General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: 8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

Post by Carnut1 »

John Wallace wrote:No.

The R/S ratio determines the maximum piston inertial loading and the optimum crankshaft angle

The greater the R/S, the less the maximum inertial piston loading and the more reliable the engine or the greater the red line.

The greater the R/S, the further past TDC the optimum crank angle occurs and the higher rpm at which the same maximum torque will occur with resultant higher horsepower

R/S greater than 1.9 starts to entail valve overlap breathing problems, possibly though.

This combo (if 3.48 crank) has a 2.33 R/S which would assume it is for a higher RPM engine?

:?:
With a welded con rod? I am thinking 6000 rpm max with that rod. I don't really see the advantages of such a long rod on a strength limited, rpm limited combo. Unless the piston-pin assembly is super light. I am hoping for a learning moment. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Mark O'Neal wrote:
gvx wrote:
blykins wrote:Like I said, then maybe from here on out, I'll start a couple of threads with some cliffhangers,
Then again maybe you can showcase your superior intelect and start a thread about solving the P versus NP equation? Now there's a cliff hanger that could get some traction. .....................Crickets chirping.....................
Well....P versus NP isn't an equation. P = NP isn't either, since there is no problem to solve. Both are statements. P = NP? seems to be the correct expression, and the answer appears to be "no sometimes and yes other times."

It may be the most important question in computer science, but who cares if it takes more or less time to solve a problem or verify the solution...as long as I hit the letters and I can post on a web forum....... :P :P
Glad someone got it. :) It could make blykins a legend with the cliffhanger of all time in ST history.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

I came up with a camshaft formula yesterday that works wonders. It only applies to Buick Nailheads with 125A alternators and Felpro oil pan gaskets, but after I get back from my stint in Finland for 6 weeks, I'll fill you in on it. Until I get back, feel free to talk about it for 25 pages so that the thread gets max coverage.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

I find those believing there's some big advantage to tricks like odd ball rod lengths, tend to overlook the important things in favor of tricks of the month.

On a 350 SBC pick a commonly available rod, and study induction tracts, ex tracts, valve timing , valve trains, and leave the trick rods to others.

Randy
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I believe the purpose of the cliffhanger was to stir up thoughts on the mechanical dilemma. The persons who posted solutions make this thread interesting. I think if someone figured it out we wouldn't have several pages of complaining about the authors motives. I'm still waiting for the engineering solution. I'm here for the science and mechanics. It's hard to believe he's stumped us all.
So much to do, so little time...
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Its hard to believe it is being discussed! LOL
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

My personal opinion: This site is about entertainment and education. I think a thread with a welded-up super-long SBC rod and an interesting technical question kind of serves both functions, for me at least. I think this question about super-long rod and negative compression height forces many people out of their comfort zones, which then forces thinking things up from first principles. I can't see this either winning races (unless someone really screwed up the rule book!) or selling parts, so commercial motivations aren't probably underlying the thread. Finally, reading and responding are both completely voluntary activities -- this thread isn't for everyone, and needs not be for everyone.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

I do not know what DV's thinking is on this. I know people say the rod just connects the piston to the crank. But for me this is a rather large change in cylinder volume change verse crank rotation.

Stan
ab-cvc-350.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

blykins wrote:I came up with a camshaft formula yesterday that works wonders. It only applies to Buick Nailheads with 125A alternators and Felpro oil pan gaskets, but after I get back from my stint in Finland for 6 weeks, I'll fill you in on it. Until I get back, feel free to talk about it for 25 pages so that the thread gets max coverage.
:lol:
Craig.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Warp Speed wrote:Its hard to believe it is being discussed! LOL
=D>

Stan has again shown how little rod ratio matters, that's about as extreme as it gets and a 4 degree change in event timing puts it all in check. I also love it when people talk about a 2 degree event timing change equates to anything. Most dyno's are not that accurate and most people don't repeat EXACT conditions so to confirm a +/- and even then a water brake isn't going to cut it, even electric dyno's wont repeat unless EXACT conditions are repeated.

In the elusive chase of 1 or 2 hp you will eventually find 20 but it is very painful to get there and the chase never ends. :mrgreen:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Well. what have we found out?

pdq67
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

pdq67 wrote:Well. what have we found out?

pdq67
That the closest guess earns a free set of steak knives!
Craig.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

i think he's using 2" thick head gaskets lol send me cash instead of ginsu knives please!!!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

In-Tech wrote:
Warp Speed wrote:Its hard to believe it is being discussed! LOL
=D>

Stan has again shown how little rod ratio matters, that's about as extreme as it gets and a 4 degree change in event timing puts it all in check. I also love it when people talk about a 2 degree event timing change equates to anything. Most dyno's are not that accurate and most people don't repeat EXACT conditions so to confirm a +/- and even then a water brake isn't going to cut it, even electric dyno's wont repeat unless EXACT conditions are repeated.

In the elusive chase of 1 or 2 hp you will eventually find 20 but it is very painful to get there and the chase never ends. :mrgreen:
How do you chase 1 or 2 horse power if you can't measure it?
If you chase it and rod length is 1 of those 2 horse power would it be worth discussing?
Just seems like a self defeating statement.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

pdq67 wrote:Well. what have we found out?

pdq67
That some people have it all figured out and if you do something different those people will do their best to discredit you...You see it in the news every day.
On the flip side there are those who don't stop their pursuit of learning and invent things like light bulbs, manned flight and more efficient combustion chambers.
I wonder where we would be if Smokey, Grumpy and Big Daddy had listened to the scoffers of their day?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!