2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

turbo2256b
Pro
Pro
Re: 2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

Post by turbo2256b »

Height differance between intake and ex has to do with the exh using a rotater retainer.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

turbo2256b wrote:Height differance between intake and ex has to do with the exh using a rotater retainer.
NOT completely true ... yes there is a rotator on the exhaust side however, the lock groove on a O.E.M. exhaust valve is .090" further down the stem so, the tip height on those exhaust valves are about .090" longer.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

pOSSIBLY SO THE ROCKER ARM CLEARS THE RETAINER. springs are also different lengths
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

I've used CRANE # 44308-1 spring, retainer, and lock kit on many E7TE heads over the years successfully. This kit has conical springs and different offset locks to compensate for different lock groove heights on the stock valves.
Carlquist Competition Engines
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

Used crane 99841-16 springs with Manley 23642-16 retainers in stead of the crane 99942-16 retainers which were for use with the stock valves.

Would have given the weight differences between the dual springs with steel retainer and crane springs and their retainers but someone stole my triple beams. The manley retainers and crane springs was a huge wt difference over the dual spring set up
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

OK guys it’s head test update time.

The pic below shows those ready for the dyno. ‘Those’ being the GT 40 heads I ported and John Rossello’s (Jcisworthy) modified E7TE’s. Remember I have full FB data for all the test heads from flow, flow efficiency right on thru velocity, total port energy and energy density.
Still for me to finish off are the expertly cut heads from Charlie Carnut 1. The E7TE he re-worked are done but I have to machine the 2.02 intake valves down to the final size used which is 1.97. These will be sprung with CC beehives part # 26918. I am looking to get those done right after I return from my Sydney seminar on Oct 5th.

Also ready to go are a set on nicely re-guided and machined for 3/8ths stud rockers and a spring upgrade is a set of E7TE’S with stock valves and ports.
Also ready to go are a set of E7TE’S with big valves installed and bowl ported to suit.

Close to ready are the 289 heads that Charlie took charge of doing the port work. These are close to top grade and should be very representative of what I was doing two years ago for dominant vintage performance. These needed valve spring pockets re-worked and a change over in rocker hold down threads so they can run stock original and after market roller rockers.

Also in the pic below those of you eagle eyed will have spotted a set of out-of-the-box RPM Performers from Edelbrock. The plan for these is to run them on a 306 as is just to show how very effective they can be when used with the right cam. I have done this test before but I need results in both stock and ported form on three different engines hence some repletion testing. They will see duty in modified form on our head test 347 before going onto a hot 306 build that should be in the 480 hp 410 lbs-ft region.

So with me being out of the country until the 5th of next month don’t look for any updates from me on this thread.

DV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

David, since the heads involved in this dyno competition have different sized valves and most likely valve and retainer weights. How did you calculate spring load so valve surge is removed from the equation? Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Carnut1 wrote:David, since the heads involved in this dyno competition have different sized valves and most likely valve and retainer weights. How did you calculate spring load so valve surge is removed from the equation? Thanks, Charlie
They are all equipped with dynamically good springs and are about 10% stiffer than I would normally use. Lifters are stock but modified for 0.008 max travel.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

The springs I MENTIONED are running about 130 to 140 seat pressure and around 425 open. Shop I HAVE been using was closed for 2 weeks and didnt get to check finial installed height and open pressures. have been told stock ford roller hyd lifters are cast and is my next fear of running higher RPMs as I have heard of them cracking.
Fairly sure I have twisted the block a bit at this point also based on paint cracking and missing around the flange of the oil pan.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

turbo2256b wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:51 pm The springs I MENTIONED are running about 130 to 140 seat pressure and around 425 open. Shop I HAVE been using was closed for 2 weeks and didnt get to check finial installed height and open pressures. have been told stock ford roller hyd lifters are cast and is my next fear of running higher RPMs as I have heard of them cracking.
Fairly sure I have twisted the block a bit at this point also based on paint cracking and missing around the flange of the oil pan.
I have seen cracked stock lifters but have never totally failed one.
DV
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

David Vizard wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:57 pm
turbo2256b wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:51 pm The springs I MENTIONED are running about 130 to 140 seat pressure and around 425 open. Shop I HAVE been using was closed for 2 weeks and didnt get to check finial installed height and open pressures. have been told stock ford roller hyd lifters are cast and is my next fear of running higher RPMs as I have heard of them cracking.
I have seen cracked stock lifters but have never totally failed one.
DV
biggest pain is having to remove the heads on a 5.0 roller block to swap them out
JJ2218

Post by JJ2218 »

Hello, wondering about any progress on these heads? I am still curious to see how it goes since I am undecided about just buying AFR165's or doing something with the E7s.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Not really, I gave an update on my 289 thread. DV had a big week, he has his usual work, his seminar schedule and he wants to start a hands on cylinder head porting class. So not any time soon.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
qikgts

Post by qikgts »

Inquiring minds want to know...lol

Is it getting any closer to a dyno date?
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

qikgts wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:17 pm Inquiring minds want to know...lol

Is it getting any closer to a dyno date?
Yes -hopefully before PRI
DV