Really weird bore wear - I'm stumped

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

carmakerevive

Re: Really weird bore wear - I'm stumped

Post by carmakerevive »

Would it be for protection against bore lip damage from detonation?
"Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine..."
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

DaveMcLain wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:31 pm Its tough to believe that's really necessary in a diesel application because I've seen a lot of those with a ton of miles and really very little cylinder wall wear. Assuming a regular cast iron block was used in the 5.9 Cummins, 7.3 Ford etc.

Unless it is all about the reduction of emissions. Maybe to allow a lighter ring package instead of the keystone type of top ring..
I'd not mind if they did it to ford 6.0 and 6.4, I'd not have as much work but then again I don't particularly enjoy working on those either. I'm not happy and customers are not happy. With the cummins everybody is happy.
Ring and cylinder wear has as much as doubled in recent engines with common rail and a lot of emissions mods compared how it was with mechanical injection. The duramax block and rings are AMAZING.....BUT.....you pay for it, 2-3x more fr every part.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

So someone is actually doing laser honing. I thought it was just one of my pipe dream ideas... Makes sense Gehring is doing it. They also do sintered
metal powder (spray welding) cylinder coating machines too.

Edit: WAIT NM, Heller does the cylinder coating machine. Oh well..
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/29386607+ ... linder.jpg

Photo 7/29 | The top 2 inches of the cylinders are induction-hardened to radically reduce cylinder-wall wear caused by the piston rings. These leopard-spot-like markings, caused by the hardening process, are not visible on new blocks, as the final honing process erases them.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

1972ho wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 pm https://www.gehring.de/sites/default/fi ... -en-ww.pdf Looks a lot like this.
Just when you think you've see it all!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

modok wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:53 pm
DaveMcLain wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:31 pm Its tough to believe that's really necessary in a diesel application because I've seen a lot of those with a ton of miles and really very little cylinder wall wear. Assuming a regular cast iron block was used in the 5.9 Cummins, 7.3 Ford etc.

Unless it is all about the reduction of emissions. Maybe to allow a lighter ring package instead of the keystone type of top ring..
I'd not mind if they did it to ford 6.0 and 6.4, I'd not have as much work but then again I don't particularly enjoy working on those either. I'm not happy and customers are not happy. With the cummins everybody is happy.
Ring and cylinder wear has as much as doubled in recent engines with common rail and a lot of emissions mods compared how it was with mechanical injection. The duramax block and rings are AMAZING.....BUT.....you pay for it, 2-3x more fr every part.
Why Ford ever dropped the 7.3 is beyond me!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:01 pm
modok wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Why Ford ever dropped the 7.3 is beyond me!
The good ol' 7.3 would not meet current emission standards without a lot of rework.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I see. It just seems like it would be less cost to perfect it than to produce a completely knew engine.
Please Note!
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:31 pm I see. It just seems like it would be less cost to perfect it than to produce a completely knew engine.
That is a natural thinking, but newer engines are designed to cost less to be manufactured (and meet more stringent emission levels). Bean counters are always on the steering wheel, not engineers.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:31 pm I see. It just seems like it would be less cost to perfect it than to produce a completely knew engine.
Not when the inadequacies are inherent to the design. Time marches on, we learn better ways of manufacturing, we get new technologies to put into the engines, we get better materials. The 7.3 was a fine engine for its time but so was the 300 straight six.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

peejay wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:16 pm
Not when the inadequacies are inherent to the design. Time marches on, we learn better ways of manufacturing, we get new technologies to put into the engines, we get better materials. The 7.3 was a fine engine for its time but so was the 300 straight six.
Has cummins had to redesign theirs over the years?
Please Note!
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:29 pm
peejay wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:16 pm
Has Cummins had to redesign theirs over the years?
C'mon man, Cummins is Cummins :wink:. The venerable ISB has been receiving continuous improvements since launched in '98. But some engines were retired for the same reason (e.g.: L10, N14, ISM11, ...). By the way, they're launching a new HD engine, the X12, I've heard good things about it.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I'm just asking, the only thing I know about Diesels is you don't want to put unleaded in them and it will tow your trailer house even if it doesn't have wheels. Oh and they require more maintenance and I'm lazy so I stuck with a gas powered truck. :D
Please Note!
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:27 pm Oh and they require more maintenance
That would be incorrect.
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

Its simply for wear. The duramax block is gray iron and the induction hardening prevents wear in that area.