Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4981
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by RevTheory » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:01 am

Yeah but it matches your bucket! That intake sure makes me want to try a runner/floor epoxied single-plane.

randy331
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: N.W. MO.

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by randy331 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 am

I was thinkin about flying out for dyno session, but I need to bring some big block heads and 2 sets of vortecs and 2 sets of headers and a crank. Then all that home plus a block and a second crank.

All that my be troublesome in a Skyhawk. :lol:

Randy

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by CGT » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:18 am

randy331 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 am
I was thinkin about flying out for dyno session, but I need to bring some big block heads and 2 sets of vortecs and 2 sets of headers and a crank. Then all that home plus a block and a second crank.

All that my be troublesome in a Skyhawk. :lol:

Randy
You better do some port work to the head on the Skyhawk first then or hope for a strong a hell of a tail wind. :lol:
"You can't make any power with the valves closed!"
"Im out!"
"FACT! MOO IMO"

randy331
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: N.W. MO.

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by randy331 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:21 am

CGT wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:18 am
randy331 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 am
I was thinkin about flying out for dyno session, but I need to bring some big block heads and 2 sets of vortecs and 2 sets of headers and a crank. Then all that home plus a block and a second crank.

All that my be troublesome in a Skyhawk. :lol:

Randy
You better do some port work to the head on the Skyhawk first then or hope for a strong a hell of a tail wind. :lol:
A tail wind would make me run off the end of the runway. Always take off into the wind. Oh and use check list. LOL

And even if it'd haul the weight, I don't know where I'd fit it all.

Randy

randy331
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: N.W. MO.

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by randy331 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Well, got vacuum pump ready to go.
1.59x 1.79 4825 series Braswell ready to go.
Got 2 sets of headers loaded in the suburban.
Bleeds and jets.
Collectors.
Some carb spacers.

Anything else ?

I'm startin to think SN dyno session on Friday may be a little anticlimactic after the one goin on the dyno Thursday ?? :D

Randy

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by CGT » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:42 pm

randy331 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:39 pm
Well, got vacuum pump ready to go.
1.59x 1.79 4825 series Braswell ready to go.
Got 2 sets of headers loaded in the suburban.
Bleeds and jets.
Collectors.
Some carb spacers.

Anything else ?

I'm startin to think SN dyno session on Friday may be a little anticlimactic after the one goin on the dyno Thursday ?? :D

Randy
Yeah. Almost more excited about Steve's on thursday than SN
"You can't make any power with the valves closed!"
"Im out!"
"FACT! MOO IMO"

steve316
Pro
Pro
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: St.Joseph,mo.

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by steve316 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Has S.N. made an appearance yet.

randy331
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: N.W. MO.

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by randy331 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:55 am

steve316 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:22 pm
Has S.N. made an appearance yet.
Yes. It ended up about 300 HP short of what yours made. :D

I got your printed dyno sheets if you want them. Got left in the Suburban somehow.

Randy

sjre
Member
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:38 am

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by sjre » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 am

What were the results? It seems to have fell into the abyss .

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by CGT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:44 am

sjre wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 am
What were the results? It seems to have fell into the abyss .
575 hp 491 torque was best. Fighting weird issues over a day and a half. Turns out .027 piston to head is not enough clearance on this particular engine. :D

SN needs to come apart to assess damage. Pretty upsetting. I now how have found valve spring limitations as well as piston to head limitations on this engine. :)
"You can't make any power with the valves closed!"
"Im out!"
"FACT! MOO IMO"

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3909
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by Carnut1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:56 am

Hate to hear bad news, hope it is not hurt bad. I may need to rethink the quench on the 496 airboat engine I am helping on. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by CGT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 pm

Yeah it sucks. But its all for the good really. Its been all of our personal dyno tests(Team Creason) on all of our personal engines that has accelerated everyones learning curve....

There are always lots of things learned from dyno sessions, whether they go as anticipated or not. Not everything has been tested already, no matter what many say.

Even when there has been little learned from various engine tests. There has always been things learned about the dyno itself. And with their being 2 dyno's amongst us now...Rick's and Creason's...that info sharing will continue to increase.

Its always surprising to me the amount of people that take an engine to someones dyno, yet have no idea how the dyno aquires data etc, or have desire to learn. Just take someones word for it. But that seems to be the way alot of people are with most things.

Im pretty fortunate to be around as many dyno sessions....and data from them as I am. It tends to make you much less likely to be bullshited.

*
"You can't make any power with the valves closed!"
"Im out!"
"FACT! MOO IMO"

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by Frankshaft » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:28 pm

CGT wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:44 am
sjre wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 am
What were the results? It seems to have fell into the abyss .
575 hp 491 torque was best. Fighting weird issues over a day and a half. Turns out .027 piston to head is not enough clearance on this particular engine. :D

SN needs to come apart to assess damage. Pretty upsetting. I now how have found valve spring limitations as well as piston to head limitations on this engine. :)
For shits and giggles, try it at .050 piston to head.

Rick360
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:55 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by Rick360 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:04 pm

CGT wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 pm
Even when there has been little learned from various engine tests. There has always been things learned about the dyno itself.
...
Im pretty fortunate to be around as many dyno sessions....and data from them as I am. It tends to make you much less likely to be bullshited.

*
I see a lot who want to keep their engine secret, but that's the wrong attitude. Having a group of smart people who are all willing to share their data accelerates everyone's learning. No way any one person can have their hands on that many different engines when we are doing this as a hobby. Our knowledge network keeps growing. :D

Rick

randy331
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: N.W. MO.

Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by randy331 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:09 pm

Frankshaft wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:28 pm
For shits and giggles, try it at .050 piston to head.
Are you saying it will make as much power at .050" as .027" ?

It was reduced for compression increase mainly, and thinner gasket was easiest way.
It definitely had ring issues this time that it didn't last time. When we put vacuum on it, it would pull 9"-10" at an idle, but as you rolled into a pull and load and rpm went up it lost vacuum and would only pull 4"-5" at rpm under load. Brought it up to rpm with no load and it'd pull 12"-13" but as you opened the throttle and added load the vacuum went away and it started smoking. It hadn't smoked with no vacuum before.

I've seen evidence that tight quench reduces timing requirements but I can't say it helps power or not.

Be interested in what you've seen in this area.

Seems too much contact reduces power. :)

Randy

Post Reply