First time out with new 412Reher Morrison looking for opinions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Old School
Pro
Pro
Re: First time out with new 412Reher Morrison looking for opinions

Post by Old School »

How much did you gain in et and mph from the gear change?

How many more rpms are you going across the finish line?
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

Old School wrote:How much did you gain in et and mph from the gear change?

How many more rpms are you going across the finish line?
It went from 6.21 to 6.18 now. I also ran a 6.21 this weekend with the timing pulled back but at 107mph instead of the 110mph it was running the previous race to get a 6.21. So that shows me the car is doing better with these gears. I believe I need fuel system upgrades now. I'm only running a holley black pump. I have an Aeromotive A1000 and will hook it up with a return system. I am also going to change hood to cowl induction with a Innovative Racecraft lexan scoop for next season. The rpms through the traps was just over 7000. I never checked my recall tach but my 7000 shift light was coming on at mph cone.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

5600rpm JW stall
Was the converter made specifically for this combo, or just a converter you had before? You can change gear ratios forever and not make as much difference as the right converter will.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

woody b wrote:
5600rpm JW stall
Was the converter made specifically for this combo, or just a converter you had before? You can change gear ratios forever and not make as much difference as the right converter will.
No it came with the car. That is also on my to do list. I will get a dyno sheet and I want to try Freak Show Perf in Texas. The conv I have is a 8". He says he will build me a 9 or 9.5" can't remember which , but he doesn't like 8". I have a few bugs to work out but I'm happy and appreciate all the advice you guys have given me.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Coan or A-1 have had great luck with both.
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

Update best ET is now 6.12@112mph. Best 60ft is a 1.31
330914DC-2431-470E-AB53-6489119BAAD1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

What did you end up changing?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Great picture Vega John-----that has got to be a blast----have FUN, Mark H. :D =D>
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

Thanks, yes it’s quite the rush. The wheelies are less dramatic from inside the car. When I see pics it seems higher than it feels. At the end of the season the car went hard left and I had to pedal it and the oil pans of the engine and tranny hit the track. I had been bandaiding a left pull all year with wheelie bar stagger instead of finding the real issue. I had lowered the rear spring preload and I’m sure the right coil over was bottoming out hard a planting the right rear harder. It’s the only thing that makes sense. On the scales the numbers say it should go right if anything. I’m changing the whole rear coil overs and mounts and adding limiters and double adjustable front shocks. I have also lost over 50lbs since Dec so with all the changes I’d love to run a 5.9 on motor. The only thing I changed to get to 6.12 from 6.21 was the gears from 4.88 to 5.62 like Big Joe told me to.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Do as Big Joe Sherman would do. Get a tunnel ram and 2x4 carbs.
A alternative :
Just for grins as a alternative to a $$$ Dominator $$$
Consider this:
This car is ideal for using 2x4 carbs on a adapter , on your existing 4 bbl racing intake manifold.
The 2x4 carbs you use (and how they are mounted) can be many.
Lots Lots of choices here. No rules..;-)
This is the car for it.
The single 950 carb is holding the car back, now that it has some gear and plenty 7000 ish RPM at the 1/8th stripe. Thinking 2x750 cfm HP's. (Sideways mounted)
2x650 AVS2 carbs (inline) would rock. Ya you read that right. In this reguard, there is nothing stopping you from
Switching between this 2x4 carb set on a good SBC Tunnel Ram (eg: Victor Ram) and also the 2x4 adapter using your existing 4 bbl racing intake.
This is the car for it.
No Rules :)
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:07 am Do as Big Joe Sherman would do. Get a tunnel ram and 2x4 carbs.
A alternative :
Just for grins as a alternative to a $$$ Dominator $$$
Consider this:
This car is ideal for using 2x4 carbs on a adapter , on your existing 4 bbl racing intake manifold.
The 2x4 carbs you use (and how they are mounted) can be many.
Lots Lots of choices here. No rules..;-)
This is the car for it.
The single 950 carb is holding the car back, now that it has some gear and plenty 7000 ish RPM at the 1/8th stripe. Thinking 2x750 cfm HP's. (Sideways mounted)
2x650 AVS2 carbs (inline) would rock. Ya you read that right. In this reguard, there is nothing stopping you from
Switching between this 2x4 carb set on a good SBC Tunnel Ram (eg: Victor Ram) and also the 2x4 adapter using your existing 4 bbl racing intake.
This is the car for it.
No Rules :)

I actually wrote you a PM 2 days ago and somehow couldn’t figure out how to send it to you and set it to myself lol. The was a super rare Pro Ram2 on eBay that had been cut ole and the tops of the runners radiused and welded back together. I was going to buy it but wanted your blessing first. I know my 412 would love a T ram. The cam is right around 286/296@50 .750/.720 lift. I have the one 950hp Holley I think I would just get a twin and try it. There is a set of 660 center squirters on a local buy n sell but they just don’t seem big enough.
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

I also bought a 1050 dominator and had a buddy port me up a super victor 4500 series intake so I have that to try also. I’m sure I will gain with it but the tunnel ram is where it’s at for sure. It’s just a lot of money to drop by the time I get the carbs linkage and the intake but I guess I’d have 2 intakes and 2 other carbs I wouldn’t be needing cause I know I’d never go back lol.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Cannot tell you much about the Pro Ram 2 manifold
Or the mods done... 1way or other specificily.
The pair of 950 carbs will need full rework to dial in on a tunnel ram. I'd rather see you start with 2 750 hp (1.40" venturi) or 2 850 based carbs.
I am not crazy about the "950" carbs. The 750 size venturi is much more responsive overall. Especially in 2x4 use.
Again plan on needing to dial in the fuel curve on a pair of these for a tunnel ram deal.
IMHO the 750 DP or HP holley and the 830- 850 holley carbs are a better start point for TR carbs.

According to Joe Sherman the 660 center squirters ALWAYS ALWAYS WORK GOOD and usually are very close out of the box so if these are heavy modified maybe skip...
The 2x 660’s are enough. Do not discount running 2x eddy carbs on it. (2x650,,,2x750, 2x800avs2) They don't need much more than jetting for a tunnel ram (or on a 2x4 adapter). In dyno testing these carbs A vs B against holley tunnel ram carbs these get very close to prepped holley tunnel ram carbs and for peanuts...
Yesvthe holleys are a bit more powerfull. But not that much. (Especially for bracket racing purpose).

Now you got the dominator carb+ manifold you can A-B compare against all these combos as you wish....or....
my thoughts... No rules.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Is that the sbc Pro Ram II (from NC) currently listed on E-vil Bay? that has the welded on carb top? That carb top 2x4150 style apears to be from a old TRX series tunnel ram. I would much much prefer a bolt on removable top to allow plenum mods.
I would have welded 2 flanges on and make it 2 piece bolt on, not welded on.
Now you can play with height, volume +/-, shape and port entry stuff.....
If it does not appear too Fubared up inside /bad porting, it might be fun for you.. You can use many different carbs.
You'll either love it or hate it.
There are 0 bids.... Offer $200 US...

As I said.. You do have the right car/motor for this and now you got the gearing to alliw you to take advantage of 2x4 carburation. Thumbs down re: 2x950's on this one tho.....
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Question: Will your car fit a 33.5" slick?
(Thinkin for NOS → down the road)...:-)
Adding 100 to 150 Horsepower...
120 mph 1/8 th... 7300 rpm trap..
You can dial that +/- as you like....