BBC thoughts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: BBC thoughts

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

That lil guy just wanted to find a warm spot and give you a bit of "MuskRat LuV" ha ha .
Could have been a Moose.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

With your previously stated welding fabrication trade skills
it should not be much for you to rig up an engine/test trans stand with colling etc over the winter.

Long long cold Saskatchewan winter. .

Yiu could even dial in that 2x qjets on a 1 4bbl adapter
scheme for your single race dominator intake too.
See my other posts about using 2 qjets inline but in a "Six Shooter" configuration... It is 1340 cfm @1.5". And very street car friendly.
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

i would put it on 106.

I would like to see you run the car with the cam change only if you have time this year.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Hey Billy. I just stabbed it in and with the timing chain in the zero position i get an ICL of 105.5 . Sounds like a good place to start. Racing is done this year. I know you are right about testing the cam change by itself but thats not gonna happen. I have the intake off of it and i need to sell it. New carbs are on the way. Tunnel ram is ready to go on. I know it will be impossible to know what helped and what didn't when i start racing next year but thats a problem i'm gonna have to live with.

F-bird - i'm also sure you are right about building the tranbrake dyno but thats a ton of work. There is no way i have the time or money or ambition to do all that. I would just buy a adjustable cam drive such as a Jesel setup and test it at the track. Moving the cam around doesn't seem to make much difference. This new Erson cam should make more torque than the old Lunati because of the 108 vs 110 LSA. I moved the Lunati from 108 ICL to 103 and its tough to say if it made a big difference.

Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:22 pm Hey Billy. I just stabbed it in and with the timing chain in the zero position i get an ICL of 105.5 . Sounds like a good place to start. Racing is done this year. I know you are right about testing the cam change by itself but thats not gonna happen. I have the intake off of it and i need to sell it. New carbs are on the way. Tunnel ram is ready to go on. I know it will be impossible to know what helped and what didn't when i start racing next year but thats a problem i'm gonna have to live with.

F-bird - i'm also sure you are right about building the tranbrake dyno but thats a ton of work. There is no way i have the time or money or ambition to do all that. I would just buy a adjustable cam drive such as a Jesel setup and test it at the track. Moving the cam around doesn't seem to make much difference. This new Erson cam should make more torque than the old Lunati because of the 108 vs 110 LSA. I moved the Lunati from 108 ICL to 103 and its tough to say if it made a big difference.

Brian
It is 100 times harder to test and evaluate cam ICL at the track than it is at the dyno. You don't have a dyno within a few hours of you? It's well worth is to use a dyno to test things like that.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

I agree but

its 3 hours away

$900 for one day

i don't have bunch of parts to test anyways.

but yes you are absolutley right.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

after more playing with the degree wheel ( i know just enough to be dangerous) I come up with intake opening of 31 at .050 and 64 closing at .050
Do those numbers jive with my 105.5 ICL ?

the card calls for 29 and 65 at 108 ICL.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

No one here or Lunati or you cam card knows what your engine wants, only a dyno will tell you that. Every thing else is SWAG!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:29 pm after more playing with the degree wheel ( i know just enough to be dangerous) I come up with intake opening of 31 at .050 and 64 closing at .050
Do those numbers jive with my 105.5 ICL ?

the card calls for 29 and 65 at 108 ICL.
Intake closing of 64 is a good place to be with your engine.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Here is the math:

cam card 29 + 180 +65 = 274 274 / 2 - 29 = 108 deg intake C/L

your readings from degree wheel 31 + 180 + 64 = 275 275 / 2 -31 = 106.5 106.5 deg installed intake C/L

This assumes that you did the TDC right to position the degree wheel and are not getting angular or defection error from the dial indicator.

SET up the dial indicator on Cylinder #6 and repeat. Do the intake and the ex .050" timing.

What does the whole cam card say?

Does the cam lobe lift measurement agree with the cam card? Do the .050" in/ex valve events match it. other than cam position.

if the Degree wheel positioning (TDC) is wrong the valve events will be wrong too.

i would start with the cam in well advanced 102 to 104 deg intake C/L as a start point..
Start out with the cam advanced. For you ,,, it is going to be better.
My Magic Squirrel says so.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

This test stall transmission need not cost a lot of money or be hard to do.
You can perform these short time duration quick read max stall stationary stall rpm tests using your trans in your car
if you take basic care to avoid overheating the transmission.
Short time tests with cool down time and (forced) air flow across a trans cooler cooler between tests.
And time to allow the trans fluid to recover.

You will get better answers to the questions that matter using this tool than asking people on the internet.

You will get the car tuneup 97% race ready.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You could even buy a Used racing torque converter that "has a broken sprag"

Crap I think the sprag broke, My ET is off"....
The car launches lazy now....

This common when the converter has a broken sprag
it is usually repairable....

When the stator sprag "breaks" the torque converter becomes a 2 element fluid coupling.
It still functions but does not multiply engine torque at stall on launch.
The stator just free wheels inside. Bad for drag racing...good for doing stationary stall tests.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

there is no turning back now! I'm just about ready to fire this baby up with the new cam and the tunnel ram. I bought the 750 track warriors that i posted earlier and its looking pretty serious.
Brian

Picture 372.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

float levels were way to high but other than that it fired right up and sat and idled awesome. I backed off the main idle screw a 1/2 turn on each carb (they are calibrated for single carb use) and now it idles at a nice low rpm. After it warmed up i blip the throttle and it seems to have amazingly quick response. Just to run it a little i set the valves at .018 cold. It calls for .025 or .026 hot i think. I didn't put the stud girdles on because i am going to be taking the rockers all off for winter storage. To bad there are no race days left here. We have a couple nice days right now so i may drive it around town a little and show off all that jewelry.
Brian

one question : is it better to put the throttle return springs on the carb linkage or down on the main linkage?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Lookin' serious now. .

The springs go on the carb.

The idea being if the linkage fails the spring on the carb
will close the throttle.