General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Re: Chevy spec motor vs Ford horsepower

Post by 1972ho »

Do one of these and have the best of both worlds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rdkonkel

Post by rdkonkel »

What is that!?
hpetew

Post by hpetew »

It might not even be a 347, a 302 with the same engine location as a sbc can get through the corners well enough to beat a 355 chevy. If you have to run the engine in a stock location Ford's kinda suffer.
John Haskell

Post by John Haskell »

A yes for sure in Ford NASCAR performance using the iron 'N' head. The stock bench numbers had to be real close to the GM head by force from NASCAR for the simple reason Ford didn't have a stock head to race the GM boys. NASCAR didn't want Ford to upset the GM domination but to just be competitive. It didn't turn out to well for GM as it eventually was evident. Some oval tracks banned the 'N'.
Ford did not go deep in the development of that head like it needed. There is a science behind water jacket flow currents & displacement. Ford didn't do enough if any. They cracked about all of them & then had an update. They really needed the wings in the water jackets that were designed for the Windsors. Don't believe Fords foundry poured those.

GM seemed to have an improved iron wedge head pretty regular through the years however, Ford wedge heads never had squat until the 'N' in stock form. The combustion chamber is the real power maker in that head I believe. It has that center focus bias discharge that turns low air bench numbers into real good power. Folks that have built & raced using 'N' heads have been lost on why they make the power they do in stock form.---- Probably 10+ years ago an old friend had a 351 W for the stock head NASCAR class. I saw the Dyno sheet. 630 horse power w/a flat tappet. Still don't believe it's possible but Iv'e heard it since then to be more here & there. But the OP was looking at the 350 size crate engine. So, I was passing on my experience with the Ford & Chev factory installed wedge heads.

If the aftermarket or Ford would have got behind the small block performance like GM did during the mid 60's through the 70's, with the wedge heads, it would all be different for GM. They (GM) really never did have anything to push back against them. Sure Ford made some special heads but you & I couldn't buy them. They were for their chosen few to show everyone they were fast enough to be competitive. Didn't do the regular racer any good not getting the same parts. @Canadian style, C6ME-289 GT-40, Large 'F' head, SK head, Tran-Am, were not available to you. It's been that way for decades. I've been there, experienced it & complained about it.

Small block Mopars are overlooked big time too. Nothing wrong with those at all.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Racerrick wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:36 pm
John Haskell wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:23 am

Get an LS head & it's over for the Ford. Ford doesn't have current development & never will.
LOL spoken like a true Govrnment motors libtard. Call me when GM produce anything that even comes close to the engineering in a Ford GT. GM never will and never has built anything that even comes close. FACT.
If you haven't ever heard of John Haskell, maybe you should. Haskell is well respected for his cylinder head work/development, especially for FORD heads. He doesn't come on here and post much, but worth paying attention to when he does.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

rdkonkel wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 pm What is that!?
SBF with LS heads.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

rdkonkel wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:27 pm
ZIGGY wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:04 am Maybe the guy's just a better racer...
Easy to be better if you have a bunch more power in a limited class...
I agree Fords have some advantages in a limited class. Having said that, I ask:
If you had your competitor's engine, would you win every race as he did?
Not trying to insult you, point is that there is no magic bullet in racing.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

blykins wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 am
SBF with LS heads.
Bolts right on
And no gm never took any r&d of fords?????ya right. Lol
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Um...., yall realize a canted valve cleveland bolts right on with aftermarket support right? Um, why bother?
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

blykins wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 am
SBF with LS heads.
who makes a intake manifold ??
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

JodyB wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:19 pm Um...., yall realize a canted valve cleveland bolts right on with aftermarket support right? Um, why bother.

Im glad they never knew that when Glidden was running or he would've had 600lbs in trunk instead of 300!
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

rdkonkel wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:45 pm Rules allow chevy’s the dart s/r head 75 cc with the small ports. Fords can’t run the N heads.
What I’m wondering is if the chevy 350 is at a disadvantage vs a 351w for torque/hp.
Ford can have the world s/r head.

Ok So Ford gets the World Products head. The small Windsor SR, That's a 180cc intake runner and big improvement over stock passenger car heads.

Chevy gets the small Dart S/S head, that a 165CC intake runner.

Then is it really just more power?

If the Ford car wins down the straight everytime, coming out the corner even, then pulling away a couple car lengths. He's got more power.

If it's lower lap times because of higher corner entrance and exit speeds, that's more the car and driver.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o