Whiteperfomance1 & Assault Racing - heads any good???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Whiteperfomance1 & Assault Racing - heads any good???

Post by David Vizard »

Both these companies offer really low buck SBF and SBC heads which I need to look at for consideration in two of my books on budget engine builds.
However no matter how cheap if they are not up to scratch as products and reputable companies i am not going to mention them. If they are really bad I will go to town on them --- big time!
What I need to know here is has anybody tried these heads or dealt with these companies.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
turbo292
Re: Whiteperfomance1 & Assault Racing - heads any good???

Post by turbo292 »

white is first class....known him 40yrs
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

If tha'ts the same as Skip White, you can do a search on Youtube , there's alot about him there, Can make your own decision.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

It would be nice To have them donate a set with an extra head to experiment with flows and porting then cut up to check casting thickness, port shapes and where the water is. Dyno test after?
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
mark_follweiler

Post by mark_follweiler »

how can you make a decision based on internet stories? [-X
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

mark_follweiler wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 pm how can you make a decision based on internet stories? [-X
Simple - if they are reported bad I will investigate first hand. If they are reported good - I will investigate first hand!

The cheapest we for me to find out is to ask around.

That's just what I am doing.

Please - do you have anything to report??

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

Good parts and a good company that will support the customer when something goes wrong are two very different things.

I've bought some small stuff from White Performance (studs kits, etc..). He definitely seems to offer some of the BEST prices on good parts when it comes to stroker kits. But I've seen some situations that concern me that if something goes wrong, you're definitely on your own. It's a small gamble that could save you a little money, or cost you a lot of it goes wrong.

This thread is long but worth reading through to see why you might want to set the bar higher than just "good parts": https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... 406/page-2

Adam
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

There are two camps in the Chinese made heads as far as I know, and from what I heard from guys running the Chinese stuff. You have the ones that are an utter disaster and you pretty much have to re-machine them yet they are still a soft alloy. Then you have the decent ones who can compete with the bigger names.

Never heard of NKB but there's a guy in Sweden selling Chinese heads and they are said to be pretty decent stuff actually. Company is Anabint.se.

The Chinese cast cylinder heads market is a jungle I think, so many different levels of quality you have to beware. Not saying the US made stuff is so much better these days but my AFR 210's, cast in 2005, were a bolt in and go. Slight lapping in on the valve seats thats all. They are on their second engine now.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

David Vizard wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 pm
mark_follweiler wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 pm how can you make a decision based on internet stories? [-X
Simple - if they are reported bad I will investigate first hand. If they are reported good - I will investigate first hand!

DV
if you are going to investigate first hand regardless of the internet rumors, why start instigating before hand? just do it and let the cards land where they may.
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

I did some research on the whiteperformance1 BBC heads when I was looking at BBC heads, and the best I was able to come up with is that they are the same castings as the other "offshore" BBC heads, they just receive them bare and do their own final machining and installation of valvetrain components. I did a quick Google search of Assault Racing heads and it seemed to funnel me back to Flo Tek heads, which I know for a fact are head castings that are made in China, they receive them bare, do final machining and installation of valvetrain components.

In regard to whiteperformance1, what I wrote is purely speculation because I have not spoken to the owner directly. I don't want to make it seem like I know for sure that they are good, bad, or indifferent. I'm just letting you know what I found as I did my research.

If the Assault Racing heads are Flo Tek heads, then there's the possibility that they could be a good foundation to start with. I had a conversation with them via FB massager and they confirmed that, yes, they do get their castings made in China, but they actually went to China a few years back to visit different foundries, review quality at each, and made their decision from there. They receive the castings more or less in raw form and complete the machine work at their facility in Indianapolis. Flo Tek is an offshoot company of Tristate Cylinder Heads, and they offer some (from what I could tell from their website) very nice head work. It appears that Tristate Cylinder Head specializes in cylinder head repair, and they have some pretty impressive equipment for doing iron head repairs. I guess my point is, they don't strike me as a fly-by-night operation.

I hope this helps a little bit. I look forward to seeing some more books from you.
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
mark_follweiler

Post by mark_follweiler »

see, this is my point. 10 different posts and 10 different stories! and yes I do have some experience with them.
user-29956

Post by user-29956 »

lefty o wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:55 pm
David Vizard wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 pm

DV
if you are going to investigate first hand regardless of the internet rumors, why start instigating before hand? just do it and let the cards land where they may.
Exactly! They are cheap Chinese heads anyway,,,,,,,, what do you really wanna know :lol: ? I wouldn't think anyone credible would be messing with them regardless.
496s10

Post by 496s10 »

Talk to Chad Speier he use to use those as his econo head.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

As far as I know both the Skip White and Assualt are ProHeaders which is a Dart Platinum copy with the spark plug much higher.

I've been through 100+ castings with my CNC program. Never had a reported issue. Seats are small at 2.087 diameter, and soft but work.

I have made 670hp with them on a 385 13-1 SBC with my CNC port.

I have made 550hp with them on a 383 on pump gas with my CNC port.

The as-cast flows 260@.700.

My CNC port flow 290@.700 and 303@1.000 w/2.055 at 220cc.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

You can clearly see in this photo the difference in the plug. That is a Dart chamber we ran in the import.