which oil pump for sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

brket racer
Pro
Pro

which oil pump for sbc

Post by brket racer »

Since all the problems with the melling pumps whats a good affordable sbc oil pump and pick up
Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Post by Racerrick »

Milodon pumps and melling pickups. I prefer the melling 3/4 tube p/u with their large hemi shape inlet screen. Hemi shaped inlets with fine screens reduce vortexing. Mostly for oval motors I will buy 2 pickup then cut and weld the tubes as required. I always braze it to the pump.
brket racer
Pro
Pro

Post by brket racer »

Can you we use the moroso 24350 pick up on the milodon 18750 pump?
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

It is costly but for a wet sump engine the best way to go in my opinion is the Titan.

Ed
brket racer
Pro
Pro

Post by brket racer »

I'm thinking about using the milodon 18750 pump or the melling billet sbc pump
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Here is what I tell my budget customers;
Think about how much money you have in your budget engine.

Think about the one most important engine part that can kill it all.

Now can you see that buying the best Oil Pump that is a one time purchase that could forever be rebuilt is not so big dollar compared to the money you put into the engine.

Yes they are expensive but it is the heart, it is the life's bloood pump to keep you living, as far as your engine goes.

Then after all that if they still want the old tried and used forever cheapies we have to do what we can do.

This year is the worst year in history to find good aftermarket or factory spur gear oil pumps. Most everything available has something wrong with it.

Case strength is compromised. Look at the inpuit of guys who have oil pumps literally break off and drop into the pan.

Gaer strength is compromised. Look at the threads of guys who have actual gears break.

Melling supplied pumps and pump parts to almost the entire industry using that style of oil pumps, and melling has gone down the tubes in quality.

A new spur gear pump from CVR (Available at Competition Prodiucts) does look promising. The Moroso Billet Pump is a spur gear in a fancy aluminum machined pump body, but I think is still good. Morosos sells a Gerotor Pump.

By the time you were to buy any of the other options, you could add a few more dollars and get the original that is still hand built one at a time and each pump is t4ested before sent to you, and you order it for whatever pan depth you need. That is Titan.

No I do not make one peny for talking about their product. I probably pay more than many engine shops, but I am that sold in my mind on the product.

Ed
brket racer
Pro
Pro

Post by brket racer »

Thanks for your quality input Ed.I'm considering the melling billet pump.Have you any experience or know anyone, thats used the sbc billet pump?
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Oil Pump

Post by jmarkaudio »

How about the Melling 10555C? Bolt on pickup and billet gears. Any problems with these?
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Re: Oil Pump

Post by Wolfplace »

jmarkaudio wrote:How about the Melling 10555C? Bolt on pickup and billet gears. Any problems with these?
=
Who told you it had billet gears?
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
brket racer
Pro
Pro

Post by brket racer »

None of the Melling select pumps have Billet gears in them anymore
racecar100
Pro
Pro
Post by racecar100 »

Melling 10550 is the M55 HV replacement with steel billet gears and will work with stock of aftermarket pickup....
FWilliams

Post by FWilliams »

racecar100 wrote:Melling 10550 is the M55 HV replacement with steel billet gears and will work with stock of aftermarket pickup....

it doesn't have billet gears anymore.
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

RACEFAB wrote:
racecar100 wrote:Melling 10550 is the M55 HV replacement with steel billet gears and will work with stock of aftermarket pickup....

it doesn't have billet gears anymore.
Nope as I did a post on that about a month or 2 ago.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
Noob
Pro
Pro

Post by Noob »

chineese powdered metal FTW.. :roll:
Mech Engineer
north florida engine/suspension tuner
Fabrication
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Oil pump

Post by jmarkaudio »

Sorry, an e-mail to the tech department confirmed the use of powdered metal gears by Melling. A Competition Products catalog show billet, no longer the case. I have a used two year old 10555 I will have to take apart and save for later if it is still good.