a 10" or 12" head, think it is 12, with one CBN at 1500 & 24"/min dry
It started life at 2500RPM & 35"/min but the cutters didn't live long enough for me so I slowed the thing down
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
Brad P

Post by Brad P »

My 85b has replacable square bits , I did notice the first set from storm vulcan did not have a relief on edge and the last ones I bought did. I would like to use cbn/pcd but with speeking to dcm rep it doesnt have enough speed on wheelhead.On surface finish when turning bits to new edge and never cutting cast iron yet [to dull edge] I still cant get the finish wanted by gasket company on alum. or cast iron, new bits about 45ra setting feed very slow [ has variable spreed]. I heard stories about sending ones with brazed cutters to get sharpened and not getting them the same height from other 85b owners. Turning inserts and re-adjusting up/down and in/out is more convenient but very time consuming and sometimes needs checked between turning inserts. The choice of inserts is very limited and coated may help but have never found any. I would like to get mine useable for mls gasket ra numbers [below 40ra] but for traditional gasket material it is fine.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

If you are using a multi bit head with replaceable cutters why not just have some made. Lovejoy or Kenna-metal will make to order what you want. Talk to their tech dept. to see what they can do. I had some made with a different relief for aluminum and they cut excellent. The cost was very reasonable and they can be had in coated and un-coated
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
bbmachine

Post by bbmachine »

Cliff @ 510-654-1844
Pacific Reamer & Cutter
4115 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94611

Excellent cutting on the brazed cutter heads. About 1-2 weeks and $100 3 months ago, plus if you need any cuuter replaced.
JIMI B

Post by JIMI B »

You ever convert your Storm over to cbn? I have an one that I would like to convert as well. I have heard of one other person doing this, but have no clue even where to start.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Jimi B
You can convert over to CBN. There is 2 large factors that you must over come. One is rigidity in the spindle. You will get deflection in the spindle/plate. This you must resolve. The second can be over come fairly easy and that is speed of the spindle. If you want to do this, then we can talk further.
racear
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Brad P wrote:My 85b has replacable square bits , I did notice the first set from storm vulcan did not have a relief on edge and the last ones I bought did. I would like to use cbn/pcd but with speeking to dcm rep it doesnt have enough speed on wheelhead.On surface finish when turning bits to new edge and never cutting cast iron yet [to dull edge] I still cant get the finish wanted by gasket company on alum. or cast iron, new bits about 45ra setting feed very slow [ has variable spreed]. I heard stories about sending ones with brazed cutters to get sharpened and not getting them the same height from other 85b owners. Turning inserts and re-adjusting up/down and in/out is more convenient but very time consuming and sometimes needs checked between turning inserts. The choice of inserts is very limited and coated may help but have never found any. I would like to get mine useable for mls gasket ra numbers [below 40ra] but for traditional gasket material it is fine.

If you want to convert your machine to a round cutter bit that can be rotated call Jamison Equipment Or Farris Equipment.They sell th e tool holders that allow the use of a round replaceable cutter bit with a center hole.
For aluminum these are the cats ass and do a very good job. A friend has a SV85B that converted to these cutters and it works beautifully on aluminum.

Those machines that came with brazed carbide cutters are a PITA at the best of times but the new tool holders work great.
As mentioned before the speed is no where near fast enough and the rigidity is not there if you do increase the RPM.

I have a machine that I have worked with some tool makers regarding index-able cutters and have had some made at a reasonable cost that do a real good job on aluminum but it took several sets to get closer to perfect. All it takes is the part number of a cutter bit and a chat with their tech dept. and explain what you want to do and they will make a set for you.

A bit off topic but if anyone here following this knows where there is a Storm Vulcan/Schledum 850 Stormill for parts or dirt checp as is kind of deal I am looking for an original tool bit holder.
They were made for storm by Valinite oringially but the storm replacement parts guy don't want to bother getting the info so I am looking for a parts machine.
Any leads will be greatly apprecieated
Dave
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

About 30 yrs ago I worked in a pretty good size shop. We had a precision diamond grinder set up for sharpening the 85 and 85Bs we had. I spent about a half a day getting the wheel dialed in on the 85B. In the block department we had an overhead rail that we could move blocks from the boring machine to the mill and then to the hone. As I turned to walk out of the area the guy that did the boring and decking was slinging the chain hoist around and caught it in the mill while it was running. Fortunately it was only a stock block. I had to set everything back up and start again.
Dragster31

Post by Dragster31 »

My help crashed my 85B after a finishing cut on a 454BBC block He must have released the lock and gave the hand wheel a mighty turn the wrong way. The Block was ruined and it broke the carbide off one tooth. Does anyone know where I can buy some used originals?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Goodson I believe has them and you can try jamison equip. in Iowa they sell a indexable replacement set as well as the original cutter bits.
Ask for Jon or Stu. Either should be able to help you out