Race Engine Challenge

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by David Vizard »

Am I understanding this? Are we saying no more EMC at UNO or anywhere else for that matter?

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

David Vizard wrote:Am I understanding this? Are we saying no more EMC at UNO or anywhere else for that matter?

DV
The "Engine Masters" magazine is no longer published so it's "gone".
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
David Vizard wrote:Am I understanding this? Are we saying no more EMC at UNO or anywhere else for that matter?

DV
The "Engine Masters" magazine is no longer published so it's "gone".

Thanks Walter,

I am guessing from this the REC will happen with no other competing event. This could possible mean a glut of entries for the REC event.

Glad I got my entry in already!

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Of course, when the EM competition began there was no magazine and it could go on without one. I'm amazed though that with all the Speedtalkers who have competed in it through the years, no one has said a word.. :?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

MadBill wrote:Of course, when the EM competition began there was no magazine and it could go on without one. I'm amazed though that with all the Speedtalkers who have competed in it through the years, no one has said a word.. :?
They use to publish a lot of the engines in Popular Hot Rodding.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

I hear no rules until PRI. Damned if that doesn't keep us guessing. Greg seems tight lipped on rules but I do know that 289 is lower than the lowest limit that is going to be allowed.

My thoughts here would be to have 350 as the lower limit as it would allow 5.0 strokers into the game as well as the bigger Ford Mod Motors.

Before Greg solidifies the rules we need to make our thoughts known here so let's have some lower limit inches and the reasons why.

Thanks
DV
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

Regardless of the specific rules, hearing and seeing the engines run on the Dyno in competition is the most thrilling form of motorsports for me. I love the simplicity of just the engine doing its thing..it is awesome!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

David Vizard wrote:I hear no rules until PRI. Damned if that doesn't keep us guessing. Greg seems tight lipped on rules but I do know that 289 is lower than the lowest limit that is going to be allowed.

My thoughts here would be to have 350 as the lower limit as it would allow 5.0 strokers into the game as well as the bigger Ford Mod Motors.

Before Greg solidifies the rules we need to make our thoughts known here so let's have some lower limit inches and the reasons why.

Thanks
DV
If it's being judged on Power per Cube platform then why do you need CI limits?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Generally speaking, for a given number of cylinders the fewer cubes the better re specific power.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

MadBill wrote: Generally speaking, for a given number of cylinders the fewer cubes the better re specific power.
That is only true if there is no upper RPM limitation. TORQUE output is a major player if there is one.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

DV
The magazine has been discontinued. The contest lives on with coverage in Hot Rod.
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

midnightbluS10 wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote:unlike emc where most if not all will never see a car, be nice to see one installed in a car, and driven
It is obvious that you have no real clue about how or where some of those EMC engines continue to live.

Several reside in cars, trucks and even boats and have for years after the running of that contest.

You may not agree or even like that contest but, at least know what you are talking about.

Didn't somebody build one and run it in EMC, put it in a car that put quite a few miles on it after the contest, and then pulled it out and took it back the next year without so much as a freshening?
That is mine. A 433 inch FE that has been in a couple Challenges over the years. We built it, competed successfully, and then brought it back and installed it in my car. Took the car to the FE race in Beaver Springs that April & ran it, took it to the Fairlane show at Ford HQ later that summer, ran it at the Detroit Dragway Reunion at Milan, and took it to the Woodward Cruise. Basically made sure that the car with that engine was visible at lots of places. Then we pulled it out & changed just the cam (did not even pull the intake - held the lifters up with tag wire) and entered it into the following year's Challenge. Cam change was because they lowered the RPM range for that particular year. After that run - again reasonably competitive - it went back into the car where it still resides. Although its getting really tired with well over 300 dyno pulls and several dozen passes, it still ran an 11.0 in my 3700 lb streeter Torino a short while ago - smoking like a train and really deserving a true freshening. The whole point was to prove that these are not fragile dyno queens.
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

Barry_R wrote:
midnightbluS10 wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
It is obvious that you have no real clue about how or where some of those EMC engines continue to live.

Several reside in cars, trucks and even boats and have for years after the running of that contest.

You may not agree or even like that contest but, at least know what you are talking about.

Didn't somebody build one and run it in EMC, put it in a car that put quite a few miles on it after the contest, and then pulled it out and took it back the next year without so much as a freshening?
That is mine. A 433 inch FE that has been in a couple Challenges over the years. We built it, competed successfully, and then brought it back and installed it in my car. Took the car to the FE race in Beaver Springs that April & ran it, took it to the Fairlane show at Ford HQ later that summer, ran it at the Detroit Dragway Reunion at Milan, and took it to the Woodward Cruise. Basically made sure that the car with that engine was visible at lots of places. Then we pulled it out & changed just the cam (did not even pull the intake - held the lifters up with tag wire) and entered it into the following year's Challenge. Cam change was because they lowered the RPM range for that particular year. After that run - again reasonably competitive - it went back into the car where it still resides. Although its getting really tired with well over 300 dyno pulls and several dozen passes, it still ran an 11.0 in my 3700 lb streeter Torino a short while ago - smoking like a train and really deserving a true freshening. The whole point was to prove that these are not fragile dyno queens.
Correct me if I'm wrong Barry. But I believe you had pics of the old girl pullin wheelies with the emc engine in it too! A very street worthy bad mamajamma!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Barry_R wrote:
midnightbluS10 wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:

Thank you, Barry. Awesome engine. I did remember you changing cams, also, but wasn't sure I was recalling correctly. Thanks for the clarification.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote:unlike emc where most if not all will never see a car, be nice to see one installed in a car, and driven

Walter is right. The idea that all the EMC engines are fragile dyno queens is completely wrong.

We've raced our 2011 entry, and had it on the dyno a lot since the EMC.

Randy