Pump Gas 555 CID BBC, 10 to 1....Dyno 880 Plus...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Pump Gas 555 CID BBC, 10 to 1....Dyno 880 Plus...

Post by Orr89rocz »

prairiehotrodder wrote:Sweet motor. I wonder how much power the t-tam adds over a single 1050 dominator? I know those AED carbs are $999 each but are probably about some of the best you can get. Is the cam 263 / 265 @ .050 .706 / .693 108 ? That was the cam i had from Chris.
It was 274/277 deg .750/.720
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Sure Mr. Straub is sharing and promoting what he does. Lots of people do that. However, I don't think he "crosses the line" of selling in a retail manner on the forum because he doesn't put links to items for sale or mention prices. He will answer questions and will provide some tech. Maybe not enough tech info for some people, but I don't see a problem.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

In the OP its says 'AED's out of the box" . Are those the $999 AED's custom built for a t-ram? Or are they the more genric AED HO carbs that are much cheaper? Were they built for 2x4 application or modified later for 2x4 application?
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

after rebuilding the aed HO series stuff I was surprised at how many differences there were in the base plate with original circuitry welded up and new stuff machined in. we have run these things OOTB on stuff with very little booster signal that new HP 4150s of the same size would run like crap with even after being tuned. not to mention I have gotten back from the races at as late as midnight central, emailed a tech question to AED and got an answer less than an hour later from John Dickey. So that was like after 2am his time. Cant beat that service. call the holley tech line and they are guessing.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

prairiehotrodder wrote:In the OP its says 'AED's out of the box" . Are those the $999 AED's custom built for a t-ram? Or are they the more genric AED HO carbs that are much cheaper? Were they built for 2x4 application or modified later for 2x4 application?
Just wondering because i see the AED carbs for sale for like $550 but when i emailed AED they wanted $999 each for a pair of t-ram carbs. Whats in a t-ram carb that makes it more money than a regular carb?
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

prairiehotrodder wrote:
prairiehotrodder wrote:In the OP its says 'AED's out of the box" . Are those the $999 AED's custom built for a t-ram? Or are they the more genric AED HO carbs that are much cheaper? Were they built for 2x4 application or modified later for 2x4 application?
Just wondering because i see the AED carbs for sale for like $550 but when i emailed AED they wanted $999 each for a pair of t-ram carbs. Whats in a t-ram carb that makes it more money than a regular carb?

Because they require more tuning. They change emulsion, everything.
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

Racerrick wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:29 am Where is the question in OP post ??????. 99.9% of the threads on this forum are asking a question. Not serving an agenda and that is the point. Straub is selling his wares and thumping his chest. I find it annoying as this forum IS NOT for selling Straub cams, Morel lifters and Foxwell heads. He has been warned on the other forums for posts of this nature. For the parts used his motor is nothing special for a solid roller 555 with 2x750 carbs and ported heads just like the one I built for my customer. OP post belongs in the show and tell section.
See others are starting to see the "snake oil" salesman coming on here? I thought FOXWELL WORKS FOR STRAUB too, not separate identity or company........

As for this 555. Actually I thought it was an "ok" build, till I seen the tunnelram and then thought it was underachieving quite some. Didn't VortecPro do a 516 for a Chevelle with a hyd roller, pump gas cast single that made 896 @ 7100
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

Making 884HP on 600 CFM of air, and 950 HP worth of fuel(at .50 BSFC) ? The numbers don't add up. I notice that there are no Bsfc's on the dyno sheet. Is that intentional ?
The air flow can be explained if there was an airflow meter on just one carb. But how do you explain using 475 lbs/Hr fuel to make 884 HP. Not knowing what the atmospheric correction factor was at the time, makes it just a guess as to what the actual BSFC at peak power was. ?? .60 ??
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Dyno numbers are strange, short and missing a lot of relevant data and inputs, etc. Power numbers don't seem to unrealistic, but why is this being drug up now 5 months later??
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

NormS wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:00 pm Making 884HP on 600 CFM of air, and 950 HP worth of fuel(at .50 BSFC) ? The numbers don't add up. I notice that there are no Bsfc's on the dyno sheet. Is that intentional ?
The air flow can be explained if there was an airflow meter on just one carb. But how do you explain using 475 lbs/Hr fuel to make 884 HP. Not knowing what the atmospheric correction factor was at the time, makes it just a guess as to what the actual BSFC at peak power was. ?? .60 ??
Peak power is at .45/.46? at the end of the pull when the throttle is closing it jumps to .48 and 817 horse?
I have 2 dyno sheets both engines ran on the same dyno as each other that do the same but the duel plane spikes higher than the single plane and not all pulls do it, maybe the tunnel ram plays into fuel disturbance at throttle closing.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

I dragged it up because nobody else did. When there is a lot of missing data on a dyno sheet, there is usually a reason. It's usually related to smoke and mirrors. There shouldn' be any data taken at the top end of a pull as the throttles are being closed. That data would mean nothing. The timing of ending data gathering should occur just before the start of throttle closing. If done this way, then the numbers mean something.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

NormS wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:35 pm I dragged it up because nobody else did. When there is a lot of missing data on a dyno sheet, there is usually a reason. It's usually related to smoke and mirrors. There shouldn' be any data taken at the top end of a pull as the throttles are being closed. That data would mean nothing. The timing of ending data gathering should occur just before the start of throttle closing. If done this way, then the numbers mean something.
The guy that dynoed that engine is a very strait forward person that has no interest in misleading anyone. Simply they don't have their supporting data correct, which in no way affects actual corrected power. Now you can say we don't no where the numbers come from...that's fine, but not one time did you ask whats the car runs and where does it run. Foxwells stuff works and I've seen Straub's cams deliver, I have no doubt 880 HP sounds reasonable to me from that combination. There was no deception here.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

Yeah,right. If the performance of the car was something he wanted to talk about, to support his power claims, we would have heard about it.
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

Your right Chris. I was listening. And seems that people are, and I quote, " find it annoying as this forum IS NOT for selling Straub cams, Morel lifters and Foxwell heads. He has been warned on the other forums for posts of this nature."

So seem like others are seeing though and listening as well, just like myself. As I've been here what 10+ years... Did lose my loggin stuff. But found it again.

HOPEFULLY CHRIS YOU CAN KEEP THIS PROFESSIONAL HERE WITH TECH AND NOT MAKE THINGS PERSONAL LIKE YOU AND SCOTT DO ON YB......................... TECH QUESTIONS AND TECH ANSWERS.

That's what I'm here for. Not some personal crap from you or spamming sales about Straub Tech and there employee Foxwell Motorsports!!!
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

cstraub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 pm Your funny sir....so professional is calling someone a "snake oil salesman". Class act sir....Class act you are.
Do you not mislead people by NOT telling them that Scott is your employee! SIR!!!