Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by KnightEngines »

Got some C5OE '65 Shelby heads here I'm gonna do some grinding on - aim is 450hp on a stealth 347 that looks like the original Shelby engine (it's a real deal GT500 mustang, original matching numbers engine is going into a safe corner & a 'period correct' 347 going in to wake it up a bit).
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

KnightEngines wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:11 pm Got some C5OE '65 Shelby heads here I'm gonna do some grinding on - aim is 450hp on a stealth 347 that looks like the original Shelby engine (it's a real deal GT500 mustang, original matching numbers engine is going into a safe corner & a 'period correct' 347 going in to wake it up a bit).
Very nice, that should make for a nicer drive mate!
I like a good stealth build
Craig.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I have seen the Shelby castings, super thick for porting. Please snap some pics for us while you develope those ports. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
qikgts

Post by qikgts »

Any "shootout" news?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

In his shop DV had the 66 289's on the grinding bench when I got there. He was doing some interesting chamber mods. The other sets of heads for the shootout that I saw are finished and loaded with valves and springs. He didn't have a firm date for dyno days. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
qikgts

Post by qikgts »

Running this back up top wondering if there are still plans to dyno...
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Dyno still going forward, I asked David last week. I was hoping to be able to go to his next seminar and then drive to the dyno on the same plane trip but no such luck with the dyno on same trip. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

The discussion with David ventured into cams for the 306 shortblock that will work these heads over. The shortblock will be 8000 rpm capable. I would love to get some input on cams for this cylinder head competition. I don't have all the build specs but maybe David will add some specs if there is interest. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

DV seminar this coming weekend. I will talk to him about seriously nailing down a dyno time for these the E7TE's from myself and Jcisworthy and the aluminum gt40's done by DV. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
qikgts

Post by qikgts »

Anything about dyno time get sussed out?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

We did have a discussion but no date was set. DV has too many projects at the same time! One set of 289 heads was at the shop that I could see the valve job I used needed to be redone and DV modded the chamber with his " Late phase hyper scavenge" design. He is also doing expansion on his shop for a week long hands on porting seminar along with his usual schedule. He has more going on so the head shootout is on hold for now. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Carnut1 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:31 am We did have a discussion but no date was set. DV has too many projects at the same time! One set of 289 heads was at the shop that I could see the valve job I used needed to be redone and DV modded the chamber with his " Late phase hyper scavenge" design. He is also doing expansion on his shop for a week long hands on porting seminar along with his usual schedule. He has more going on so the head shootout is on hold for now. Thanks, Charlie
So what you are saying, is he didn't think your work was good enough. As he had to modify it.. lol

Thanks for the results. ... sorry he used you guys.

Maybe I should send him my hypersuperduper flow emulsifying intake seat cutter to use.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Headguy wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:47 am
Carnut1 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:31 am We did have a discussion but no date was set. DV has too many projects at the same time! One set of 289 heads was at the shop that I could see the valve job I used needed to be redone and DV modded the chamber with his " Late phase hyper scavenge" design. He is also doing expansion on his shop for a week long hands on porting seminar along with his usual schedule. He has more going on so the head shootout is on hold for now. Thanks, Charlie
So what you are saying, is he didn't think your work was good enough. As he had to modify it.. lol

Maybe I should send him my hypersuperduper flow emulsifying intake seat cutter to use.
Hmm, I don't know what the deal was on that one cylinder that has a sharp edge outside of my valve job but it will need to be fixed. As for his chamber mods I can't comment but he stated it would add hp.
631-816-4911
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Carnut1 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:01 am
Headguy wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:47 am

Hmm, I don't know what the deal was on that one cylinder that has a sharp edge outside of my valve job but it will need to be fixed. As for his chamber mods I can't comment but he stated it would add hp.
With all disrespect, I think its bull$hit for him to tell you it will pick up power.. prove it. Test your heads first, pull them off and PROVE it. I THINK HE'S BAFFLING YOU WITH B$.

Sorry Carnut, but I think he used you.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

If you think I am a blind follower or easily bullshitted you have no idea who I am. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911