Race Engine Challenge 2018

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Race Engine Challenge 2018

Post by SupStk »

Hey Jerry, didn't know you was hanging here.
Thanks for the kind words.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

gmrocket wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:21 am
SupStk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:28 pm
gmrocket wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:57 pm Ya, your way out in left field.

How do you figure keeping everything hush hush is good? If a builder is paranoid or Leary about dissecting his build , then I would say he is not confident enough to be in the business to start with...every builder should be always learning and trying to build more power.

This contest looks like it's getting back to challenging the builders skills and imagination..and that's a good thing
Sounds like you are wanting someone else's hard work handed to you, then keep the supply coming in the future. There are lots of subtle aspects in a build that most wouldn't notice by looking at them. Don't think I care to walk someone though a high effort engine build via magazine article.

Now if a person was in the business of selling parts, magazine articles or books it might be a different deal.
your farther out in left field than you realize.

I've built 3 EMC engines, one received a full 6 page spread and tear down for all to see... I was more than willing to answer any questions & I did. None of my builds were based on anything remotely found in any EMC event... factory crank, factory iron heads. It was a one person deal

I was an independent, I did it as a hobby when I entered...but now I do it full time and retired from a very good paying job at 56. All because of the exposure I recieved .
Good for you Mr.GMrocket.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

I have my crank ordered, also the block and rods. Heads in process. Still have pistons to design as well as intake, exhaust and valve train. Geez am already into this for more money than expected. that said I am as excited to about the same level as I would be if offered a Cup car drive on a road course.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

David Vizard wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:33 pm I have my crank ordered, also the block and rods. Heads in process. Still have pistons to design as well as intake, exhaust and valve train. Geez am already into this for more money than expected. that said I am as excited to about the same level as I would be if offered a Cup car drive on a road course.

DV
I mailed-in my application this past weekend.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
hammerheadhemi

Post by hammerheadhemi »

I'd like to thank Greg for stepping up and getting this ball rolling. There is a lot involved in an endeavor like this. All of the "winnings" comes from participating companies, providing certificates to buy their product. Nobody profits from this. The entry fees won't come close to covering the costs involved. I am super excited about this, provided I am chosen of course (with my SBC....lol). I competed in the EMC twice on my own and was there several times with Kaase, while employed with him. This is our way of racing.....and way cheaper than the cost of a race car. As with any new competition, there will be issues that need to be addressed. Following many years of the EMC, a lot has been learned. The EMC "Tech" dept left a lot to be desired, but with the way Greg is doing it, I believe it to be very fair. The engines will not be "Teched" at the beginning of the competition. But at any time, any competitor can protest another team. An ODD number of peers/competitors (randomly chosen by REC), will meet and determine, by vote, as a group, whether the protest is valid or not. Not every misinterpretation of the rules means it results in an advantage for someone. Mistakes happen. If someone is protested and that rule infraction could result in some type of advantage, the assembled group will vote and decide their fate. No one person will be deciding right or wrong! I encourage anyone applying or even just interested to get companies involved. As far as I know, there is no minimum dollar amount to be involved as a sponsor. I have recruited a couple of my regular vendors already. I have spoken to Greg a few times and he is open to discussing of any rules that may not be clear or may need to be changed.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

So is the EMC actually defunct? Did they announce it's a goner
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:45 am
Keith Morganstein wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:00 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:20 pm OK people ...

There was a lot of chatter on here about potential rules and what should and shouldn't be done for a contest like this.
Empty opinions maybe ...? So, it is time to step-up; how many of you are going to actually send-in an entry ...?
OR, how many of you simply want to afterward critique the entered engines of someone else conforming to whatever rules you wanted to see on those engines ...?

Greg has worked really hard on this and I certainly hope it sees some kind of success.
I'm just a fan of these contests. I don't have the wherewithal in any sense to actually compete, but I do enjoy reading about the contests and try to learn something. A contest such as these does need people to follow it. (Unless it's a closed, secret contest without sponsors, contingency and media coverage)
I could be wrong but, the way I understand it ... this contest is ABOUT the engine builder challenging himself and displaying his wares to his peers of other professionals within the trade and other engine builders throughout the country.

The live at mama's home, fast food magazine readers are not the target audience hence, the trade magazine "Engine Builder" has said they will, in issues throughout the year, cover EVERY engine which will be run there; as long as the builder will take his own photos of that entry while being built in order to get a later article written.
Some people just don't have this inner motivation.

I hope that scenario will be true ...
That's one hell of an assumption to make....that just because someone is living with a family member, they're not interested in race engine technology and innovation.

Wow. Smh.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:38 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:45 am
Keith Morganstein wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:00 am

I'm just a fan of these contests. I don't have the wherewithal in any sense to actually compete, but I do enjoy reading about the contests and try to learn something. A contest such as these does need people to follow it. (Unless it's a closed, secret contest without sponsors, contingency and media coverage)
I could be wrong but, the way I understand it ... this contest is ABOUT the engine builder challenging himself and displaying his wares to his peers of other professionals within the trade and other engine builders throughout the country.

The live at mama's home, fast food magazine readers are not the target audience hence, the trade magazine "Engine Builder" has said they will, in issues throughout the year, cover EVERY engine which will be run there; as long as the builder will take his own photos of that entry while being built in order to get a later article written.
Some people just don't have this inner motivation.

I hope that scenario will be true ...
That's one hell of an assumption to make....that just because someone is living with a family member, they're not interested in race engine technology and innovation.

Wow. Smh.
Substitute as you wish ... you are certainly free to have your own opinion.
if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and has a bill like a duck it is probably a duck; though not positively.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Only fifteen slots and it seems that a few from this site have already sent in entries. I’m thinking the contest will be filled in a hurry.

(I just finished watching Star-Trek and I’m waiting for mom to clean my room, make my bed and bring me my lunch. Maybe I’ll even venture out and buy a new HotRod magazine) :lol:
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

The contest has now been organized into two different categories for contestants depending on cylinder head choice.
See “Cylinder Heads” in the rules for determination.
Also, there are two openings still available.
www.RaceEngineChallenge.com
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

Gregory wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 pm The contest has now been organized into two different categories for contestants depending on cylinder head choice.
See “Cylinder Heads” in the rules for determination.
Also, there are two openings still available.
www.RaceEngineChallenge.com
That’s pretty cool!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

gmrocket wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:09 pm So is the EMC actually defunct? Did they announce it's a goner
You entering this new contest, Dale?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING