General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

Accel plug feedback/starting issue

Post by cv67 »

383 summit type msd all new.
Car has been sitting 2 yrs (including the gas)
Usually use autolite 3924 tried the equivalent in the Accel shorty (bout the same length) these things dont seem to want to fire. Almost like a weak coiil
Battery brand new bought last night

Recommended gap 30 or 35? 11.5:1 N/A

Has good fuel pressure....at one point floats stuck so could have flooded
Almost acts like it wants to fire, when I turn the key off I get a puff though the carb...once popped thoruhg the exh. Always fired up before and ran perfect.

Havent checked the fuel to see if its still flammable lol but suspecting these plugs either got wet or just arent up to it?
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Accel plug feedback/starting issue

Post by cjperformance »

cuisinartvette wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:06 pm 383 summit type msd all new.
Car has been sitting 2 yrs (including the gas)
Usually use autolite 3924 tried the equivalent in the Accel shorty (bout the same length) these things dont seem to want to fire. Almost like a weak coiil
Battery brand new bought last night

Recommended gap 30 or 35? 11.5:1 N/A

Has good fuel pressure....at one point floats stuck so could have flooded
Almost acts like it wants to fire, when I turn the key off I get a puff though the carb...once popped thoruhg the exh. Always fired up before and ran perfect.

Havent checked the fuel to see if its still flammable lol but suspecting these plugs either got wet or just arent up to it?
Are you sure you are getting adequate main power to the ignition system?
Also are you getting a power feed from the key/ignition in the crank position?
P.s. just change that fuel too!!!
Craig.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

dont know, always did before nothings changed except sitting. All wiring is new, no chafing nothing loose
Almost feels like weak spark who knows. Will pump fuel out its pretty bad;will dump some on the ground and see if its even flammable maybe its just fouling things. Always fired right up (another ran when parked story lol)
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I would think any gas sitting for 2 years is probably not good?

Install the plug wires correctly after the plug change?

Squirt some gas from a good supply in the carb and see if it fires?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Plain and simple, what your calling fuel after sitting for two years is not fuel any longer!!!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Are you sure its actually making spark while cranking? Don't be fooled, old gas is still VERY flammable and will burn no problem even if it smells stale. Where old gas causes problems is that it can cause the engine to stick an intake valve, it can corrode fuel system parts and attack rubber pieces in the fuel system. I'd say get it started and then get the old fuel diluted with some fresh fuel as soon as possible.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

A twelve-dollar spark tester will tell you most of what you need to know, and far better and faster than any of us.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Cant get a remote starter on there as the headers forbid it, so its a one man deal. Will see if the auto part store has something
Feels like weak spark for sure who knows.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Last few times it was being driven on the fwy at steady speed occasionally it would cut out for a miilisecond like a hiccup..if it got near 190 it would lose some power and hot restarts were tough. Wonder if the coils going...how can I test it?
Have a multimeter what settings?
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

cuisinartvette wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:32 pm Last few times it was being driven on the fwy at steady speed occasionally it would cut out for a miilisecond like a hiccup..if it got near 190 it would lose some power and hot restarts were tough. Wonder if the coils going...how can I test it?
Have a multimeter what settings?
Schurkey wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:02 am A twelve-dollar spark tester will tell you most of what you need to know, and far better and faster than any of us.
A multimeter can tell you if a coil is bad. It cannot tell you if a coil is good. Primary winding can be checked on the lowest-ohm scale, since you're looking for about 1/2 to 3 ohms depending on the coil. Secondary winding can be tested with a higher-ohms scale, as you're looking for thousands of ohms.

Buy a spark tester suitable for your ignition system. If it will fire the spark tester, especially if it fires the spark tester after you've run the engine for twenty minutes to warm the coil, the coil is PROBABLY good.

I was wrong. Looks like a spark-tester is going to cost $16, not $12.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool ... ark+tester
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Thanks, will do
15 gal of 2 yr old gas now in the sllverado seems to run fine .lol

Asked for autolite 3924s was given them but they are copper? Any difference-

Accels I took out were pretty wet still. Lowered float levels hoping to hear this bitch start up next day or two, been a long time coming
I tell ya even stored in a good climate stuff still corrodes, was amazed. Belts and hoses hard, plug wires hard and were all new.

Not too relevant but a real pricy liquid filled gauge....fluid is now yellow and solid what is that?

Drive em folks, they are gonna rot wether you drive it or not.
plan on a xmas morning go pro bonanza..may be my last drive so its gonna be worth it. Youtube material. :mrgreen:
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Why maybe last drive?
Anyhow, enjoy!
And merry christams.
Craig.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Producing a spark with a spark plug sitting on the valve cover does not mean the ign system is ok.....

I found this out with a faulty Jacobs coil. Car expired at a set of traffic lights, would no start, sounded like it was trying too, got towed home.

The first test I did was the above, got spark, so coil must be ok, right??

This was an HEI ign system with remote coil. Replaced the module, HT leads, cap, still would not start. Only thing left was the coil...fired up instantly with a different coil.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Geoff2 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:42 am Producing a spark with a spark plug sitting on the valve cover does not mean the ign system is ok.....

I found this out with a faulty Jacobs coil. Car expired at a set of traffic lights, would no start, sounded like it was trying too, got towed home.

The first test I did was the above, got spark, so coil must be ok, right??

This was an HEI ign system with remote coil. Replaced the module, HT leads, cap, still would not start. Only thing left was the coil...fired up instantly with a different coil.
Which is why the spark tester I linked to has a recessed center electrode--the spark gap is near half-an-inch overall. The spark testers for conventional ignition don't have the recessed center electrode, so the spark gap is shorter, and thus suitable for ignition systems with ballast resistors.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

seems to be getting spark

put new 3924s in

Floats arent staying put, maybe needle/seat sticking and flooding it out?
Rock reliable til it sat cant see where any wiring is compromised firing order is good. Still not firing up...gets close then a puff out the carb.

Geoff ILl pull the carb one more time (everything is new) but wondering if the coil is crap.
Summit "msd" type last few times out was down on power some, once in awhile would give a small random hiccup.