Moderator: Team

woody b
Guru
Guru

Re: HELP! Buick Enclave.

Post by woody b » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Carnut1 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:16 am
Thanks Woody, I don't think Dad had the extended warrantee. I inherited the buick a few years ago and did not add warrantee coverage.
You don't have to buy an extended warranty. The warranty coverage by GM has been extended on this particular part. It's called a "special policy" and covers every vehicle listed, as long as it hasn't been totaled.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:49 pm

This is great news and thanks ST for the help!
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

A_VAS

Post by A_VAS » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:30 am

I had an 08 Enclave AWD and had to drop the cradle to fix. Not too bad of a job if you have a lift.
changed the wave plate, and found it was not broken. The TCM was the problem, it is a large overmolded plastic assembly with the pressure and temp sensors in it. I bought a new assembly from the dealer for about $700. Installed it, reflashed, and it was then perfect.

I never had the trans temp warning come on...the temps were fine. fluid was clean... I kept getting codes saying the line1-2 pressure was low or something like that and it would not shift out of first gear.
Upon examination, the overmolded TCM assembly from Borg Warner was coming apart. The pressure sensors have some sort of encapsulant that was dislodged and floating around in the fluid.
I think the thermistor is in that same TCM assembly...so if the fluid is clean and the wave plate is not broken...it is likely the TCM needs replaced.
Dealers will have them, maybe in stock. You will need to reprogram the TCM before driving the vehicle, in my case I had a friend that works at GM dealer stop over and do it, handed him $50.

I really liked the Enclave and the wife did too. Just didn't like the maintenance needed...when I dropped the cradle, I went ahead and replaced all that typically goes wrong with them.
replaced the timing chains and tensioners
replaced steering rack
new plugs
new cam position sensors
new water pump

after I did all that it ran like a top.

Woody b's advice is spot on, if the wave plate is in fact the issue, they should cover it. In my case I was pretty sure it was not the wave plate, since it didn't show the same symptoms of the broken plate. My suspicion was right, cause the plate was fine once I got in there. i replaced it anyway with the new p/n that is supposed to be better.
If the dealer tears into it, and it is not the plate being the root cause....you will get hit with the large bill
too lazy to make power w/o boost

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 am

Dropped off at Buick this morning, last thing I had serviced at a dealer was when I broke my 14 bolt Swiss watch rear in the old work truck back in '88. I expect to be abused hard. The wife said I am paranoid. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:45 pm

Wiffy said the service engine soon light came on while bringing the car in today. The tech funny as it may be could not find any history of a tranny overtemp or codes. He thinks it is the tranny temp sensor. I told him about my friend who rebuilt many of those trannies and I think the 35r waveplate started to go and the debris plugged the cooler. The tech will take it home tonight with the scanner on. Woody, thanks for the help!
631-816-4911

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Report back on Buick: No codes, nothing wrong. $80 please.

Problem with this is if it lasts over 120,000 miles and it goes it is not covered by extended warrantee.
631-816-4911

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:17 am

Not sure what my next move on this car is. Input welcome. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911

A_VAS

Post by A_VAS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 pm

It will resurface.....if it is the TCM assembly...will eventually fail.
if it's debris clogging the cooler....it may come and go randomly

on mine, it popped code...wouldn't shift out of first.
First time, I told the wife just pull over, and turn the car off, and back on. She did and it then shifted thru gears and ran ok.

I would clear the codes that night, with HP tuners....and then wife would drive it sometimes for weeks until it came back.

After it happened 2 or 3 times...I dropped the cradle and prepared to weigh my options on a rebuilt trans.
When I took it apart, the fluid was clean and not dark. The wave plate was not broken...so I started to look at other areas and found the TCM coming apart. Dealer had one in stock, which to me says this is a fairly common occurrence.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Dealership diagnosis fail. (I'm not surprised.) I'd be tempted to obtain an OBDII scanner that allows you to display live data (there are plenty of them out there) and drive around monitoring trans temperature so that you can see what the computer is seeing, and perhaps identify pipes/hoses in the engine compartment that pertain to the transmission cooler and check if what the computer is seeing is plausible reality (i.e. is the transmission really running that hot? is the flow to/from the cooler actually happening?)

Do check the fluid level; it appears that this transmission model is sensitive to it with running hot being a consequence of being overfilled.

FirstEliminator

Post by FirstEliminator » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Not sure if you've got this fixed yet. If you want to find out if it's a broken wave plate, get a cake pan and take a sample of fluid out of the trans drain plug. don't have to drain the whole thing, just a little bit into the pan. Then have a look. If there is excessive metallic, 95% chance it's a broken wave plate. I own a transmission shop and have never seen this trans failed in a Ford---yet. If you're wondering, GM 6T75 and Ford 6F50----same thing, designed as joint venture between GM and Ford. Everytime GM 6T75 comes in, it has or had a broken wave plate. Difference was Ford shotpeened the wave plates, GM did not. GM does now.
If the dealer just scanned for codes and did not take a fluid sample, then it wasn't a thorough diagnostic. If you can pull a drain plug, find out first hand.

i used to live in Melbourne. That was 13 years ago.

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

A_VAS

Post by A_VAS » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm

bet GM would like to re-evaluate that nickel they saved on each waveplate (skipping heat treat / shot peen...whatever it was)

we will soon find out if any lessons were learned with the 9spd / 8spd shared stuff

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 pm

FirstEliminator wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:15 pm
Not sure if you've got this fixed yet. If you want to find out if it's a broken wave plate, get a cake pan and take a sample of fluid out of the trans drain plug. don't have to drain the whole thing, just a little bit into the pan. Then have a look. If there is excessive metallic, 95% chance it's a broken wave plate. I own a transmission shop and have never seen this trans failed in a Ford---yet. If you're wondering, GM 6T75 and Ford 6F50----same thing, designed as joint venture between GM and Ford. Everytime GM 6T75 comes in, it has or had a broken wave plate. Difference was Ford shotpeened the wave plates, GM did not. GM does now.
If the dealer just scanned for codes and did not take a fluid sample, then it wasn't a thorough diagnostic. If you can pull a drain plug, find out first hand.

i used to live in Melbourne. That was 13 years ago.

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts
That is a good idea. Thanks,Charlie
631-816-4911

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Has it acted up since? If not I highly doubt its a wave plate. They dont fix themselves..

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:44 am

0325181134.jpg
Ok, Sunday job. Sample of tranny fluid. Black and stinks. Looks much different than on dipstick. Not sure what they use for diff fluid on awd but it is tranny fluid. There are flakes of metal on bottom of glass. I could use some input by tranny experts on what I should do next. Just do a fluid change and filter or bring it back to GM for them to tell me tranny is fine. It has not overheated again but has not been driven over an hour either! Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:14 pm

Seems the filter is not easily servicable so I will just change out the fluid and hope for the best. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911