Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by pamotorman »

I went 1 time to Indy before they move to Fla. and I liked Fla weather a lot better. :D
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Thank God, most people do not attend a trade show because of the "weather". The goal should be to find products and suppliers who will help you grow your BUSINESS.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I also like Indy a lot too. Last year my wife's friend took us to a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that was really great after a long day at the show. She lives there so she knew all of the good spots to eat etc and to keep my wife entertained while I was at the show. I saw Dave Dispain eating in there too so it wasn't unknown by people attending the show.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

cstraub wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 pm I like Indy. Cold or not it keeps the trade in the building and mama and the kids don't want to go. By Saturday at noon there was nobody in the halls and you could play corn hole till 4pm. I think indy is better to keep the trade inside and not on vacation with the wife and kids.
All my display pieces, start accidentally falling into their shipping boxes around 2, on Saturday.

I wish they would go back to Fri,Sat,Sun. They changed it to Thur-Sat, because everyone was leaving early on Sunday. Now they just leave early on Saturday.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

DaveMcLain wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:19 pm I also like Indy a lot too. Last year my wife's friend took us to a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that was really great after a long day at the show. She lives there so she knew all of the good spots to eat etc and to keep my wife entertained while I was at the show. I saw Dave Dispain eating in there too so it wasn't unknown by people attending the show.
And the name of this restaurant is ?????
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

CamKing wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:22 pm
DaveMcLain wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:19 pm I also like Indy a lot too. Last year my wife's friend took us to a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that was really great after a long day at the show. She lives there so she knew all of the good spots to eat etc and to keep my wife entertained while I was at the show. I saw Dave Dispain eating in there too so it wasn't unknown by people attending the show.
And the name of this restaurant is ?????
I can't remember I'll have to ask my wife! I'll post though because it was really good. Not fancy and not far from downtown. My wife's friend works at a university in that area.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Anyone with a downtown hotel reservation who's now not going to be able to make the show, I'd appreciate being allowed to take it on. PM me and I'll handle all the details.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

The name of the Mexican restaurant is La Margarita and it is in Fountain Square. 1043 Virginia Ave Suite 1

Another good one is supposed to be El Azabache but that's farther toward the South side of the city.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

"Thank God, most people do not attend a trade show because of the "weather". The goal should be to find products and suppliers who will help you grow your BUSINESS."

I have been biting tongue on some of the other PRI comments here.

I am not directing this at you directly, but I think it should be said if PRI was ONLY about "business", every booth would have a cash register. It seems like with some of other comments, a few have burnt out on the in booth exhibitor scene. i understand that. But IMO, PRI is also about establishing contacts, sharing technical passions, building trust, learning about new products, gaining information, getting parts in your hands, hearing clients wants AND complaints, and putting a face to the voice on the phone.

The idea of cross pollination is also a big plus, if not the engine guys would never go near the chassis guys, and so on.

On the catalogs, I suspect there is still a large part of the group that likes a catalog in the Mag rack in the bathroom, instead of electronics. Why some catalogs are so over produced, and likely very pricey, not sure why, it appears wasteful, and just lipstick on a pig IMO.

I agree about the wives and kids comments, but the other side is when chatting with an exhibitor, and say a Roger Penske passes by, and you become nearly invisible, is a bit disconcerting.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Is the Red Garter still in business on the square? A dancer borrowed my track jacket years ago and the Indy Star was there doing an undercover prostitution story...got my jacket on the front page of the Sunday paper!

Talk about free publicity!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

j-c-c wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:16 pm But IMO, PRI is also about establishing contacts, sharing technical passions, building trust, learning about new products, gaining information, getting parts in your hands, hearing clients wants AND complaints, and putting a face to the voice on the phone.
Yes, but for the professionals, not the guys building one or two engines, every 1-5 years, or the guy that drives the car, that thinks he can worm some sponsorship's from a few exhibitors.

As for the Roger Penske's, There's many a time, I'm talking to a guy that is building his own engine, that he races for fun, and 2 people behind him, waiting, is an engineer for an OEM, or a major race engine builder, who is visually growing impatient. Every time, I'm going to say excuse me for a minute, and go talk to that "Roger Penske", before he walks away. Those "Roger Penske's" and future "Roger Penske's, are the reason why we're there. Not to talk to the guy that Autocrosses his Miata on weekends.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

DaveMcLain wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:59 pm The name of the Mexican restaurant is La Margarita and it is in Fountain Square. 1043 Virginia Ave Suite 1

Another good one is supposed to be El Azabache but that's farther toward the South side of the city.
Thanks.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
kosky racing

Post by kosky racing »

Camking try Acapolco joes mexican been there a long time greatfood
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

kosky racing wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:43 pm Camking try Acapolco joes mexican been there a long time greatfood
I'll give it a shot.
I always go to the Tamale Place on Rockville Rd., and order 3 dozen Tamales to take home. I grew up about an hour from Mexico, and spent a lot of time, south of the border. It's funny that the best tamales I've had, come from Indiana.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

You don't scan the badges of the people who come to your booth?

I would think the Florida location would keep the wife/girl friend and kids out of the convention center?
(they'd be at the beach or somewhere more exciting than following their husband around)

I went to the Indy PRI for years and the Florida one till they moved back.
Liked the Florida location much better.
(but not as an exhibitor)

Even made it to Indy when there was a blizzard, not much happening then.

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com