MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by MadBill »

Krooser wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm
ssdoug wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:49 amI'm going
Look for me... I'll be the old guy...
I'm not sure I want to know, but I get the feeling that us 'old' SpeedTalkers out-number the 'young' ones by at least 10:1... :(
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

MadBill wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:29 pm
Krooser wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm
ssdoug wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:49 amI'm going
Look for me... I'll be the old guy...
I'm not sure I want to know, but I get the feeling that us 'old' SpeedTalkers out-number the 'young' ones by at least 10:1... :(
I am going to play Mike's game here :lol: ... that all depends upon what is to be considered OLD; almost everyone has a different opinion.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

For decades, "middle age" for me was something that started ten or more years in the future, but now unless I'm going to live to 150, I realize it's a dot in the mirror... :shock:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Is there a benefit to attending this show for someone doing market research for a startup? I'm looking to open a CNC shop to support race shops and ultimately develop my own product line. I'm thinking "yes" but don't want to be a PITA walking around asking guys what they need in a supplier?
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
CCA Racing Products - Torque Plates and Engine Rebuild Tooling
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Rick Finsta wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am Is there a benefit to attending this show for someone doing market research for a startup? I'm looking to open a CNC shop to support race shops and ultimately develop my own product line. I'm thinking "yes" but don't want to be a PITA walking around asking guys what they need in a supplier?
Rick,
The show will be beneficial to you in allowing you to speak with several machinery manufacturers/distributors to determine which machines will work best for your applications. But, as far as asking potential customers what they need the PRI Show is probably not your best venue. Your time is better spent calling on shops personally, within your target market, in order to get specific feed back. Most of the attendees at the show are there to find products and machinery to include into their own businesses and may feel that talking to a potential supplier is a waste of time. My opinion.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Exactly what I needed, thanks!
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Rick Finsta wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am Is there a benefit to attending this show for someone doing market research for a startup? I'm looking to open a CNC shop to support race shops and ultimately develop my own product line. I'm thinking "yes" but don't want to be a PITA walking around asking guys what they need in a supplier?

Well if I had your goals, I would sure like to size up the competition, and at the PRI they all will be putting their best foot forward, and knowledge is power, if I understand your question. Just use your better judgement on the PITA factor, sometimes just listening to other's questions with gain one a lot of insight in many regards..
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Well sure with the understanding that I'm going to have to talk to Mike Jones about a camshaft for the Briggs motor in my lawnmower. :mrgreen:
Mike Gallo, President
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

Rick Finsta wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm Well sure with the understanding that I'm going to have to talk to Mike Jones about a camshaft for the Briggs motor in my lawnmower. :mrgreen:
That might be after a lengthy conversation I want to have with Mike about a custom grind for a 40 year old single-cylinder Tecumseh (that is, of course, depending on next year's tax return). I'll also have a large duffle bag for catalogs and decals, and some popcorn to-go!.
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

I've gotta be careful - I want to buy a cam from Mike next year!
Mike Gallo, President
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

Rick Finsta wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:34 pm I've gotta be careful - I want to buy a cam from Mike next year!
Me too! Seriously!

I met/talked with Mike at PRI last year, he was a fine guy. He may have realized that I'm a hobbyist but I helped him making time passing faster when foot traffic was low (and I didn't have anyone behind me waiting for his turn). Win-win.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Rick Finsta wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm Well sure with the understanding that I'm going to have to talk to Mike Jones about a camshaft for the Briggs motor in my lawnmower. :mrgreen:
Its a 2 cycle right? :D
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

j-c-c wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm
Its a 2 cycle right? :D
You laugh, but 2 years ago I had a woman stop by to talk to me about the possibility of her using camshafts to make towel racks for her husband's "man-cave". This was during one of the busiest times of the show.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

roc wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:41 pm
Rick Finsta wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:34 pm I've gotta be careful - I want to buy a cam from Mike next year!
Me too! Seriously!

I met/talked with Mike at PRI last year, he was a fine guy. He may have realized that I'm a hobbyist but I helped him making time passing faster when foot traffic was low (and I didn't have anyone behind me waiting for his turn). Win-win.
I'm happy to talk to anyone, as long as I have the time. 99% of the people are patient, and understanding when I ask to excused for a second to answer someone else questions. It's that 1% that.........
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449