Whiteperfomance1 & Assault Racing - heads any good???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tresi
Pro
Pro
Re: Whiteperfomance1 & Assault Racing - heads any good???

Post by tresi »

I've heard a few good things about them but with the price of the Brodix IK line my piece of mind was worth $100-$200
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

ARE the ones for SBF the same quality as the SBC? Been sold as NKB heads.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

turbo292 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:05 pm white is first class....known him 40yrs
Different White... His nephew is the one selling the heads.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

Bought a 496 kit from Skip White a couple of years ago. Had to make a change in pistons a few days after the order. The guy on the phone seemed knowledgeable and friendly. The switch was done without a problem. They are OK by me. Did read some stuff by others about a split up with Skip White, White performance and Performance 1. Never did figure out who was supposed to be the good guy. good luck on your quest.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

In something like this you are probably better to do a write up that simply tells readers if they are searching for the cheapest parts they better do their home work, It would be better for them to deal with a company like chad that uses them and can stand behind them vs just buying a set off of the interweb... If they are willing to send you some to test that would be better but they are going to send you their best for a write up as opposed to what the masses will buy off the shelf.

If they really wanted to prove their worth they could send you a purchase voucher per say where they will reimburse you for the set you purchase online so that you could order a set on line from who you choose and be able to see what they are selling and their quality control to the masses.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

GARY C wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:34 pmIt would be better for them to deal with a company like chad that uses them and can stand behind them vs just buying a set off of the interweb...
hehe, this reminded me of this:

Today, we salute you, Mr. Used Car Lot Auto Salesman....
You stand behind every car that you sell.
Because if you stood in front and the brakes failed, You'd be crushed.
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Picture of the Ford stuff.

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

nickpohlaandp wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:48 pm
GARY C wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:34 pmIt would be better for them to deal with a company like chad that uses them and can stand behind them vs just buying a set off of the interweb...
hehe, this reminded me of this:

Today, we salute you, Mr. Used Car Lot Auto Salesman....
You stand behind every car that you sell.
Because if you stood in front and the brakes failed, You'd be crushed.
No I have just found with my own machinist that hates Chinese products that after running some of them that customers brought in he had first hand experience with the plus and minus of them.

Several years back there were some crankshafts going around that were so Chinese the even the paper work said things like "This crink shoe be labalnced before use" but they were actually straighter and more consistent on the journals than the Eagle that had been around for a decade.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

GARY C wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:03 pm Several years back there were some crankshafts going around that were so Chinese the even the paper work said things like "This crink shoe be labalnced before use" but they were actually straighter and more consistent on the journals than the Eagle that had been around for a decade.
A lot can get lost in translation, that's for sure. I'll never forget yeeeears ago when my buddy and I were racing motorcycles in Hawaii, he got his hands on a Honda RS125, which was very competitive racing against the 600cc 4 stroke bikes. After a long and painful search we were able to get our hands on a manual for the RS125 and were doing a tune up on it in his garage. I can't remember exactly what we were doing, but I'll never forget how the Japanese manual was worded with this one step in the procedure we were doing:

"With the Trottle CROSED..."
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

nickpohlaandp wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:31 pm
GARY C wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:03 pm Several years back there were some crankshafts going around that were so Chinese the even the paper work said things like "This crink shoe be labalnced before use" but they were actually straighter and more consistent on the journals than the Eagle that had been around for a decade.
A lot can get lost in translation, that's for sure. I'll never forget yeeeears ago when my buddy and I were racing motorcycles in Hawaii, he got his hands on a Honda RS125, which was very competitive racing against the 600cc 4 stroke bikes. After a long and painful search we were able to get our hands on a manual for the RS125 and were doing a tune up on it in his garage. I can't remember exactly what we were doing, but I'll never forget how the Japanese manual was worded with this one step in the procedure we were doing:

"With the Trottle CROSED..."
Yes, my favorite part of China and Japan products is the paper work...
Please Note!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

lefty o wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:55 pm
David Vizard wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 pm
mark_follweiler wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 pm how can you make a decision based on internet stories? [-X
Simple - if they are reported bad I will investigate first hand. If they are reported good - I will investigate first hand!

The cheapest we for me to find out is to ask around.

That's just what I am doing.

Please - do you have anything to report??

DV
if you are going to investigate first hand regardless of the internet rumors, why start instigating before hand? just do it and let the cards land where they may.
Never go in cold - trust me this will be the best way to do it. I am trying to look out for others best interest.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

nickpohlaandp wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:01 pm I did some research on the whiteperformance1 BBC heads when I was looking at BBC heads, and the best I was able to come up with is that they are the same castings as the other "offshore" BBC heads, they just receive them bare and do their own final machining and installation of valvetrain components. I did a quick Google search of Assault Racing heads and it seemed to funnel me back to Flo Tek heads, which I know for a fact are head castings that are made in China, they receive them bare, do final machining and installation of valvetrain components.

In regard to whiteperformance1, what I wrote is purely speculation because I have not spoken to the owner directly. I don't want to make it seem like I know for sure that they are good, bad, or indifferent. I'm just letting you know what I found as I did my research.

If the Assault Racing heads are Flo Tek heads, then there's the possibility that they could be a good foundation to start with. I had a conversation with them via FB massager and they confirmed that, yes, they do get their castings made in China, but they actually went to China a few years back to visit different foundries, review quality at each, and made their decision from there. They receive the castings more or less in raw form and complete the machine work at their facility in Indianapolis. Flo Tek is an offshoot company of Tristate Cylinder Heads, and they offer some (from what I could tell from their website) very nice head work. It appears that Tristate Cylinder Head specializes in cylinder head repair, and they have some pretty impressive equipment for doing iron head repairs. I guess my point is, they don't strike me as a fly-by-night operation.

I hope this helps a little bit. I look forward to seeing some more books from you.
Thanks here Nick. This all helps with the background to build a more reliable picture.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

mark_follweiler wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:05 pm see, this is my point. 10 different posts and 10 different stories! and yes I do have some experience with them.
Let me hear it then and I will be the judge of whether it is useful.
Remember when all is said and done it is my name on the book and I alone take the responsibility for it. this actually means i should be allowed to do things my way!
DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Vee-Dizzie wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 pm
lefty o wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:55 pm
David Vizard wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Simple - if they are reported bad I will investigate first hand. If they are reported good - I will investigate first hand!

The cheapest we for me to find out is to ask around.

That's just what I am doing.

Please - do you have anything to report??

DV
if you are going to investigate first hand regardless of the internet rumors, why start instigating before hand? just do it and let the cards land where they may.
Exactly! They are cheap Chinese heads anyway,,,,,,,, what do you really wanna know :lol: ? I wouldn't think anyone credible would be messing with them regardless.
The only down side to tarring folk with a brush is tarring all of them with the same brush. That's what so many do to me and I sure don't like it. Result - i make sure i don't do it to other others.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

They are not Floteks. That chamber is totally different. FYI, Floteks as-cast ports were developed by Jones Engineering.

Flotek chamber