***Post Pics of what you are working on**

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
mdengine
New Member
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:06 am
Location: Georgia

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by mdengine » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:53 pm

Cutting seat on a flat head
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3215
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by Carnut1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:57 am

I shall not covet, I shall not covet, I shall not covet, your Serdi.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:31 am

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by mag2555 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:41 am

Joe I have been doing electronic repairs since 74 and repaired more color TVs , receivers , CB radios and restored more vintage guitar amps then I care to think about!

I have been using WD-40 on Pots for 30 years with no issues!

What your seing is the fact that some pots have some much Carbon dust in them that if you do not use a cleaner to flush them out first, or even taking them apart to do so then the scratchyness will come back once the lube be it WD-40 or Pot cleaner / lube evaporates!

On pots that I have to go thru the extra step of unsoldering and taking apart I use silicone grease to lube up the Carbon track and that never evaporates!

rfoll
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: St. Helens, OR

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by rfoll » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:47 pm

PICT0351.JPG
PICT0352.JPG
I haven't started working on this yet, but I need to somehow get it off the trailer. The pinion yoke is up against the floor board. The welds broke and the threads pulled on the CalTrac bar. It looks like the stock drive shaft is toast. I needed to upgrade these parts, looks like I waited too long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So much to do, so little time...

stealth
Expert
Expert
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:37 am

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by stealth » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:57 pm

What welds broke? Center housing to axle tube?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Kbails
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by Kbails » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:16 pm

rfoll wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:47 pm
PICT0351.JPGPICT0352.JPGI haven't started working on this yet, but I need to somehow get it off the trailer. The pinion yoke is up against the floor board. The welds broke and the threads pulled on the CalTrac bar. It looks like the stock drive shaft is toast. I needed to upgrade these parts, looks like I waited too long.
did the center spin on the tubes? or did the perches break off?
You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by GARY C » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:31 pm

rfoll wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:47 pm
PICT0351.JPGPICT0352.JPGI haven't started working on this yet, but I need to somehow get it off the trailer. The pinion yoke is up against the floor board. The welds broke and the threads pulled on the CalTrac bar. It looks like the stock drive shaft is toast. I needed to upgrade these parts, looks like I waited too long.
Thats why I went to a pinion snubber and just used my Cal Tracks to adjust left and right as needed, they will still bend over time but you can catch it.
This car is leaving on the snubber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgKOCo0GhU

rfoll
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: St. Helens, OR

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by rfoll » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:05 pm

The center spun on the tubes. There were only about 3 threads engaged on the front tube on the driver side. When you adjust the bars, you don't know how much thread engagement is there. It never occurred to me to check it, the equipment is designed for the application. I suspect I need 1" longer tubes. It felt like the mother of all launches, 50 degrees, dry air, and sea level barometer, until it broke 3 lengths out.
So much to do, so little time...

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by GARY C » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am

rfoll wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:05 pm
The center spun on the tubes. There were only about 3 threads engaged on the front tube on the driver side. When you adjust the bars, you don't know how much thread engagement is there. It never occurred to me to check it, the equipment is designed for the application. I suspect I need 1" longer tubes. It felt like the mother of all launches, 50 degrees, dry air, and sea level barometer, until it broke 3 lengths out.
Yeah that would be scary, the rear on the car I posted in the vid had to have the rear replaced once in about 8 years due to distortion but the tubes were not welded to the center section beyond what was done from the factory. I have seen where guys will drill the cast center section and do more plug welds, some feel that trying to weld around them will cause a weak point...Consult a professional! :D

Turborick
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: Palmdale, Ca
Contact:

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by Turborick » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:04 am

Hope to run it next week end
14567978_10211241240416662_2963183980247069396_n.jpg
21761652_10214778109876188_1812262841439958557_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Yacoucci

Nebulous Theorem III.V
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:22 am

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by Rick Finsta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:12 am

Land speed car?

rfoll
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: St. Helens, OR

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by rfoll » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:11 am

GARY C wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am
rfoll wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:05 pm
The center spun on the tubes. There were only about 3 threads engaged on the front tube on the driver side. When you adjust the bars, you don't know how much thread engagement is there. It never occurred to me to check it, the equipment is designed for the application. I suspect I need 1" longer tubes. It felt like the mother of all launches, 50 degrees, dry air, and sea level barometer, until it broke 3 lengths out.
Yeah that would be scary, the rear on the car I posted in the vid had to have the rear replaced once in about 8 years due to distortion but the tubes were not welded to the center section beyond what was done from the factory. I have seen where guys will drill the cast center section and do more plug welds, some feel that trying to weld around them will cause a weak point...Consult a professional! :D
I wondered about welding the outer edge of the center, you share my concerns.
So much to do, so little time...

rfoll
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: St. Helens, OR

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by rfoll » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:12 am

Turborick wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:04 am
Hope to run it next week end

14567978_10211241240416662_2963183980247069396_n.jpg21761652_10214778109876188_1812262841439958557_n.jpg
Please post your results.
So much to do, so little time...

Turborick
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: Palmdale, Ca
Contact:

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by Turborick » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Rick Finsta wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:12 am
Land speed car?
Yes we will be running @ El Mirage next weekend
IMG_0049.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Yacoucci

Nebulous Theorem III.V
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

stealth
Expert
Expert
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:37 am

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by stealth » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:20 pm

GARY C wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am
rfoll wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:05 pm
The center spun on the tubes. There were only about 3 threads engaged on the front tube on the driver side. When you adjust the bars, you don't know how much thread engagement is there. It never occurred to me to check it, the equipment is designed for the application. I suspect I need 1" longer tubes. It felt like the mother of all launches, 50 degrees, dry air, and sea level barometer, until it broke 3 lengths out.
Yeah that would be scary, the rear on the car I posted in the vid had to have the rear replaced once in about 8 years due to distortion but the tubes were not welded to the center section beyond what was done from the factory. I have seen where guys will drill the cast center section and do more plug welds, some feel that trying to weld around them will cause a weak point...Consult a professional! :D
I like to drill and tap a large diameter cap screw through center into tubes. Basically pins the tubes in place.

Countersink the head with a tight fit.

Just make sure bolt doesn’t touch axle.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Post Reply