***Post Pics of what you are working on**

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by williamsmotowerx »

What type of cooling passages are in billet heads like that? Or are they strictly drag racing and they're not important?
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

It'll have full cooling holes drilled in it. Two 9/16 holes will be drilled end to end below the exhaust ports. A 3/8 hole will be drilled end to end above the exhaust ports, and a 3/8 hole will be drilled end to end under the intake ports. Holes will be drilled from the deck to the main end to end holes, and return holes will be drilled from the end to end holes to the two main outlet slots where the manifold is. Then they'll be one large hole drilled from the deck behind the two inside exhaust ports to another hole drilled from the center intake.

In all there will be over 50 holes drilled. My CNC guy will have a heart attack.

But if the head is as successful as I think it will be, I'd like to go straight into tooling to get a casting made up.
Joe Facciano
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Thanks Mark I see that now. I had read through his posts quickly & just missed that. While that is certainly very long, it's not as long as I thought it was going to be (that's what she said) :roll:
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

David Vizard wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:46 pm
MTENGINES wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:38 am
Carnut1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 am 1025171947a.jpg Gearing up for my next thread. Sohc counterflow port design project. DV's flowbench program will be a big help in this project. I love a challenge so this will be fun. Thanks, Charlie
I'm not trying to discredit you or DV.. but how about you build something. Post your results, then modify it again to show your results. Vs show what a program will do. I have used pipemax to find out an engine wanted different frombwhatbwas suggested . Try things. I don't post much but nit doesn't mean I don't know much.

I can tell you there are simple formulas you can apply based on real world data, if you build and dyno/race stuff. but a dyno mule rarely wins an event. So who cares what that data is. Learn what can be done with a casring. It is what it is. That's why we have aftermarket castings. Because stock can't be modified enough.
Mr. MTENGINES Sir,

What exactly would preclude 7 sets of cylinder heads test (scheduled post Christmas) on a 347 SBF each with two different intakes from being categorized as 'trying stuff?? I am doing this all the time - that's how I make my living!!!

Also my results are posted or made public as it would serve no purpose to me if they were not.

Yes there are simple formulas out the that have been around for years, I prefer to put a lot of effort into advancing the 'state-of-art' that's why I have been granted so many patents. As for winning a race with a dyno mule - done that and and positively kick butt.

Would you like to hear the story of the race winning (lapped all but second place) engine I had protested by all the field bar one? This engine was 240 cc too small for the class but that was only a part of it. The events that surround that protest makes for one heck of a tale but maybe not for here.

Right now I have about 5 engines going through the shop - all being used to test something or other for editorial purposes.

Honestly I would like to have more time to devote to these builds but in a way time that I have lost to such work has been mostly caused by you. I have spent literally hours and hours trying to get my cuttered ports to look as good as yours. You need to stop posting pics of those 'super ports' as all it does is keep moving up the bar for the rest of us(except maybe for Charlie)!

DV
I'm not knocking anyone's work. Actually I like to see this kind of dedication. That being said, a problem I see with people that use a flowbench to port heads, is the variance from someone else's numbers. 2 calibrated sf600 can show different cfm numbers. That being said a happy bench the shows 15 extra cfm will make a port appear faster. You can ruin a head by chasing a number.

Find out on your bench and your sizing and numbers what your engines will make and that will put you way ahead of the internet flow numbers and exagerated hp claims. A number is only meaningfull of its repeatable and tested against a control.. this is hard in motorsports. Too many variables.

I think Charlie has the ability to become very good at this without a flowbench. In his research the flowbench shows him where grinding will pick up flow, and at the same time where grinding can reduce velocity. Like frankshaft said in a post a while back, a flowbench is a great intermediate tool. When you do enough heads, you can pretty much look at it and see where you need to grind or add. If you want to verify via flow bench that's great. But ultimately it's what it does to the car. My prices are modest because I don't normally do a flow study, until Maybe the second season rebuild. I can make more money in other places vs charging flowbench time.

I can't wait to see how your studies go. MT
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Mr. MTENGINES,
YOU POSTED THIS A SHORT WHILE BACK:-
I'm not knocking anyone's work. Actually I like to see this kind of dedication. That being said, a problem I see with people that use a flowbench to port heads, is the variance from someone else's numbers. 2 calibrated sf600 can show different cfm numbers. That being said a happy bench the shows 15 extra cfm will make a port appear faster. You can ruin a head by chasing a number.

Find out on your bench and your sizing and numbers what your engines will make and that will put you way ahead of the internet flow numbers and exagerated hp claims. A number is only meaningfull of its repeatable and tested against a control.. this is hard in motorsports. Too many variables.

I think Charlie has the ability to become very good at this without a flowbench. In his research the flowbench shows him where grinding will pick up flow, and at the same time where grinding can reduce velocity. Like frankshaft said in a post a while back, a flowbench is a great intermediate tool. When you do enough heads, you can pretty much look at it and see where you need to grind or add. If you want to verify via flow bench that's great. But ultimately it's what it does to the car. My prices are modest because I don't normally do a flow study, until Maybe the second season rebuild. I can make more money in other places vs charging flowbench time.

Can I give you a call here as I have some questions the answers to which might help me get my cuttering better. Charlies been a help here but the more input I get the better. Also I would like to get your thoughts as to just how far I should go in my editorial work when describing head work that can be done without the aid of a flow bench and still produce results.

Can you PM a # and a good contact time.

Look forward to a good talk here.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 pm Mr. Vizard, would you mind saying (telling) us what the M.C.S.A. of the intake port was on that 18 deg. GM head when it flowed 367 at .800" lift ? Thanks Mark H. :)
Mark,

A quick measurement makes it out at about 2.77 Sq/Inches .

Will see if I can confirm that this weekend.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

David Vizard wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 pm Mr. MTENGINES,
YOU POSTED THIS A SHORT WHILE BACK:-

Can I give you a call here as I have some questions the answers to which might help me get my cuttering better. Charlies been a help here but the more input I get the better. Also I would like to get your thoughts as to just how far I should go in my editorial work when describing head work that can be done without the aid of a flow bench and still produce results.

Can you PM a # and a good contact time.

Look forward to a good talk here.

DV
Yes, I will pm you.

But also, I would prefer not to give away what separates my work from others.

My finish works on my port shapes, will it work on others? I'm not certain.

But to feature my work to entry level or intermediate head porter is unfair to me, as it took me some time to dial in what I do. And I learn on every set of heads I do, how my calculations and shapes can be improved or not. In this field you know, what works on a stock car won't work on a pro stock.

That being said, I can give you insight, but without application, i'd be fooling you.
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

My streetcar project 350 eq vortec heads with lt1 pistons and rods.005 deck heads milled to 58 cc 10:5:1 solid flat tappet cam and gm eliminator intake damn pics won't load
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Our little family ski boat. Just a simple pump gas 350 with boring iron heads and hydraulic cam. It seams to do a great job of towing me around on a ski.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Resized_20171121_125341.jpeg
500 horsepower! 480v PLC controlled DPI communication to VFD to power it. Just another day at work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Old as Dirt
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Old as Dirt »

Get out the "Roto-Line" Charlie.. or are you guys doing the alignment the old fashion way with taper gauges? :mrgreen:
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Old as Dirt wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:42 pm Get out the "Roto-Line" Charlie.. or are you guys doing the alignment the old fashion way with taper gauges? :mrgreen:
Ripping it out for new bearings. Depending on how long it has been since last rebuild it may get a "shake and bake" or full rebuild. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

This will be the first alignment of a high service pump motor for me at this plant. They said they have a good alignment tool. Probably a sledge hammer.
631-816-4911
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

That's a little guy...lol. Just wait till I get to work. That pump looks similar to an older Worthington design. Am I close? Real men do alignments with dial indicators...lol
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Carnut1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:47 pm This will be the first alignment of a high service pump motor for me at this plant. They said they have a good alignment tool. Probably a sledge hammer.
That reminds me of my brother in law working for GE during a test of a jet engine in front of some foreign big wigs and one of the machines was not registering, they called him in to fix it, so he banged once with his fist and instantly it registered it's reading. Needles to say the boss man did not like his repair technique in front of multi million dollar customers.

Luckily he recognized the look on his bosses face and replaced the meter with one that didn't need to be smacked.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!