The dual engine Triumph bike at the track

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

The dual engine Triumph bike at the track

Post by Truckedup »

Some of you wanted a report on the double vintage engine Triumph bike's first land speed racing runs....My friend and rider took the bikes to Loring Maine to run the standing start 1-1/2 mile.....I was not able to go because we are moving.. On the first run he held back to feel out the bike and ran 142 MPH....The second run was full throttle but the rear engine starting misfiring so he backed off, the carb was flooding .......Also noticed was the front engine had only 30 psi oil pressure rather than the required 75 psi at speed...He pulled the side cover, checked oil flow and the oil pump..all ok so it must be a connecting rod bearing issue....But my home built junk ran straight down the track and the drive line functioned perfectly...And nothing fell off :D
And the good news...The other bike, 650 modified production Triumph did what it always does, set a speed record...He ran a 133 plus MPH reclaim the track record which I believe is the fastest time ever for a stock framed 650 cc push rod bike on gas at any LSR track....Being nothing more than a retired electrician working from a home shop I would like to thank the several guys here who gave me tuning tips... =D>

Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
roc
Expert
Expert

Re: The dual engine Triumph bike at the track

Post by roc »

Really cool Truckedup, well done! Any pics or vids?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Awesome result!
Without looking back, did you end up making a cam/cam timing change? Some exhaust tuning?
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I shortened the two straight pipes to 34 inches,and changed the exhaust cam timing from 105 to 107.5.....I also fabricated a fuel tank allowing the rider to tuck better....
The dual engine bike is a pig on the track... The cams are all wrong for my type tuning...
The bike was run with no megaphones...

My friend on my hillbilly special..

Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
73c34me

Post by 73c34me »

Very nice, congratulations! My triumph is a 79 boneville
amcenthusiast
Pro
Pro

Post by amcenthusiast »

Looks like he was having fun!

What I admire most about 'the motorcycle people' is the courage; I can only imagine what your bikes feel like with no fairing at those speeds...

-must be high pressure areas forming on various parts of the rider's body... a true aerodynamic/physical test of how a human should hold on to the bike?

(no wonder why you made the frame hugger gas tank!)

----------------------------------------------

I expected to see a much smaller rear sprocket on the back... but that pic shows a sprocket that I think would be for urban use?

I'm self educated on chains -all the info I've read says big links with larger diameter rollers can handle more load but smaller roller chains with multiple rows can handle higher rpms better...

I threw a chain on my '72 Yamaha only going about 50 mph; that was scary like crazy... very violent surprise! (glad it didn't break my leg)

IMO, it's worth it to do some research, on chains, so you can have two legs to walk around with... (the chain is wicked dangerous)

Surely the price of the best new chain you can put on your bike is cheaper than buying a new left leg?

Please at least keep your chains in tip top condition when doing the top speed runs -as perfect as possible.

--------------------------------------------------

More power to you man! -I like these old Triumphs; great looking vintage engines/super cool -thanks for posting
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
YouTube video of 443 XRV8 Gremlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmFOKRuzUc
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Triumphs have a 2-1 primary ratio, the secondary ratio is 2.14 for a 4.28 overall gear ratio...133 mph at 6950 rpm...The 530 and 520 chain used on the back is very common on many bikes with a lot more power and speed....Broken chains on the street are generally from lack of maintenance...I use high quality Tsubaki, DID or RK chain...
amcenthusiast
Pro
Pro

Post by amcenthusiast »

Alright good to hear you are keen about keeping your chain in excellent condition -I just really admire the courageous personalities of motorcycle racers.
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
YouTube video of 443 XRV8 Gremlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmFOKRuzUc
twl
Expert
Expert

Post by twl »

Nice job!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

twl wrote:Nice job!
Thanks, I changed the exhaust cam timing to 107 as you suggested.cut two inches off the pipes and a lower fuel tank to give the rider a better position..Geared the bike to run 133 because I thought it could do it.....The BSA that took the record from me two years ago blew his engine trying to beat us.. :D
Not bragging and not fair to compare different events, but no 650 push rod bike on gas in a modified stock naked frame class has ever run this fast in LSR...
twl
Expert
Expert

Post by twl »

Truckedup wrote:
twl wrote:Nice job!
Thanks, I changed the exhaust cam timing to 107 as you suggested.cut two inches off the pipes and a lower fuel tank to give the rider a better position..Geared the bike to run 133 because I thought it could do it.....The BSA that took the record from me two years ago blew his engine trying to beat us.. :D
Not bragging and not fair to compare different events, but no 650 push rod bike on gas in a modified stock naked frame class has ever run this fast in LSR...
Awesome!

I'm super happy that it all worked out for you.
That was a really great record.
:)
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Congrats! Nice work, guys.
-Bob