General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by David Vizard »

MTENGINES wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:38 am
Carnut1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 am 1025171947a.jpg Gearing up for my next thread. Sohc counterflow port design project. DV's flowbench program will be a big help in this project. I love a challenge so this will be fun. Thanks, Charlie
I'm not trying to discredit you or DV.. but how about you build something. Post your results, then modify it again to show your results. Vs show what a program will do. I have used pipemax to find out an engine wanted different frombwhatbwas suggested . Try things. I don't post much but nit doesn't mean I don't know much.

I can tell you there are simple formulas you can apply based on real world data, if you build and dyno/race stuff. but a dyno mule rarely wins an event. So who cares what that data is. Learn what can be done with a casring. It is what it is. That's why we have aftermarket castings. Because stock can't be modified enough.
Mr. MTENGINES Sir,

What exactly would preclude 7 sets of cylinder heads test (scheduled post Christmas) on a 347 SBF each with two different intakes from being categorized as 'trying stuff?? I am doing this all the time - that's how I make my living!!!

Also my results are posted or made public as it would serve no purpose to me if they were not.

Yes there are simple formulas out the that have been around for years, I prefer to put a lot of effort into advancing the 'state-of-art' that's why I have been granted so many patents. As for winning a race with a dyno mule - done that and and positively kick butt.

Would you like to hear the story of the race winning (lapped all but second place) engine I had protested by all the field bar one? This engine was 240 cc too small for the class but that was only a part of it. The events that surround that protest makes for one heck of a tale but maybe not for here.

Right now I have about 5 engines going through the shop - all being used to test something or other for editorial purposes.

Honestly I would like to have more time to devote to these builds but in a way time that I have lost to such work has been mostly caused by you. I have spent literally hours and hours trying to get my cuttered ports to look as good as yours. You need to stop posting pics of those 'super ports' as all it does is keep moving up the bar for the rest of us(except maybe for Charlie)!

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Facciano
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Joe, how many Cubic Inches and how many rpm's will these billet heads be feeding, or do you know at this point ? Mark H.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I haven't decided on how big the motor will be. Probably a 406 with a mid-range cam with lots of intake valve lift. I would like to see how much power they can make in a mild build, then go from there.
Joe Facciano
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

With that much flow, I wouldn't think you couldn't keep the power below 900 @ 9,000 in a 408! :shock:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I'm hoping around 900 hp in a street/strip configuration and 1,000+ in full race. There's alot of experimentation going on with this head, so I don't want to get too caught up with total power numbers. It's going to be a "wait and see" situation. I think it's going to be a game changer head, but it may be a total flop.

I designed the head around the Ferrea 7" 2.35" intake valve. Exhaust is going to be 1.50". CHE made the custom 3.5" 5/16 valve guides, so it should have a very stable valve. The exhaust will use a standard 23 degree Stahl pattern spreadport header and the intake side uses a standard SB2.2 valley tray, so I got the thermostat and distributor out of the way early on. It will use a custom valve cover that is about .750" wider than stock. This is so I can use SB2.2 style long rockers for high rocker ratios, like 2:1, so that I can get those high flow numbers around the 1.00" area. I think with a 55 degree valve job it'll flow around 500 CFM at 1.00". A big help will be the valve spacing. It'll be .125/.250, so the intake valve is way over. The head also has a negative 5 degree intake face which allows me to more center the valves in the combustion chamber. The intake port measures 2.4 X 1.5, so it's not huge like you'd think. All I need now is the intake spider and shaft system. Up until this point this head has been coming together very smoothly. I hope the shaft system isn't an issue. Shouldn't be.
Joe Facciano
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Joe, nice looking work!
Just curious why with all the customization you did not settle on a symmetrical port layout?

Seems like with those valve sizes and the bore size it might be easier to use that type of layout to locate the valves in the chamber and still keep some balance cylinder to cylinder based on port bias and entry angle.

Really hope we can follow progress to completion. I love to watch projects like this and see the ultimate success. Keep on cutt'in!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Mostly wanted to keep the traditional SBC layout so that near standard headers can be used while the SBC look was maintained. Always thought LS motors looked too much like a Ford small block.
Joe Facciano
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Joe, i am a little cornfused---will the intake port layout be liken to an SB-2.2 design ? Mark H. thanks
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Will you need to clearance the hood for the valve covers?...lol. I hope it gets a pretty tall intake on there, would look weird with the carb under the valvecovers.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

It's a standard SBC intake port layout. You can see the 4 inside intake bolt holes in the standard location. Intake ports are 2.2" above the deck. Exhaust ports are 4" high. I forgot to take some updated pictures today. The first head has all the ports done but is still on the CNC machine.

It's really a hybrid head using the best of what I think are important. 23 degree exhaust face and port layout with 18 degree valve angles and a sb2.2 valley tray with sb2.2 rocker lengths.
Joe Facciano
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Yeh Joe i see the bolt holes now, i missed them earlier thanks Mark H. Looking forward to seeing more pictures Joe-----i love it---fabrication that is !!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Mr. Vizard, would you mind saying (telling) us what the M.C.S.A. of the intake port was on that 18 deg. GM head when it flowed 367 at .800" lift ? Thanks Mark H. :)
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

JoePorting wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:49 pm DSCF0001.JPGhttp://download/file.php?mode=view&id=16387spe ... 8e169d9da4
Wow how long are those valve stems going to be?
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Turdwilly------7" intake valve as stated by him in the 2:23 am posting, Mark H.