General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Cleveland prostock

Post by engineguyBill »

[quote="GARY C".[/quote]
Makes me wonder when M/T came on the scene and how long it took him to be competitive? I have a set of M/T SBC alum rod's, probably 30 years old or better.[/quote

Mickey Thompson came onto the racing scene in the late 1950's. At one time or another he manufactured pistons, aluminum rods, intake manifolds, cast aluminum valve covers, headers, etc. He is probably best known for his valve covers and tires, although as I recall he did not actually manufacture the tires - they were (are) manufactured in Ohio under license agreement to use his name. Same with wheels, I think.

Your M/T aluminum rods are probably at least forty years old, as they were only on the market for a short time in the late 60's, early 70's. Mickey and his wife were murdered in the driveway of their home in 1988.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

In the mid '60's I had both M/T alum rods and roller rocker arms for the SBC.

Stan
MT-Rocker-Arm.gif
MT-Rocker-Text.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Stan were you also running p/s?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

engineguyBill wrote:[quote="GARY C".
Makes me wonder when M/T came on the scene and how long it took him to be competitive? I have a set of M/T SBC alum rod's, probably 30 years old or better.[/quote

Mickey Thompson came onto the racing scene in the late 1950's. At one time or another he manufactured pistons, aluminum rods, intake manifolds, cast aluminum valve covers, headers, etc. He is probably best known for his valve covers and tires, although as I recall he did not actually manufacture the tires - they were (are) manufactured in Ohio under license agreement to use his name. Same with wheels, I think.

Your M/T aluminum rods are probably at least forty years old, as they were only on the market for a short time in the late 60's, early 70's. Mickey and his wife were murdered in the driveway of their home in 1988.[/quote]
Yeah I remember hearing about what happened to them.
The rod I have were in a running dirt track engine when I got them early 2000's they are small journal and it was a 327 block with a 283 crank and heavy solid dome TRW's. I changed the rod's and made a nitrous engine.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

M&H was a staple in Top Fuel and Funny Car for sure , rare in ProStock. Take a look at vintage photos if you weren't there like I was. In the 500ci era Goodyear became the tire to use.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

M & H Racemaster tires were used extensively in all drag racing classes, back in the day including Super Stock, Modified Production, Competition Eliminator, as well as the Pro classes including Pro Stock. Firestone was also used in many of the classes, including Pro Stock, as one time. Hoosier had not yet come onto the scene.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Who ran M&H in Pro Stock? I think Jenkins tested them but I don't remember anyone else running them unless you are thinking about '69 and '70 "four ply side wall " days. This thread is "Cleveland Pro Stock" which puts us in '71. I'm not berating M&H I ran lots of them. EVERYBODY chased them for years.