Sbc 400 on alcohol

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

strokerchevyman

Sbc 400 on alcohol

Post by strokerchevyman »

I would like to know how can I change over from race fuel to alcohol on my sbc 400
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Sbc 400 on alcohol

Post by cgarb »

Depends on the application mainly. It can be carb or injection but both are specific specialized fuel systems. A dirt car set up is different than a drag race system. Just give a more specific application to get a more specific answer.
strokerchevyman

Drag racing what do I need to do first time for me going alcohol it's carburator
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

You can modify your existing carb for alcohol/methanol. It requires extensive changes in all the metering circuits as you will need more flow across range, and really is a job best left for someone that knows what they are doing. Depending on your application, you could even need dual needles and seats for the float bowl. Personally I would recommend trading your gas carb for a purpose built one.
Fuel delivery requirements are very application specific also, you could get away with a generic alcohol compatible pump, or need a belt driven one with a vacuum bypass regulator.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Not just the metering blocks, the boosters have to be changed to ones with larger passages. Unless you have the tools to do your own work you are better off buying an alky built carb.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
strokerchevyman

Final thing I would like to know what the cheapest way to go alcohol or race fuel
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Dump it in the tank is the cheapest....but it don't work very well. Alky...no aluminum fuel cells. What fuel system do you have now?
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

make sure the tank vent is large enough as the fuel must leave the tank at a faster rate than with gasoline so the air must get into the tank faster.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

If you want to switch to alky find a reputable carb builder (or fuel injection provider) and get EVERYTHING from them. Forget all the different advice you'll receive here. The advice here will probably all be good, but won't necessarily work together. I could list some people/companies to call but I'm sure I'd leave some good ones off the list, and that wouldn't be fair.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

cgarb wrote:Dump it in the tank is the cheapest....but it don't work very well. Alky...no aluminum fuel cells. What fuel system do you have now?
An aluminum tank can work just fine if its been anodized. Some fuel cell foam isn't compatible with methanol so that's something to check.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

My advice to anyone with methanol is replace your aluminum fuel line fitting every couple of years. They are anodized but you would be surprised how ate up they will be after a couple years. I left mine go for about 6 years and when I bought new hose planning on using the fittings over, when I pulled them off the old hose they were in very poor shape. Some of the tapered ends were corroded back to the threads. So anodized tanks may be ok, myself the less aluminum components I have the better.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

cgarb wrote:My advice to anyone with methanol is replace your aluminum fuel line fitting every couple of years. They are anodized but you would be surprised how ate up they will be after a couple years. I left mine go for about 6 years and when I bought new hose planning on using the fittings over, when I pulled them off the old hose they were in very poor shape. Some of the tapered ends were corroded back to the threads. So anodized tanks may be ok, myself the less aluminum components I have the better.
The problem is moisture getting into the fuel. If it is run very often and fresh fuel is always going through the system corrosion isn't a problem.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

when my customers ran alky with a carb I advised them to flush the system with gasoline after each night of racing and have a shut off valve on the fuel tank vent to keep out moisture . when I rebuilt their carbs I could tell who did not listen. :D