Moderator: Team

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Re: Pressure in radiator after engine is totally cool

Post by GRTfast »

treyrags wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:52 pm
GRTfast wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:27 am
midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:55 am It's not always headgasket. I've seen guys fix it by flushing the system, filling with the correct ratio of distilled water/coolant many times.

Here's just 1 example. Seems like tap water is the common theme between them.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... zinc+anode

And 1 more

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... ?t=1838450
That is really interesting, thanks for the information.

I have softened well water at my house. Last night I drained the system and refilled with my tap water (well water) and there was a little pressure in the system this morning (without running the car at all). I'm gonna pick up flushing kit, some distilled water, and some antifreeze today and do a full flush and refill with blend of the distilled water and antifreeze. If I'm still having issues after that, I'll pull the heads.
You already had the ideal water. Soft water is preferred over distilled .
Sorry for my wording, I think it was confusing.. my tap water is softened well water. That's what is in the car now.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

Update:

Did a full flush, and put in distilled water with 20% antifreeze. Drove it for an hour last night with many hard pulls up to 100 mph. Zero pressure in the system this morning and radiator is full to the tip top.

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like it was an issue with the water outgassing.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Good to hear!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
jasonn

Post by jasonn »

gramps wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 am Had similar pressure problem, it ended up being the water additive we were using in race motor. Tested for compression gases in water, even pulled the top end to check gaskets and cracks, found nothing, put everything back together filled coolant system with plain water no more pressure after cool down. We think we added distilled water to system which was a no no with this additive.
I had exact same issue.
1970 mach with mild 351w
11.40's@117
1970 prostreet fastback with pump gas 427
8.58@157 2nd place pro street p/a 2021 drag week