Whiteperfomance1 & Assault Racing - heads any good???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

kimosabi
Pro
Pro
Re: Whiteperfomance1 & Assault Racing - heads any good???

Post by kimosabi »

Newold1 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 pm Question for Chad and others here is what has been overall experiences with the ProMaxx heads as delivered in finished form?

What we have to start understanding and get better used to is that with todays CAD, CAM, 3D, digitizing, casting technology and such that the Chinese if they want to CAN and DO produce incredible quality products and advanced manufacturing technology. We should stop talking trash and thinking that the Chinese can never do it as good as us here in the USA! That is narrow minded, short sided and a "head in the sand" attitude that will come back and bite us in the butt! We live in anew world of Global technology and industry and we had better do a "AS GOOD" or better job at these things than the Chinese if we hope to compete and survive in this new Global world! Just bashing Chinese made product will not get it done!
We should keep intellectual property, improvement, innovation , excellence, education and performance in the forefront in all our industries, markets and economies, because if we don't, were going to have all those tread marks across our backsides and we'll have the world saying "THE UNITED STATES USED TO BE GREAT AT THAT"! [-o<
I am curious about Promaxx heads too. A 350 rebuild coming up and not really keen on spending $1300 on heads for it.

As for the arrogance, Norway been there done that. We were arguably among the best and biggest ship building manufacturers in the world. Then enter South Korea and other nations in Asia. We didn't print alot of patriotic stickers "Made in Norway" though. Maybe it should have helped. :)
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Great thread, now, as for TV's, when Motorola was bought out in the late '60's to early '70's, they got their tech to make the best color TV's in the world imho...

Now ISO 9000 showed EVERYBODY what to make world-wide and ISO 14000 showed them how to do it in the guise of being able to manufacture anything anywhere, world-wide SO we shot our own selves in the foot when we went to bed with the ISO crap!

ISO 9000 spec'd the part and ISO 14000 spec'd how to make it......................

Oh, anybody consider EQ heads here for good quality, "inexpensive", heads?

pdq67
Kbails

Post by Kbails »

cspeier wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:11 pm Here is one of those Assalt, White, ProHeader castings decked.

are these the "nkb" head skip white sells?
Long Island, NY
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I recently inquired about buying some directly and there is many questions to be asked.
the nice thing is they will sell a sample pair dirt cheap for testing at about $125-$140 each.
Test and draw your own conclusions.

There are some decently made heads that come from there but you have to test 1st. Some have different port sizes available and several different intake bolt patterns as well. But test 1st is the only thing I can say.

The seats are not that hard but very easy to machine but require a sharp cutter and steady feed and speed. It would be nice if they could get the seat material like a 7000 series Durabond seat as they are my prefered seats to use as they are consistent and easy to finish and harder material.

I am currently doing some testing on the off shore 440 stealth head and putting in larger valves and changing the seat sizes to accommodate the bigger intake. Lots of work but my customer pays well so its worth it.
The head material hardness seems to be very good on the stuff I have been working on and they finish very well when surfacing as Chad pointed out.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

I ported a couple of sets. One set made 540hp with junk Chinese parts and shelf cam. When I really got after one making it wide over short side it broke through. Took it to my welder and he played the game chase the crack. Finally bought a new one. The aluminum isn’t the same.

David Ik heads are a cheap American head. Let me know if I can help.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

I have a new set of FloTek here now that a customer brought in still in the box. I have a relatively new (500miles) 383 SBC with their heads. I have a set of ProHeader heads here to rework. Each is slightly different but Skip White is definitely not a Flo Tek. Biggest thing we found on the 383 was the machine work. Bores are all over the place and the hone job "sucks" big time and varied over a .001 from bore to bore. 4 pistons slightly gauld and rest ok. Appears block never sealed. Will get further into heads this week.
reed
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

I personally have nothing against the ProHeader or the Flotek. I stopped selling either about a year ago. I just decided I didn't want to be in that market anymore and stay with my lineup.

The beauty for me was the program I have for the ProHeader goes right into a Dart casting so nothing was wasted.
GerryP

Post by GerryP »

I have no soapbox on which to stand. The only reason to question a product's specification by country of origin comes down to whether their industry is sufficiently advanced to manufacture the product. It doesn't matter whether it's rubber tub ducks or jet engine turbine blades.

The Chinese have a competitive aerospace industry. So it should probably go without saying they are sufficiently advanced in materials and processes.

The one and only reason you can and do get cheap, poorly made crap from China or any Third World country is because the company contracting the manufacturing has set a very low standard out of cost consideration. And if cost is the prime consideration -whether it's made here or elsewhere- then you get that product with appeal to the price shopper. China can pour and machine a cylinder head just as good a Dart or Brodix or anyone else, but no one is asking them to do that.

You can blame the Chinese for sub-standard crap that comes to our shores but the real culprit is whoever set the manufacturing standard for the job. You'll pay for the high end no matter where it's made.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Pro Power who did you buy from?

Debating picking up a set to play with but so many to choose from who do you go to

-And not get ripped off completely
-are they going to be around the next mo or be 3 blocks away with a different name
-what kind of return policy?

Seems risky. They give out 0 information when you ask basic questions
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

cuisinartvette wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 am Pro Power who did you buy from?

Debating picking up a set to play with but so many to choose from who do you go to

-are they going to be around the next mo or be 3 blocks away with a different name

I purchase by the pallet. I have about 4 or 5 of us that use from that. I did purchase from one place and they would substitute. So when I went to other place, our conversation included no subbing. Time I got thru the buy in, it wasnt terrible but I wasnt looking for cheapest, just better quality. And as stated in above, there are different places of quality. Especially watch out for guides and seats. I do have some people that come buy and buy.
reed
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

GerryP
Well said!
X2
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

cuisinartvette wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 am Pro Power who did you buy from?

I am talking with several suppliers at this time and trying to get all my concerns answered without trying to skirt the subject. I am waiting to hear back from 4 suppliers as to what the heat treat is done to and what options for valve seats and seat material are. before I pull the trigger.

While it seems easy to do it in truth is a complicated endeavor to find the best quality they have to offer and be sure there press fit on the seats is no too loose and what the guide ID can be had for finishing as larger stem sizes are not easy to get without a custom run of valves but the under spring thickness is a big deal.

They want to sell there products but it takes time to weed out all the non hackers and get the beat they have to offer.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

David Vizard wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 pm
mark_follweiler wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 pm how can you make a decision based on internet stories? [-X
Simple - if they are reported bad I will investigate first hand. If they are reported good - I will investigate first hand!

The cheapest we for me to find out is to ask around.

That's just what I am doing.

Please - do you have anything to report??

DV
Skip get his heads form ProMaxx; https://promaxxperformance.com/

Jason is a good kid.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Understand you not wanting to post, if you want to pm that would be great
just a hobbysist looking for a set to play with. Maybe Ill buy in with ya?

looked at a few sites with intakes how do I know Im getting whats in the pic?
Their communication is horrible...one guy I did try and email with played the 'no english Im in China bit" he was actually some schiester from the east coast.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Flotek is offering a 315cc BBC head that is cast in a steel mold. Anyone seen one?

Looks nice.

I like the SBC head. I have one here that I did a master for a street CNC port.