Pressure in radiator after engine is totally cool

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Re: Pressure in radiator after engine is totally cool

Post by Circlotron »

pamotorman wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:46 pm there is a chemical reaction going on in the coolant causing a pressure build up. happens with apple cider after a setting few weeks
Back in the 60s my dad knew these two guys who were on the last leg of a long trip home hauling a load with this International 6 cyl petrol powered semi truck. The thing boiled over on a hill and all they had available to refill it with was a dozen bottles of beer. Not to far down the road it became a very fizzy drink episode. :D
claysmoker

Post by claysmoker »

Drain the system and refill with distilled water. I'll bet the "problem" goes away.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

GRTfast wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:41 pm

So you’re suggesting it is a leaking head gasket, and the water has so much co2 in it that after 8-9 hours cold with no radiator cap, it still could build a bunch of pressure up once the cap was reinstalled the next day, without ever running the engine? Honestly at this point, that is just as plausible as the outgassing coolant additive reaction. I’m gonna keep driving it since I’m not losing coolant, and it’s not overheating. We’ll see what happens.

Problems fixed early are easy and cheap and convenient.

If you leave them then"Murphy's law" will get you.

It'll leave you stranded in the wrong place at the wrong time and it'll cost you lots of $$$$$$.

What happens next is you'll pop a hose, then another one, then maybe the radiator........but you'll still be in denial.

I'm guessing this is the same rat rod that's got too much crankcase pressure ?
That needs fixing too.
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

Check oil, check plugs and check cylinders with a probe. If it checks out, and it does not lose or no contaminant coolant no worries.

YES A CLOSED SYSTEM CAN HOLD PRESSURE OVERNIGHT.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

It's not always headgasket. I've seen guys fix it by flushing the system, filling with the correct ratio of distilled water/coolant many times.

Here's just 1 example. Seems like tap water is the common theme between them.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... zinc+anode

And 1 more

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... ?t=1838450
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

It's because coolant (antifreeze) has special stuff in it which fixes small leaks....sodium silicate.

A proper modern cooling system will start off at zero pressure and full to the top.
As it warms up to the correct temp, the coolant expands (the cap vents at it's rated pressure) and flows into the expansion bottle.
When it cools, the pressure drops and a different valve opens so that the cooling system sucks coolant back out of the expansion tank and into the radiator.
If there's a loss of coolant from the radiator or if there's residual pressure, it's broken.
Problems always get worse before they get better.
Most owners / drivers wouldn't know.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

joe 90 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:26 am
GRTfast wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:41 pm

So you’re suggesting it is a leaking head gasket, and the water has so much co2 in it that after 8-9 hours cold with no radiator cap, it still could build a bunch of pressure up once the cap was reinstalled the next day, without ever running the engine? Honestly at this point, that is just as plausible as the outgassing coolant additive reaction. I’m gonna keep driving it since I’m not losing coolant, and it’s not overheating. We’ll see what happens.

Problems fixed early are easy and cheap and convenient.

If you leave them then"Murphy's law" will get you.

It'll leave you stranded in the wrong place at the wrong time and it'll cost you lots of $$$$$$.

What happens next is you'll pop a hose, then another one, then maybe the radiator........but you'll still be in denial.

I'm guessing this is the same rat rod that's got too much crankcase pressure ?
That needs fixing too.
Crankcase pressure issue is fixed. Oddly enough, it seemed to be worn exhaust valve guides. I got the guides done and viola, zero issue. I had it up to 140mph wide open with no oil coming out of the dipstick or breathers.

Regarding this issue, if I’m not losing coolant or over heating, or blowing coolant out of the overflow, I’m hesitant to tear it down.

I get this feeling from your posts that you think I don’t want to work on it or something. I spent 3000 hours building this car, I have no issue tearing into it. I just want to make sure I understand what’s going on before I do. No sense in pulling it apart if I’m chasing a problem that isn’t there. I appreciate your insight, but there’s no need to be condescending.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

kimosabi wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 am Check oil, check plugs and check cylinders with a probe. If it checks out, and it does not lose or no contaminant coolant no worries.

YES A CLOSED SYSTEM CAN HOLD PRESSURE OVERNIGHT.
I did this with bore scope I bought for my iPhone. Everything looks normal. Plugs look good. Not losing coolant. I have a coolant contaminant kit coming from amazon, but another member here tells me it’s useless. We will see I guess.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:55 am It's not always headgasket. I've seen guys fix it by flushing the system, filling with the correct ratio of distilled water/coolant many times.

And 1 more

That is really interesting, thanks for the information.

I have softened well water at my house. Last night I drained the system and refilled with my tap water (well water) and there was a little pressure in the system this morning (without running the car at all). I'm gonna pick up flushing kit, some distilled water, and some antifreeze today and do a full flush and refill with blend of the distilled water and antifreeze. If I'm still having issues after that, I'll pull the heads.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

You might save some bucks , or atleast time by just switching right over to Evans waterless coolant!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
geraldtson

Post by geraldtson »

You don't even have a problem.Seen many keep pressure for weeks without cranking. To the contrary it's a good thing. Means you're system is sealed up good and no leaks. Go to fooling with it and its all for nothing.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

geraldtson wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:21 am You don't even have a problem.Seen many keep pressure for weeks without cranking. To the contrary it's a good thing. Means you're system is sealed up good and no leaks. Go to fooling with it and its all for nothing.
I suspect this may be the case, but I'm trying to be proactive. I appreciate the feedback.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

GRTfast wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:27 am
midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:55 am It's not always headgasket. I've seen guys fix it by flushing the system, filling with the correct ratio of distilled water/coolant many times.

And 1 more

That is really interesting, thanks for the information.

I have softened well water at my house. Last night I drained the system and refilled with my tap water (well water) and there was a little pressure in the system this morning (without running the car at all). I'm gonna pick up flushing kit, some distilled water, and some antifreeze today and do a full flush and refill with blend of the distilled water and antifreeze. If I'm still having issues after that, I'll pull the heads.
You already had the ideal water. Soft water is preferred over distilled .
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

If you can't just ignore this non-issue, how about either letting the soft water stand for a couple of days to out-gas before filling the system, or just leave the rad cap off and see if eventually no pressure build up occurs when it's installed?
Changing head gaskets at this point makes as much sense as swapping on the spare tire to see if radio reception improves.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

MadBill wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:08 pm If you can't just ignore this non-issue, how about either letting the soft water stand for a couple of days to out-gas before filling the system, or just leave the rad cap off and see if eventually no pressure build up occurs when it's installed?
Changing head gaskets at this point makes as much sense as swapping on the spare tire to see if radio reception improves.
That's not a bad idea. The reason I am still not taking the head gasket option off the table is due to some advice another member gave, which is that a blown head gasket could be diffusing CO2 from the exhaust into the coolant. Trust me though, I plan to exhaustively (hehe) pursue the other possibilities before I go down that path. It is my pursuit of happiness that drives me to understand the cause of things.... ;)
Last edited by GRTfast on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.