How much can you cut the spring pad down on 70 351w heads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NXBOY
Pro
Pro

How much can you cut the spring pad down on 70 351w heads?

Post by NXBOY »

Cutting for dual springs and be nice to have another .050 of clearance and use + .050 locks to get a 1.90 installed height hopefully with GT 40 stainless replacement valves. Heads wont have the roof raised just trenched. Just never seen a stock head with recessed seat pads.Thanks.., Ed
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: How much can you cut the spring pad down on 70 351w heads?

Post by SupStk »

They aren't too thick. .050 wouldn't be an issue but more, go at your own risk.
Is there a reason you can't use longer valves?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I did a couple sets a while back and used a 924 comp spring at 1.900 no problem using a 10 degree retainer which is +.100 installed height anyway after trimming the spring seat and guide for seals.
I did use an ID locator which was .060 thick and cut the heads down in the spring pad area to suit. No issues
I believe you should be able to get 1.900 with 7 degree stuff as well :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Ordering budget GT 40 valves. They say there 5.70 long with like a .395 stem. I'm using roller tip aligned rockers so thats good, but tips seem taller then factory windsor heads from memory. I will be using comp 10 degree stuff too. He will be cutting for double springs right after I get the guides delivered and he gets them installed. Guess I need to order the valves too.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

The GT 40 head uses a different valve then the old 351 does.
If I were you I would machine the heads and check the valve length needed before ordering valves.
Ferria sells a +50 valve length as well as a +100 long valve which will make the package much more simple to put together.
Because you will need to get push rods anyway why not figure out what valve length you need 1st that way you will save on machine work time.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

NXBOY wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 am Ordering budget GT 40 valves. They say there 5.70 long with like a .395 stem. I'm using roller tip aligned rockers so thats good, but tips seem taller then factory windsor heads from memory. I will be using comp 10 degree stuff too. He will be cutting for double springs right after I get the guides delivered and he gets them installed. Guess I need to order the valves too.
I think you probably mean 5.07" long and .395" tip length; they are 11/32" stem diameter.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Yes, 5.07 length. .343 to be exact as ford valves are bigger then most chevy 11/32 and a .395 stem tip! Guess as hard as screen is to see I don't need to be posting late LOL. Thanks, I'll take a valve to him and check height, we added a 30 angle and that probably gained .025 installed height. Boy I love his Serdi Machine ! Anyway I believe 1.85 is all i need and already got 10 degree retainers and + .050 locks. I did notice the short installed height of GT40s but with Two different retainers they use I didn't know if that was part of it. I went over there to visit and maybe flow a head , all in a sudden he was doing a serda Valve job for free lol. Wasn't prepared obviously lol. But he saved me a ton off time in the bowls.I will be using custom length pushrods.Thanks PRO