Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by RevTheory »

Yeah but it matches your bucket! That intake sure makes me want to try a runner/floor epoxied single-plane.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

I was thinkin about flying out for dyno session, but I need to bring some big block heads and 2 sets of vortecs and 2 sets of headers and a crank. Then all that home plus a block and a second crank.

All that my be troublesome in a Skyhawk. :lol:

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 am I was thinkin about flying out for dyno session, but I need to bring some big block heads and 2 sets of vortecs and 2 sets of headers and a crank. Then all that home plus a block and a second crank.

Randy
You better do some port work to the head on the Skyhawk first then or hope for a strong a hell of a tail wind. :lol:
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

CGT wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:18 am
randy331 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 am I was thinkin about flying out for dyno session, but I need to bring some big block heads and 2 sets of vortecs and 2 sets of headers and a crank. Then all that home plus a block and a second crank.

Randy
You better do some port work to the head on the Skyhawk first then or hope for a strong a hell of a tail wind. :lol:
A tail wind would make me run off the end of the runway. Always take off into the wind. Oh and use check list. LOL

And even if it'd haul the weight, I don't know where I'd fit it all.

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Well, got vacuum pump ready to go.
1.59x 1.79 4825 series Braswell ready to go.
Got 2 sets of headers loaded in the suburban.
Bleeds and jets.
Collectors.
Some carb spacers.

Anything else ?

I'm startin to think SN dyno session on Friday may be a little anticlimactic after the one goin on the dyno Thursday ?? :D

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:39 pm Well, got vacuum pump ready to go.
1.59x 1.79 4825 series Braswell ready to go.
Got 2 sets of headers loaded in the suburban.
Bleeds and jets.
Collectors.
Some carb spacers.

Anything else ?

I'm startin to think SN dyno session on Friday may be a little anticlimactic after the one goin on the dyno Thursday ?? :D

Randy
Yeah. Almost more excited about Steve's on thursday than SN
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Has S.N. made an appearance yet.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

steve316 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:22 pm Has S.N. made an appearance yet.
Yes. It ended up about 300 HP short of what yours made. :D

I got your printed dyno sheets if you want them. Got left in the Suburban somehow.

Randy
sjre

Post by sjre »

What were the results? It seems to have fell into the abyss .
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

sjre wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 am What were the results? It seems to have fell into the abyss .
575 hp 491 torque was best. Fighting weird issues over a day and a half. Turns out .027 piston to head is not enough clearance on this particular engine. :D

SN needs to come apart to assess damage. Pretty upsetting. I now how have found valve spring limitations as well as piston to head limitations on this engine. :)
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Hate to hear bad news, hope it is not hurt bad. I may need to rethink the quench on the 496 airboat engine I am helping on. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Yeah it sucks. But its all for the good really. Its been all of our personal dyno tests(Team Creason) on all of our personal engines that has accelerated everyones learning curve....

There are always lots of things learned from dyno sessions, whether they go as anticipated or not. Not everything has been tested already, no matter what many say.

Even when there has been little learned from various engine tests. There has always been things learned about the dyno itself. And with their being 2 dyno's amongst us now...Rick's and Creason's...that info sharing will continue to increase.

Its always surprising to me the amount of people that take an engine to someones dyno, yet have no idea how the dyno aquires data etc, or have desire to learn. Just take someones word for it. But that seems to be the way alot of people are with most things.

Im pretty fortunate to be around as many dyno sessions....and data from them as I am. It tends to make you much less likely to be bullshited.

Chad
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

CGT wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:44 am
sjre wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 am What were the results? It seems to have fell into the abyss .
575 hp 491 torque was best. Fighting weird issues over a day and a half. Turns out .027 piston to head is not enough clearance on this particular engine. :D

SN needs to come apart to assess damage. Pretty upsetting. I now how have found valve spring limitations as well as piston to head limitations on this engine. :)
For shits and giggles, try it at .050 piston to head.
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

CGT wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 pm Even when there has been little learned from various engine tests. There has always been things learned about the dyno itself.
Im pretty fortunate to be around as many dyno sessions....and data from them as I am. It tends to make you much less likely to be bullshited.

Chad
I see a lot who want to keep their engine secret, but that's the wrong attitude. Having a group of smart people who are all willing to share their data accelerates everyone's learning. No way any one person can have their hands on that many different engines when we are doing this as a hobby. Our knowledge network keeps growing. :D

Rick
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Frankshaft wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:28 pm For shits and giggles, try it at .050 piston to head.
Are you saying it will make as much power at .050" as .027" ?

It was reduced for compression increase mainly, and thinner gasket was easiest way.
It definitely had ring issues this time that it didn't last time. When we put vacuum on it, it would pull 9"-10" at an idle, but as you rolled into a pull and load and rpm went up it lost vacuum and would only pull 4"-5" at rpm under load. Brought it up to rpm with no load and it'd pull 12"-13" but as you opened the throttle and added load the vacuum went away and it started smoking. It hadn't smoked with no vacuum before.

I've seen evidence that tight quench reduces timing requirements but I can't say it helps power or not.

Be interested in what you've seen in this area.

Seems too much contact reduces power. :)

Randy